C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Should I Feel?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default How Should I Feel?

Not that I'm expecting to "see the light" but you guys bring that great perspective of loving a car within the realm of the real world......I am seriously dealing with the notion of:

a. Selling my 2012 GS 3LT Conv MT6 which I still owe about 15K on so
that I can retire at the end of this year

OR

b. Working an extra year so that it is completely off the books and
paid for

It is the only material possession that I give a rat's rear about but working an extra year?

Like I said, I'm not expecting an immediate solution, just bearing it amongst guys who can see both sides.

Thanks, I feel alittle better just typing this...later
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

If it were me, i would work the extra year and payoff the car and keep it, once your retired you will enjoy having the Vette to drive and play with for many years to come.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadkingC6:
dbirdhouse1 (09-28-2015), Tropicana (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default greetings

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
If it were me, i would work the extra year and payoff the car and keep it, once your retired you will enjoy having the Vette to drive and play with for many years to come.
born and raised in Livingston, NJ, also lived in Montville, Mtn. Lakes and matriculated at Rutgers College, thanks for the input/time
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

If you really enjoy owning a Corvette; you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Will I be able to afford another one in the future?
2) Once retired, how much more/less will I be able to enjoy it?
3) Will retirement offer me an opportunity to take more trips in a vehicle I really enjoy?
4) Can I tolerate working another year to have it paid off?
5) Is life too short & I really want to start my retirement now and do a lot of things I've only thought of?

Your answers to these questions should help ... they helped me when I thought about retiring. After retiring from the Air Force, I worked a couple of other jobs for a few years until everything was paid off ... for me it was worth it. Good luck in your decision
Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

We know how you love your car, we all do but what about the job? I had the same plan and even thought about working longer to get a C7 but one day I had all I could take and now I keep the C6 and live cheap.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you have to ask yourself would you enjoy retirement more with or without the vette? Life can change and end at any moment so I am holding on to mine until I have to let it go. Its one of the few things in my life that makes me feel good. And mine is the old and lowly 05 . Short answer-KEEP IT!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
Sounds like a good plan to me but you have to weigh the answers yourself. I do know a lot of people that sell their Corvette soon regret it.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Welker1
If you really enjoy owning a Corvette; you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Will I be able to afford another one in the future?
2) Once retired, how much more/less will I be able to enjoy it?
3) Will retirement offer me an opportunity to take more trips in a vehicle I really enjoy?
4) Can I tolerate working another year to have it paid off?
5) Is life too short & I really want to start my retirement now and do a lot of things I've only thought of?

Your answers to these questions should help ... they helped me when I thought about retiring. After retiring from the Air Force, I worked a couple of other jobs for a few years until everything was paid off ... for me it was worth it. Good luck in your decision
I think that most of the Q.s above are relevant, but one that I can think of is not for you to answer on the forum. If you retire a year from now w. the car paid off, will you be able to afford to keep the car? You know the costs associated w. the car---hb, clutch, tires, etc. This is really more of a "are your finances in shape to retire A) now before the car is paid off (and sell it), or B) even IF you work an extra year?" That's why I say it's not for us to be told. It's for you to figure out, or to do a second "check up" on how your finances look.

I can tell you this: there is a lot of truth to the above #1 Q. by welker. Some peop. do retire after selling the car, and then figure out they can't afford to buy another one. But usually (or sometimes) it's because they're comparing buying new, to looking for awhile and finding a great used one at a severely reduced price.

Be well.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:15 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't have an answer for you. It's really going to depend on your finances plus how much the job gets to you and if you can actually last another year.

I will say this however. Whenever people put off doing something because they think it will take too long, they usually find that time to fly by and they're left with the realization, "I could be done by now if I had kept with it." This can apply to anything. Saving money, losing weight, going to college, etc. Just think how fast your year of retirement will go then suddenly waking up on January 1 2017 and realizing you could be jumping in your Corvette today if you had just stuck it out. Regret is one of the most powerful forces in the human psyche. JMO but best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Just curious about how old you are. I retired 2 years ago at age 66. Since then my wife and I have moved from California to Arizona. We had enough equity in our California house when we sold it, to pay cash for our Arizona house. Not having a house payment made many other purchases possible, including my 08 C6. If you are not too old, then working another year might be the right answer for you. If you have decided that now is definitely the right time to retire, then by all means do so, and don't worry about the Corvette. It's just a car! Do what is right for you. JMHO
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Lots of good points here. I'd give it one more year to own the Vette and then owe nothing then I'd find another hobby like a little sailboat or a zippy lil' go cart or anything that keeps you engaged.

Personally on my bucket list is to help a young, injured vet and to inspire a youngster in karting. Those would be more personally rewarding than driving my expensive toy to the monthly car show.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Depends on how old you are. Me, I worked several years beyond when I could have retired and never regretted it. But I enjoyed my work. Now I have a pretty substantial retirement pension due in part to having worked so long ... so I'd say ... go for another year and keep the car, if you're physically able to do so. The year will pass very quickly.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A year goes by really quick, so I'd do another year and pay off the Vette!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Depends on how old you are...so I'd say ... go for another year and keep the car, if you're physically able to do so. The year will pass very quickly.
I agree. If you're 62 keep working. If you're 70 and can't afford vette payments on retirement benefits you have more serious issues to deal with...sorry.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 PM
sonic1519
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There's nothing like a paid off car. if you can make it one more year. the vette will be paid off. and that extra money will come in handy that you were paying on your vette. That's what i'm trying to do. By the time i get ready to retire God willing I'll have my vettte free and clear. And it will make driving it around that much sweeter.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I am going to keep working as long as my body and mind allow. I can't stand sitting around so easy question for me to answer.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree with all that has been said however...If you are in good health and can work just one more year, then do it!

You won't regret it.

You will regret, if you do sell it and then decide to work another year or more.

Remember ONLY YOU can make that decision.

Stay Well and Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To How Should I Feel?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I retired at 63, never looked back and enjoy that every day is a Saturday, I occasionally throw in a holiday to have a long weekend. Do you enjoy your job, have good health and your age should be the deciding factor. Make sure you have something to do to keep you somewhat occupied. Many people become bored and miss the working life after a few months. Compare too the amount of your social security benefits are. Big difference if you retire at 62 or your maximum retirement age. Retirement too is not for everybody. If you Vette is important to you, and you sell it, you will always be second guessing yourself on your decision as time goes by.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
I retired at 63, never looked back and enjoy that every day is a Saturday, I occasionally throw in a holiday to have a long weekend. Do you enjoy your job, have good health and your age should be the deciding factor. Make sure you have something to do to keep you somewhat occupied. Many people become bored and miss the working life after a few months. Compare too the amount of your social security benefits are. Big difference if you retire at 62 or your maximum retirement age. Retirement too is not for everybody. If you Vette is important to you, and you sell it, you will always be second guessing yourself on your decision as time goes by.

Plus, like the other guy said way up top, would you enjoy retirement without the car? Would you be able to still afford the car even after retirement? etc. etc. It's really a multi-faceted question. Ask yourself all of those and evaluate the options.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Another option is selling your GS and picking up a cheaper LS3 C6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Should I Feel?