C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup camera install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Backup camera install question

I just purchased a mirror mounted backup camera system for my base 2007. I previously installed one in my avalanche. After reading a couple of hours worth of threads here, I have this question;

I connected the camera to the reverse light (so it only comes on when in reverse)and the monitor to the auxiliary outlet. With the ignition off the monitor is still powered but the camera isn't, so I figured there would be no battery drain.

Is this wrong?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by COCO RICK
I just purchased a mirror mounted backup camera system for my base 2007. I previously installed one in my avalanche. After reading a couple of hours worth of threads here, I have this question;

I connected the camera to the reverse light (so it only comes on when in reverse)and the monitor to the auxiliary outlet. With the ignition off the monitor is still powered but the camera isn't, so I figured there would be no battery drain.

Is this wrong?
well, a couple things here. First that means the monitor is running 24/7, sounds like it will shorten the life of the monitor. The monitor uses very little power but how about hooking it up to the wiper/heated seat fuse using a fuse tap method?

i havent measured the monitors but i have bench tested them using a regular 9volt smoke detector type battery and they work fine so they dont have many amps. generally speaking , we all have enough problems with battery drain with everything off that can be off, so i think actually intensionally adding drain is a bad thing.

NOTE: the wiper/heated seat has power only when car is running. When you finally get it all running and stable , drop by with pictures and what you think of it and how you installed it. We (i especially) would like to hear about it!!!!!

Last edited by ChevyDave; 09-04-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added note
Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Power it from the AC fuse under the passenger floor panel.
It comes on and off with the start button.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
well, a couple things here. First that means the monitor is running 24/7, sounds like it will shorten the life of the monitor. The monitor uses very little power but how about hooking it up to the wiper/heated seat fuse using a fuse tap method?

i havent measured the monitors but i have bench tested them using a regular 9volt smoke detector type battery and they work fine so they dont have many amps. generally speaking , we all have enough problems with battery drain with everything off that can be off, so i think actually intensionally adding drain is a bad thing.

NOTE: the wiper/heated seat has power only when car is running. When you finally get it all running and stable , drop by with pictures and what you think of it and how you installed it. We (i especially) would like to hear about it!!!!!
Thanks Dave. I never thought about the monitor life, only battery drain and I couldn't see how there could be much. In fact I didn't think much about any of it till I got one for the vette. You know how that is,lol. But as you pointed out, why add to an already existing problem. Looks like I'll be doing a redo on the avalanche.
Again, thanks for the knowledgable reply.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:41 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Power it from the AC fuse under the passenger floor panel.
It comes on and off with the start button.
Thanks for the reply Mike. Bear with my ignorance here. What is the proper way to physically tap that fuse? I'm a little new at this.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:10 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey coco,

You need one of these:

Amazon.com: Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder: Automotive

You can pick one up at autozone.

Then you just pull the fuse (wiper/heated seats), put this in, and make sure you put fuses in both slots in the tap a fuse.
Use the heated seat fuse, or the wiper fuse, as both are switched power. I don't recall the AC fuse being switched power, but I may be wrong. Someone else may be able to chime in and confirm that. You don't want to risk draining your battery when the car is off.

Also, for the monitor, so its not on the entire time, just use an on/off switch inline, so you can turn it off when not in use.

Those cheap monitors don't last long if you have them on the entire time.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 09-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

fyi... local auto place will charge $16 (+/- $2) for them. you can go onto Amazon and look up "add a fuse" , you can get them cheap. Just have to make sure they are not coming on a slow boat from China'.

you have Amazon Prime and your set for quick delivery!

Good luck and let us see lots of pics and how your setup works for you when you are done.

NOTE: old install link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html
i'd add more info in it about fuse tap (add a fuse) but strange things happen sometimes when you update a post you created. It disappears, what i mean is that you can NOT find it using ANY search words period anymore. Then in about 3 months (? or more) it sorta becomes searchable again. LOL

Last edited by ChevyDave; 09-05-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added link to my old install post
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Pikkashoe and Dave Thanks.

Dave, I read your "Front & rear backup / parking cameras , installation" before initiating this thread and bad me, didn't see "item P add a circuit".
I'll reread it again. This time a little more closely.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

auto zone by me (Miami, FL) has the tap a fuse's for $5.99.
Must be regional differences in pricing.

coco, let me know if you have any questions during your install. Its pretty simple.
Dave's install link pretty much sums it all up and it very easy to follow.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup camera install question

Quick Reply: Backup camera install question