C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for other IL members input

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
ThePDB
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for other IL members input

New to the site-

looking for northern IL members input on your favorite places to go for drives. Purchased my vette a few weeks ago, but due to our 2 children, my wife and I haven't had a chance to really take the car out. We have a sitter all lined up for tomorrow and I was hoping for some scenic places that are fun to drive through.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Ask the same question here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/great-lakes-43/
Old 09-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Scenic Drives

Rt. 71 west of Ottawa. It follows along the river. Stop at Starved Rock State Park for lunch.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

More of a place to go rather than cruise...but the last supercar Saturday of the year. There's a huge turnout.
http://www.supercarsaturdays.com/
Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePDB
New to the site-

looking for northern IL members input on your favorite places to go for drives. Purchased my vette a few weeks ago, but due to our 2 children, my wife and I haven't had a chance to really take the car out. We have a sitter all lined up for tomorrow and I was hoping for some scenic places that are fun to drive through.

Thanks!!!

To some, northern Illinois means Chicago and suburbs. Northern Illinois actually goes all the way across to Iowa. If by chance you are from the west and better side of the state, there are some really nice places along the Mississippi River. The Mississippi Palisades State Park was a place I really enjoyed for fall colors when I lived in the region. Wait a month for the colors start changing. It is on the Illinois side of the river north of Clinton, Iowa.

On the other side of the state, you can see some really nice corn fields as you drive west from the Aurora area. Just kidding. There are some nice areas along the Fox River around McHenry or further upstream. You'll probably see some nice places to stop and enjoy a lunch where you can see the river.

If you get a weekend away before winter comes, consider a run into the hilly parts of Wisconsin.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:44 PM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Lake Geneva area in Wisconsin is nice, but be careful, they love to ticket Illinois drivers!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the Stagecoach Trail from Lena to Galena. Then head over to Dubuque if you like riverboat gambling. If not, then head north into southern Wisconsin for the ride back east to Monroe. You could also head south out of Dubuque as you meander toward Savanna, IL. The bridge is quite unique!

Good Luck!
Steven
Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

As others have said it depends on where Northern IL is for you. Also, how long of a drive are you looking to go on.

Rt.2 along the river is fun. A cruise up to Monroe WI to hit Baumgartner's for cheese sandwiches and a beer tour at Minhas. Lake Geneva area is good, fun places to grab lunch along the lake. Lot of options just need to know more specific where you are/want to go.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know how far you want to go, or if you have all weekend, but Peoria hooters is having there annual Labor Day super cruise...several hundred cars normally show up, riverfront is nice too, bars, restaurants. Anybody in the area go to centralillinoiscruisers.com ��
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 PM
ThePDB
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for all your input!

I'm not used to being part of a forum with SOO many members. I used to have a Silverado SS and there may have only been a handful of guys from IL that would ever get together. I'm located about 60 miles west of Chicago.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

If you wanna drive really fast, come to Chicago. You can do the Indy 500 on the Dan Ryan where shootings are up 29 percent just on the expressways. Or if you want to see the pretty lakefront, come down lake shore drive, we had 14 murders over the last 48 and approx 50 people shot. It would be one hell of a dodge and weave to see how your vette handles.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowzron
If you wanna drive really fast, come to Chicago. You can do the Indy 500 on the Dan Ryan where shootings are up 29 percent just on the expressways. Or if you want to see the pretty lakefront, come down lake shore drive, we had 14 murders over the last 48 and approx 50 people shot. It would be one hell of a dodge and weave to see how your vette handles.
Dang, Dan Ryan and LSD here I come!! Oh, the weather...you forgot the weather forecast.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM
cart7381
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wisconsin. Just don't get pulled over.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Saturday Cruise

So tell us where did you end up going??
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Hopefully you are out enjoying the weekend, but for a future drive, you may want to consider heading over to Rockford if it's not too far away. Years ago, it was a pretty drive to head southwest along the Rock River. Not sure what the roads are like now.

Dah, I think that is route 2, and smokinZ51 already suggested that.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM
ThePDB
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Itshakes
So tell us where did you end up going??
The wife and I ended up just going for a drive and stopped for dinner in Naperville.

Beautiful weekend to go driving... unfortunately, like most of the time, my wife worked a lot and I was hanging with our 2 rug rats.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ThePDB
The wife and I ended up just going for a drive and stopped for dinner in Naperville.

Beautiful weekend to go driving... unfortunately, like most of the time, my wife worked a lot and I was hanging with our 2 rug rats.
Spending time with rug rats is one of the best things a father can do in life. Enjoy them. It's unbelievable how soon they will be in grade school --- away to college.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 PM
ThePDB
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cartop2
Spending time with rug rats is one of the best things a father can do in life. Enjoy them. It's unbelievable how soon they will be in grade school --- away to college.
Very true! My son just started kindergarten this year. Daughter just turned 1 in July. Doesn't seem possible!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for other IL members input

Quick Reply: Looking for other IL members input