C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you plastidipped your wheels, would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:02 AM
cole3
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If you plastidipped your wheels, would you do it again?

I have a blacked out black Z that is sitting on chrome wheels and I'm thinking of going with the gunmetal gray plastidip for my wheels. if I do, I'll definitely add the "glossifier" to give them a shine and hopefully make cleaning and maintenance easier.

just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience on if they attract dirt easier and how hard they are to keep clean along with how to clean them. I'd imagine you have to be more gentle.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:23 AM
True Knight
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cole3
I have a blacked out black Z that is sitting on chrome wheels and I'm thinking of going with the gunmetal gray plastidip for my wheels. if I do, I'll definitely add the "glossifier" to give them a shine and hopefully make cleaning and maintenance easier.

just wondered if anyone has any first hand experience on if they attract dirt easier and how hard they are to keep clean along with how to clean them. I'd imagine you have to be more gentle.

Thanks guys!
I did the Rustoleum version- called Flexidip. I was told it had a smoother finish. It came out good, and for the cost to do all 4 rims with plenty of coats to make chrome rims black it was well worth it. Not as good as getting them powder coated, but then again, the price was right.

They are pretty easy to keep clean. I just dust them off occasionally, and when I wash the car I use the same soapy water and a soft brush to clean the rims.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My son and I did the wheels on his Focus ST. Yes they are harder to keep clean than my gloss black wheels. More textured surface to hold the brake dust.

My son is happy with them compared to the cost of new wheels. I would not be happy with them on my car.

It is a cheap and easy way to see if you like the look. And you can have them powder coated later if you want.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes i would do it again. Easy to clean and maintain imo. Darker wheels always going to show dirt more than chrome. Put at least 3 coats. The more coats the easier to peel, otherwise you'll rubbing it off and that's no fun. Good luck and post pics.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 AM
cole3
Pro

my buddy and I actually did his millennium yellow Vette yesterday and I noticed that they were kind of rough afterwards and already dirty. this is what sparked the thread.

looks much better and from a distance you can't even tell they're dipped. I was just concerned with maintaining them as I've heard tire shine will eat away the dip and wasn't sure how aggressive you could get when cleaning.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Mine were done by the previous owner. I like the look, but worry that they will peel easily. I plan to powdercoat at my next tire change.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would, but with caution... The application is only rated to 200-ish degrees heat resistance. Beware using them on wheels that will see roadcourse or extended high temperatures.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

For cleaning your dipped rims see my post on the BDP cleaner they offer. I gave a quick review of it last week, its pricey but it does clean them without scrubbing.
Plastidip is soft so care is to be taken when cleaning it.
Good luck, the wheels look great
NSF
Old 10-04-2015, 02:19 PM
clekchaum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the same on my jeep and didn't add the glossy look, it was terrible and flaked off, never again
Old 10-26-2015, 05:58 AM
cole3
Pro

first I went with 4-5 coats of gray dip then 2 coats of glossifier. was not impressed with their gray. it was very light and almost blueish so I added a couple of costs of glossy black rustoleum. looks pretty good for s rattle can job!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Use Simple Green to clean Plasti-Dip.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

yes,,easiest mod to change the look of your vette...dont like it? paint it a different color,,,dont like it? take it off... have used it on 4 vettes now with great results..its durable, takes on abuse and can be repaired...its a great product IMO..
Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad I did it. I clean mine with the no touch brake dust from Plasti dip's website. I also use the Maguier's Tire gell spray. That really blackens them up too. I used the glossifier.
I redid the driver's side after a year and used wd40 to remove it. Then used the prep spray from Plasti dip to clean em and re paint. Pretty easy.

Mine was the painted rims. Never did chrome.

During

Before

After
Old 10-26-2015, 10:24 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cole3
my buddy and I actually did his millennium yellow Vette yesterday and I noticed that they were kind of rough afterwards and already dirty. this is what sparked the thread.

looks much better and from a distance you can't even tell they're dipped. I was just concerned with maintaining them as I've heard tire shine will eat away the dip and wasn't sure how aggressive you could get when cleaning.
Holy 4 x 4. Did he raise the car after he did the wheels or what?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:43 PM
cole3
Pro

Originally Posted by crAzy
Holy 4 x 4. Did he raise the car after he did the wheels or what?
lol! it just hadn't sat back down yet from being jacked up.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:43 PM
cole3
Pro

Originally Posted by tomtoro
Glad I did it. I clean mine with the no touch brake dust from Plasti dip's website. I also use the Maguier's Tire gell spray. That really blackens them up too. I used the glossifier.
I redid the driver's side after a year and used wd40 to remove it. Then used the prep spray from Plasti dip to clean em and re paint. Pretty easy.

Mine was the painted rims. Never did chrome.

During

Before

After
looks great!
The following users liked this post:
tomtoro (10-27-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 PM
cole3
Pro

pics that I guess didn't upload last time
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I used Flexi Dip from Rustoleum to black out the barrels on my wheels. Turned out great but does take a lot of coats to get a quality finish.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 PM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had mine plastidipped for several years. Touched them up a few times along the way, but largely no problem. Picked up a set powder coated set so didn't need them anymore. Yes, I would do it again.

Craig

Get notified of new replies

To If you plastidipped your wheels, would you do it again?

Quick Reply: If you plastidipped your wheels, would you do it again?