C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB, ONLY ME!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Corvette Convertible Paper Weight ! HELP !

Well, typical with my luck, I finally got my replacement Key Fob for the one I was told was bad, only to find out it was not bad, the battery was.

So I could never get it to program or to recognize the one I was using so after the unneeded replacement arrived, I took it today o have the dealer program it.

Well, they also could not get it to program so they wiped them all and then attempted to relearn them. It failed. Then they wiped them and tried again. It failed. What I thought would be a 15-30 minute process, became much longer. Since they did this at the area where you drive the car up instead of in a bay. Now the car is a big pretty paper weight. That is right, now I get, No FOBS Detected and it will not learn them.

So, I arrived at 1:30, they took me home at 5pm and hope that they can fix it tomorrow by what the tech said was hard wiring it? He used an OBD-II type tool to wipe them and to get them to then go into relearn mode which as I said failed.

So what I thought was a simple process sent me home without my car until tomorrow or maybe Monday if they cannot fix it tomorrow.

So my question is this. It would not learn them by using the slot in the glove box, he then wiped them and tried to relearn them again from the slot, no luck, and last he said was something about hard wiring it to fix it.

Does anyone know what he is talking about and can I have faith that this can be fixed and that I do not now own one of the worlds biggest paper weights?

What I the process after this? What is the so called hard wiring? Will that work or is there a way to force it if worst comes to worst?

Oddly they were doing this for me at no charge, now we have all this. But, I never asked him or said it was ok to wipe the one that worked, but then again. Can anyone tell me what is gong on?

Only me....

Last edited by GhostC6; 08-29-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I have no idea what hard wiring means but it doesn't sound good. Yo should print out the instructions for the Long program procedure and bring it to them in case they have somebody working on it that is totally clueless, which is what it sounds like.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Impossible to diagnose without knowing "where" the process failed. Plus I don't know how the Tech II fits into the process, if it eliminates some of the steps we have to use when doing it at home.

Wiping all FOB's is how it has to be done in order to program new ones so they can access the memory functions/settings, as only the 1st and 2nd FOB's programmed can do that.

Sorry but I don't think we can offer much at the moment. Maybe cclive will know something if he sees this.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Ditto, sounds strange since the tech II tool was able to communicate with the RCDLR to wipe it in the first place, and even putting it in learn mode and now sounds like a problem with the RCDLR itself instead.

He should be able to reflash the RCDLR if it needs to be reprogrammed pretty quick via the tech II, and if it not taking the reflash and working after that, then may have to replace the RCDLR itself.

As for the RCDLR, it's the back box unit above the radio/top right duct, and with the Fob in the slot, you can't get the fob much closer to the RCDLR than that.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...message-9.html
Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I'd be willing to bet there is nothing at all wrong with the car and the problem is operator error.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

He did not do anything around the trunk so whatever he plugged into it must provide another way for it to get into the mode where it says ready for FOB # 3, that is where it failed with me and with him. Then, he decided or the next step was to do the complete relearn process where he wiped the ones in there and then it said ready for FOB # 1, and that is where it failed. When the FOB was inserted into the slot, they were not recognized. Even when I did the test it failed to recognize the one that worked for me.

Called today, car not done, still a large paper weight. Since TAC is closed today it will be Monday before he can call them to find out what to do from here.

This concerns me for two reasons. One, I want to be able to drive my car. Second, since I had a lot of stuff done just the days before, they said they would do this for me at no charge. Now what happens? What is there is a broken part or something or the time to fix this? I never said to wipe the only one that works, they never even asked, it was just done. Now this, am I going to end up paying for this or what?

One headache after another with this car.

And the tech is their primary corvette tech so he does know what he is doing, he even knows what nuts and bolts are correct but apparently something here is not making sense to him. I have no idea, I am just tired of one thing after another. It seems I cannot put gas in the car without another problem popping up.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by EVRose
I'd be willing to bet there is nothing at all wrong with the car and the problem is operator error.
Originally Posted by GhostC6
And the tech is their primary corvette tech so he does know what he is doing, he even knows what nuts and bolts are correct but apparently something here is not making sense to him.
Just because their best guy is the one doing the work, doesn't mean he knows or remembers how it all works. If he's really dedicated to his profession, he'll research and have an answer before the doors open Monday. Otherwise, you may see some parts changing going on, because that's what happens when you don't know how to fix stuff.

I'm guessing the "hard wire" thing was just to buy time. It's a case of either dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with BS and the BS was all the guy had left.

Never fear, for this too shall pass and only the memory will remain.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Just because their best guy is the one doing the work, doesn't mean he knows or remembers how it all works. If he's really dedicated to his profession, he'll research and have an answer before the doors open Monday. Otherwise, you may see some parts changing going on, because that's what happens when you don't know how to fix stuff.

I'm guessing the "hard wire" thing was just to buy time. It's a case of either dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with BS and the BS was all the guy had left.

Never fear, for this too shall pass and only the memory will remain.
I guess what gets me is if the slot would not recognize the FOBs, why would he erase them all unless he had a 3rd option to force it to work. That is why I never erased them all myself because I knew if it failed I would be screwed. I figured when they said he erased them all that he had a way to use a tool or Tech II to force it to work. You would think you could access the system using the OBD-II and Tech II to go in there and manually enter the FOBs so they work. Apparently it is not that simple, if it was I would have my car.

Crappy part is my car was there 2 weeks, I finally picked it up Thursday at 3pm and paid a huge bill to get it repaired. Then I took it the next day, less than 24 hours later to have this done, now it has been there 4 more days as of tomorrow. I cannot seem to be able to have anything go easy with this car.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:54 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I guess what gets me is if the slot would not recognize the FOBs, why would he erase them all unless he had a 3rd option to force it to work. That is why I never erased them all myself because I knew if it failed I would be screwed. I figured when they said he erased them all that he had a way to use a tool or Tech II to force it to work. You would think you could access the system using the OBD-II and Tech II to go in there and manually enter the FOBs so they work. Apparently it is not that simple, if it was I would have my car.

Crappy part is my car was there 2 weeks, I finally picked it up Thursday at 3pm and paid a huge bill to get it repaired. Then I took it the next day, less than 24 hours later to have this done, now it has been there 4 more days as of tomorrow. I cannot seem to be able to have anything go easy with this car.

Would that not leave the car vulnerable to anyone with a Tech II? Perhaps that's why it's not that simple.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Would that not leave the car vulnerable to anyone with a Tech II? Perhaps that's why it's not that simple.
Yes I would, good point.

By the way, I was looking at the long and short procedures on how to program the FOBs. Some were asking about not knowing where it fails, here is that information.

Short Procedure Fail

It fails at step 6 or 7, it says ready for FOB #3 but does not recognize the new or old ones.

Long Procedure Fail

It fails at step 20, it does the 3 10 minute count downs, then says ready for FOB #1, the FOB is placed in the slot and it fails to recognize any of my 3 good FOBs.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:05 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring or a photo of the left side of the back of the glove box where the slot and the other stuff is.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I'm sure you are putting the fob in that slot with the buttons facing the right, right?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Yes, I did and they did.

I remembered over the weekend that when I first got the car I was working on the glove box because the door did not shut evenly. I remembered when I took the parts off I saw some wires that were cut and hanging loose on the right side that had to do with the child restraint switch and the light. But I remembered on the left things did not look right, I took pics but thought nothing else about it.

If you look at the diagram, the keyless antenna goes in a slot, beside the slot in the back for the fob.

If you look in the second pic, my antenna is sitting there on top of something and not in that slot.

Could this be the problem? I did pass this along to the mechanic this morning, I hope they can get this fixed. Hopefully this is all it is.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
carefulnow (06-06-2016)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I don't know if any of the work that they did earlier in the week involved removing the glovebox, but it looks to me like the slot antenna was not replaced in the proper location...which would not allow it to pick up a fob in the slot. From that diagram, it shows the antenna going in its' own slot which is directly behind the fob slot.

If they can't figure it out, I would just get it into the program mode as you did before(long procedure only at this point) and then hold the first fob end to end with that antenna.

Last edited by cclive; 08-31-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by cclive
I don't know if any of the work that they did earlier in the week involved removing the glovebox, but it looks to me like the slot antenna was not replaced in the proper location...which would not allow it to pick up a fob in the slot. From that diagram, it shows the antenna going in its' own slot which is directly behind the fob slot.
That definitely looks like it's been messed with and rigged back in place and in the wrong place. I change my "operator error" statement to "whoever messed with the fob slot screwed it up".
Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That definitely looks like it's been messed with and rigged back in place and in the wrong place. I change my "operator error" statement to "whoever messed with the fob slot screwed it up".
I have to agree. Also looks like some broken bits of plastic in that area as well. Someone really jacked it up in there.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:21 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks to me like you found your problem. The proximity of the FOB to the antenna has to be very close for it to be able to read the RFID chip in it. It looks like the learn process is failing because the antenna is out of place. I suspect that if you remove the glovebox and lay the FOB on top of the antenna that you'll be able to get it to program.

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB, ONLY ME!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Well, this is the way I found it when I bought the car. Not sure if I put it where it goes since I would have no idea where it would go, or if I somehow figured it out.

This dealer did not do this, someone else did prior to me owning the car.

The mechanic said the Tech II cannot communicate with the RCDLR and that the unit is bad. First they said no one had any, then, after 3 updated part numbers they have one but will take 4 days to get here, I found one cheaper and they will overnight it to me tomorrow.

So all goes well it should arrive Wednesday. I hope that they will work with me to not charge me for labor since I bought the part that I did not need until they wiped all my FOBs. Not holding my breath.

I think he is checking the antenna placement, just in case it is not right. I wish they would find it wrong, fix it and then the car learn the FOBs as normal, but we know, especially in my world it does not work that way.

One damn thing after another.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I can tell just by looking at it that its wrong and not in the right place. It looks like someone might have leaned on the glove box door and broke the frame all to pieces. That antenna is just laying there on top of the frame all crooked and glued down with that black junk. No way that's how it should be. That has to be the problem and not a bad RCDLR.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree. You should fix that antenna module position before replacing any more parts.

Quick Reply: Key FOB, ONLY ME!