C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a car from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 05:45 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Importing a car from Canada

I'm looking into a Z06 that is for sale in Canada, I live in California. Does anyone know the process that needs to happen to make it a U.S. car again? The car originally was a U.S. car. The owner also said he would drive it across the border to drop it off at a shipper in North Dakota. It looks like there are a couple forms and maybe pay a fee? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Might have to make additional mods to make it a California car.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Might have to make additional mods to make it a California car.
I would contact the DMV to see what needs to be done (if anything) to make it 'CA' legal.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

As an original US car that will not be an issue, pretty much the main thing is it has to have over 7500 miles to make it a CA car (CA has the dumbest rules/laws lol). Mainly concerned with getting it over the border legally.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I'm originally from CA, my brothers & sister still live there, and am familiar with some of their 'strange' laws lol. About 7 years ago, my brother bought a Vette from another state and it took him over a year and couple of thousand dollars to get it 'up to CA standards'. I know the only 'mods' it had at the time were CAI & an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. Don't know what all the issues were after he returned those back to stock, just remember him calling me about every other month after he'd taken it down to be inspected & it failing ...
Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I imported a vehicle from the USA into Canada in 2009. Although it sounds and looks like a complicated thing to do, it's quite easy. The Internet and/or the US customs will help you out with the info that you need. Since Canada and the US have a NAFTA agreement, that makes it seamless, especially since it is a North American vehicle.
If you don't want to bother doing it yourself, you can get a brokerage-import firm to do the work for you for a nominal fee.

You just have to fill out a few forms, make sure that you get a copy of the bill of sale, the registration-Vin # in your name, a letter from a GM dealer or GM USA that there are no outstanding Safety Recalls on the vehicle in question. A GM dealer can get that for you as well via the Vin # (VIS Report) on a GM letterhead.
You will have to fax the documents (Bill of sale, registration-VIN #, recall letter) to your port of Entry on the Canadian side.
Your buddy cannot drive the car over to the US for you, you have to do that.
Once you check into the Canadian customs (Border crossing) with the original documents that match the faxed copies, then the Canadian side will let you cross into the US.
You then pay the Federal tax, and the emission fee, the paperwork cost, fill out a few forms, then your good to go.

Check this out for further details:
Good luck
http://www.bordercenter.org/chem/vehicles.htm
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

So does that mean I would need a passport do it?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:59 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Mike get that thing into the us and ill go get it for ya...just get me there ...=)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM
jdlew
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
So does that mean I would need a passport do it?
not a full passport, you can go to the post office and there is a lesser passport (dont remember the exact name) that allows you to go to Canada. it would be what you needed to get if you wanted to go visit Niagara Falls. there not expensive at all.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ a Passport Card

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...-and-Card.html
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM
markk22
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This is a very easy process, I just did it 2 weeks ago. Just make sure all the factory stickers are on the car. There is a epa sticker, a dot sticker and a manufactures sticker on the car. This and a bill of sale along with the Canadian title is all you need to get it into the u.s. The Ontario title is just a small slip of paper, nothing like some u.s. titles. California DMV may require inspections for registration but you need Nothing else at the border. Just drive it over and declair it on the U.S. side. Nothing needs to be done in Canada prior to crossing, assuming there is no loan on it from a Canadian bank. Pm me if you have any questions.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:19 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, how things have changed with the dollar these days. My first two corvettes were purchased in the USA and imported into Canada, but back in the 90's there were a lot of sports cars, trucks and SUV's heading south. Right now there is a recession in the economy up here so for sellers it is good to see somebody buying!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 PM
68sting
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also looking at a car in Canada. It happens to be a 2010 CTSV and it looks like I might have to pay the gas guzzler tax also($2600). I would love to hear from somebody who's already done this. What kind of additional expenses am I looking at buying a car out of Canada versus the US? Any info would be appreciated?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

I have brought cars from the states to Canada. From what I've heard it's way easier to import a car t the US (can't speak for CA). If it was originally an American car, it will be easier. I believe you would have to obtain a new title. As mentioned contact a broker...they are pretty reasonable and take all the worry out of iT. Do your homework and it's pretty simple....
Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 AM
68sting
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a broker they would recommend? Also this car has some mods on it, for example the cats are removed. I'm concerned this could be an issue. Anybody know how that might affect the import process?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM
finewayne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have no experience with it, but this could be the reference:
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.V5dqyfl96M8

Get notified of new replies

To Importing a car from Canada

Quick Reply: Importing a car from Canada