C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED tail light problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default LED tail light problems

I have brake lights now, but the turn signals are still not working right. The gauge cluster still flashes when I put the turn signals on & instead of just the side I turn on blinking, both sides blink. The wrong side blinking is faint on the tails themselves, but still there. Blinks on both sides up front too.

The tails themselves blink normal speed. I flipped all 4 tail plugs around several times thinking maybe polarity issue, but that changed nothing.

The only thing I can think of is maybe these tails do not like the LED front turns I have in (LED bulbs done properly with resistors. & these have always worked fine)

The tails themselves came out of my friend's car so I know they work. Everything is plugged in.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 09-24-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:08 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm not sure, but could the resistors be on the wrong wires?
I could pull one of mine and take a pic if needed.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wayback
I'm not sure, but could the resistors be on the wrong wires?
I could pull one of mine and take a pic if needed.
Trying the resistors with other lights is the only thing I have yet to try so it can't hurt for me to give it a whirl. I hope that's all it is.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:46 PM
wayback
Team Owner

When the lights come on are they very bright? Like when brakes are on? Just wondering if they are wired to the brake light when just tails should be on.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I have brake lights now, but the turn signals are still not working right. The gauge cluster still flashes when I put the turn signals on & instead of just the side I turn on blinking, both sides blink. The wrong side blinking is faint on the tails themselves, but still there. Blinks on both sides up front too.

The tails themselves blink normal speed. I flipped all 4 tail plugs around several times thinking maybe polarity issue, but that changed nothing.

The only thing I can think of is maybe these tails do not like the LED front turns I have in (LED bulbs done properly with resistors. & these have always worked fine)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:44 PM
wayback
Team Owner

I have not converted any lights in the head light buckets to LEDs, all other lights have been converted to LEDs. No hyperflash. Must be something about both lights having resistors?

Wonder what would happen if you could wire the resistor to the brake light only? Would the front resistor work for the back turn signal?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I would bet that it is the combination of LED lights in the front and back that causes a problem. The drain is probably under what is expected and that may be causing the problem.

I have had LED taillights for years with no problems, BUT I haven't messed with the front lights.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I pulled the LEDs out of the front and no more problem. So if anyone has successfully made these tails work with LEDs up front, I'd love to hear what you had to do.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I pulled the LEDs out of the front and no more problem. So if anyone has successfully made these tails work with LEDs up front, I'd love to hear what you had to do.
I would call the company you bought the front LEDS from and discuss it with them.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if one could splice another bulb socket to the existing socket wiring and then use an LED in the headlight housing. Since the original incandescent bulb would still be present, albeit tucked away somewhere, it would continue providing the load the BCM expects. It's not elegant but a possibility.

Last edited by Tropicana; 09-24-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LED tail light problems

Quick Reply: LED tail light problems