C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest way toward my goals

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Cheapest way toward my goals

Hi all,

Just bored at work and wanted to get some expert advices on what you think would be the cheapest way to get the following done to my 2008 coupe
  1. Widebooty with factory silver paint - this seems the most pricey plus I'd need wider rear wheels and tires
  2. Headers (don't mind eBay lol)
  3. Cam that is Daily Friendly and doesn't lose much low end torque
  4. Dyno tune

I've been having this battle with modding my car n/a or just going for a C6 Z06. I just paid off my car so not having payments is nice, vs. getting into a C6Z will incur much more $$$. 1st world problems, I know.

Any ideas are appreciated
Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Since your car is paid off I would go with headers and a tune for now and be happy with the fact you no longer have car payments. Jmo
Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Awesome not to have a car note huh? I would do the headers, cai and a good tune, Vitesse throttle inteface thingy. It will feel and sound like a new car to you. If you do cam, obviously its not just a cam, might as well reinforce the related components, then a retune. Are you auto or manual?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I'll offer another way of looking at it... You would prefer a widebody car with a bit more performance. That is exactly what you'd get with a Z06.
Depending on the quality level of the body kit, the cost of your new paint, what wheels and tires you would buy... plus the cost of the engine mods and required tuning, and the ability to pass CA emissions.... whether or not you will do all the work yourself, or have to pay someone else for the labour... but it would not be unreasonable to expect all of the modifications you want to run $10-15K. And when you are done, you have an extensively modified car that may or may not be worth as much as an unmodified car.
Or, you might be able to simply buy a Z06 for a similar investment. Selling your car for a good price, and finding a good deal on a Z06 might take a little patience, but maybe you would be happier with the results in the long term.

Just another perspective.

Best of luck to you on whichever route you choose.

Garry
Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You know your not going to get that $10,000-$15,000 in the mods you want back at resale time. I would look for a Z06 like the previous poster said. Or just bolt on headers,Cai, supercharger and a dynotune to your base car.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

[url]

what he said
Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM
furiousox
Pro

Thanks guys

A bit more info - my car is a 6mt

The exterior is pretty beat up honestly, it's got 90k miles on it and it's my daily driver. I just don't see the car's value dropping much more given its mileage, so I've been thinking of just modding it as resale shouldn't be affected much more

On the other hand with the prices C6 Z06s are going for now I'd be stupid not to pick one up

Modding my car does make emissions a huge pain though...maybe instead of building the LS3 N/A I'll supercharge my car and go wide booty, put away a rainy day fund for when the engine pops, this way I'm still carb legal. But I do plan on taking my car to the track and I know SC won't play nice with too much heat production.

Sigh this debate with Z06 vs. modding my LS3 has been going on for THREE years...lol.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:36 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Do you like the open air of your targa? If you don't believe you will miss that then i see no reason not to move up to a Z.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:37 PM
furiousox
Pro

My car is worth maybe $20-21k tops with the miles and the condition it's in...the Z06 would add at least another $20k debt, plus knowing myself I'd be lusting after the C7 lol, the C6s just don't have that awesome steering wheel / seat combination

My car would probably be perfect with cam / headers power + coilovers. Widebooty is more for visual. This is until I can afford a C7z06 or something, at least that's what I tell myself lol.

I haven't driven an n/a 460whp+ LS3 with a cam on 91 oct. (probably takes a decent sized cam) so I don't know how much I'll like dealing with it on a daily basis, plus at that point who knows if the engine will pop. I know N/A is supposed to be reliable, etc. but the engine's got 90k miles. I did put the last 50k miles on it though and it's been bulletproof.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

What ever you decide to do just remember you will not recoup anything over about 20% if that, for your mod costs. The only limiting factor is your budget which has a tendency to keep increasing as you mod. Ask me how I know this.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 PM
94ltz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After all the money I have put into my car I wish I would have just bought a Z06 and that was before I had to put a new engine in my car. So now I'm so far into it, it would never make sense to get rid of mine.

I would consider really hard about cleaning up your car really good and sell it for a Z06.
The following users liked this post:
jack croy (10-02-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Cheapest way toward my goals

Quick Reply: Cheapest way toward my goals