C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Beef-J
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Ride

Probably a thread on this but anybody that has went from a base coupe to a magnetic ride is it worth all the money?? Looking at an 2016 with Mag ride. Do not track my car so just wondering. Not familiar with the mag ride don't know how it compares to regular suspension.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

As a previous owner of both, it might be worth it if you had really bad roads you'll normally drive on. Base suspension is very good.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

For the money , no. Besides initial cost , there is a HUGE difference down the road when (if) you ever need to replace the shocks due to age or whatever.

Do they make any difference? Well, i dont know about with F55 and without , but....

We have a 2011 GS Auto with F55.

The tour/sport makes zero (as in zilch) difference between them. I do NOT track race but bad roads and other regular driving , there is zero difference which setting is selected. We have some really bad ones here , great for testing rough roads and without a doubt, neither of us can tell a difference.

Either our switch/wiring/shocks are not connected or deactivated or you can only tell a difference on a race course (that we havent tried).

Back to your question. Not worth the cost in your case as far as i can tell. However , i suspect resell might be somewhat worth the cost (?).
Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

My experience is with a 2008 Base car(my current ride): the magnetic ride makes a difference when you push the base car close to the limits during spirited drives in the twisties and on the track. The mag ride takes the edge off on the rough roads. So far, I have not regretted getting the F55.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Carsonvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have magnetic suspension, for me the shocks help keep the car's composure when going fast and hitting big bumps on the road. The car always stays level going fast on rough roads.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:14 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Magnetic Ride

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
For the money , no. Besides initial cost , there is a HUGE difference down the road when (if) you ever need to replace the shocks due to age or whatever.

Do they make any difference? Well, i dont know about with F55 and without , but....

We have a 2011 GS Auto with F55.

The tour/sport makes zero (as in zilch) difference between them. I do NOT track race but bad roads and other regular driving , there is zero difference which setting is selected. We have some really bad ones here , great for testing rough roads and without a doubt, neither of us can tell a difference.

Either our switch/wiring/shocks are not connected or deactivated or you can only tell a difference on a race course (that we havent tried).

Back to your question. Not worth the cost in your case as far as i can tell. However , i suspect resell might be somewhat worth the cost (?).
Ä° also have a 11 GS but with 6 speed and f55. I immediately feel the difference when i switch to sport at any speed. It is less in slow speeds, huge on very high speeds and cornering and also dependent on the road surface. Most of the time i drive in the tour but switch to sport when i want to seriously fool around. I love having that option of nice taut suspension and shocks that respond immediately. I suggest you get someone look over yours as it may not be working for some reason. It is crime to have it and not being able to enjoy it once in a while. Only other thing that comes to mind that the roads are so smooth and perfect where you live that it is hard to feel the difference. But 0 difference, no way.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Doubt It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice a difference when I switch it, Its good when you want to drive spirited, after that it goes back into tour mode.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by cheetah45
My experience is with a 2008 Base car(my current ride): the magnetic ride makes a difference when you push the base car close to the limits during spirited drives in the twisties and on the track. The mag ride takes the edge off on the rough roads. So far, I have not regretted getting the F55.
and I can tell the difference between my f55 and my old 013 base without it.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:58 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have owned all the combinations of C6 cars with and w/o Mag ride. Had both coupes and verts with A6 or MN6. Traded a 2013 MN6 GS coupe for a 2012 A6 GS vert. The 13 had F55, the 12 does not.
Since I do not push my cars, I can say that the F-55 made very little, if any, difference. Possibly over tar expander strips on the highway there could be a little difference. I definitely would not spend the money if I were to order a new car.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:39 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Beef-J
Probably a thread on this but anybody that has went from a base coupe to a magnetic ride is it worth all the money?? Looking at an 2016 with Mag ride. Do not track my car so just wondering. Not familiar with the mag ride don't know how it compares to regular suspension.
You'd get better info on the C7 forum rather than ask here, since the MRC shocks used are a newer generation and on a suspension that is tuned differently. It's akin to discussing flip phones with or without cameras.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride