C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little buying help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 AM
*ditchdigger*
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have 35K to spend I would look for a Grand Sport. I have a 2010 M6 Coupe with 20K on it. I have no intention of selling it but if I did it would probably be in the 35-38K range.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Hold out for the one you want!!!!

It took me a few months to find what I wanted, and it was worth in in the end.
Hence silver with black interior, z51 option package, fully loaded and low miles.

And don't be surprised to find that you may change your mind on a option of two alone the way as you look at them.

When I first started looking for a C6 to add to the stable, was thinking light color interior, but after seeing a few and the normal marks on interior that where never going to come out, the reason that I went with black interior instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-09-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:47 AM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by *ditchdigger*
If you have 35K to spend I would look for a Grand Sport. I have a 2010 M6 Coupe with 20K on it. I have no intention of selling it but if I did it would probably be in the 35-38K range.
Good advice. Well, as long as the OP likes the wide body. I too have a '10 GS and would be high 30's if I were selling, which I'm not.

Best advice is to make sure you buy the trim package you want to get the options you desire. Don't skimp here and from what I can see stripped models don't sell as fast. The NPP is mandatory IMO. Mileage is less of a factor and anything 4-5 years old with less than 30k miles is fine. Make sure there are no accidents or mechanical issues at all.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 10thumper
anything 4-5 years old with less than 30k miles is fine.
Only on a Corvette Forum would the standard for a fine used car be something less than 8k miles a year.

I will also say I had a very hard time finding 1lt cars that stayed for sale long enough for me to go look at them. I wanted a "stripped down" car and only ran into fully loaded ones.

It is always what you are looking for you cannot find lol.

But stick to your guns and wait for THE car you want!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
nat05gto
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong I really like the GS but it seems that what I have been seeing on asking prices, for me to get a 3lt car with low miles and as clean a car as I want they are all high 30's to low 40's which is more than I will spend. There are some 2lt GS's I've seen in the price range but I want HUD, rather not even get the NAV. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like a GS will be more costly to maintain over a base. Seems to me the wider the tires the less life you get out of them and I'm sure the brakes are more costly. May be stupid things to consider but I'm just not a rich man. I am an automotive technician by trade and do most of my own work so I rarely need to pay labor but I take parts in to account. Any of you go from a base to a GS and notice a cost of owning difference, maintenance or maybe even insurance?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM
vettefun02
Heel & Toe

Hey Nathan,
I have the car you are looking for only it is a stick shift (way more fun than auto). I believe you have already been contacted by a friend of mine (Phil). The car is an absolutely beautiful Crystal Red convertible with all of the options you wanted and a low 34,000 miles. I am the original non-smoking owner and I special ordered this for my 65th birthday. I honestly believe that there is not a nicer C6 (2009) out there. If you think you might want a stick shift let me know and I will send more photos. The only major option that I don't have is the magnetic selective suspension. At $32,750 asking this car is seriously for sale--why, you ask? I have a new C7 on order and no room to park the car inside if I keep it.

Please feel free to contact me. I will reply ASAP

R/Marshall

Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nat05gto
Don't get me wrong I really like the GS but it seems that what I have been seeing on asking prices, for me to get a 3lt car with low miles and as clean a car as I want they are all high 30's to low 40's which is more than I will spend. There are some 2lt GS's I've seen in the price range but I want HUD, rather not even get the NAV. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like a GS will be more costly to maintain over a base. Seems to me the wider the tires the less life you get out of them and I'm sure the brakes are more costly. May be stupid things to consider but I'm just not a rich man. I am an automotive technician by trade and do most of my own work so I rarely need to pay labor but I take parts in to account. Any of you go from a base to a GS and notice a cost of owning difference, maintenance or maybe even insurance?
Let's see, tires yes they cost more. Figure on a few hundred more for a good set but they also give you benefits too. Brakes? Well, you can get OEM rotors on Amazon fairly cheap and Centric Posi Quiet pads for $50 a full set. I hardly think that breaks the bank. Otherwise, you're not paying a lot more for maintenance unless you get the 6MT then you need more oil for each service. Again, not over the top.

You'll pay more for initial purchase but also can sell it for more, so I suppose while you're using it you're out a bit more $ but in the end it shouldn't account for much. Buy a base for $33k and sell it for $28k vs. a GS for $39k and sell it for $34k (depends how long you own it and miles driven). I think the GS will sell better in the used market at a higher price vs. the base where there's not a huge difference '05-'13 so plenty to choose from.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefun02
Hey Nathan,
I have the car you are looking for only it is a stick shift (way more fun than auto). I believe you have already been contacted by a friend of mine (Phil). The car is an absolutely beautiful Crystal Red convertible with all of the options you wanted and a low 34,000 miles. I am the original non-smoking owner and I special ordered this for my 65th birthday. I honestly believe that there is not a nicer C6 (2009) out there. If you think you might want a stick shift let me know and I will send more photos. The only major option that I don't have is the magnetic selective suspension. At $32,750 asking this car is seriously for sale--why, you ask? I have a new C7 on order and no room to park the car inside if I keep it.

Please feel free to contact me. I will reply ASAP

R/Marshall

Don't forget your brand new Michelin tires Marshall
Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM
nat05gto
Cruising

vettefun02 your friend sent me a pm and got my hopes up then I realized it was a manual. Color, wheels and options all what I'm looking for and the car looks very clean too, I just can't make myself go with another stick. My 05 GTO was a stick and I loved it and will miss it but that's why I sold it. I want something my wife can drive too.

Make me feel worse and tell me it's a black top too?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 PM
vettefun02
Heel & Toe

vettefun02 your friend sent me a pm and got my hopes up then I realized it was a manual. Color, wheels and options all what I'm looking for and the car looks very clean too, I just can't make myself go with another stick. My 05 GTO was a stick and I loved it and will miss it but that's why I sold it. I want something my wife can drive too.

No luck there Nathan top is tan! Good luck with your quest!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:53 PM
nat05gto
Cruising

Thank you. You won't have any trouble selling that car.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey guys, my name is Nathan and I'm in the market for a C6 and I have some questions. I have been searching and reading a lot but I need a little advice from those that have already done this.
I really want a 08 or 09 auto, z51, 3lt, npp car with low miles. Could go either way on coupe or convertible. I have no intentions of ever tracking the car but like the idea of the bigger brakes more for appearance than anything and the lower gear ratio. I'd like opinions on if I end up getting a non z51 car with the 2.56 vs 2.73 gear will I notice a difference, were in the mph range will I be most slowed down and what kind of ET difference would I experience. Reason for asking is I found a 09 very close to me that is a base car with 3lt, mint with 7,500 miles original owner Ca. car. It is not z51, no npp and I looked up the RPO and it has the standard 2.56 gear. They are asking 35k, and the only reason I am even considering is because it is such a mint car. Opinions on if I should be considering or if I should keep looking for a car that fits what I want better?
Thank you and sorry for the long story.
Not trying to be an azz hat, but honestly if your not going to track it, and the brakes are just for looks, then the ET difference kinda should not matter right? All vettes are fast and the only time the brakes or the gear differences will ever be noticeable is maybe on the track.....I say since your not going to track it, buy the vette that is a good value, and meets most of your expectations, you will be happy regardless in any Corvette.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 AM
nat05gto
Cruising

I would agree with you. I won't ever track the car but I like the looks of the brakes and the idea of the lower gear and the stiffer sway bars. The things I would usually want to upgrade anyway. I have driven 2 cars that were z51 equipped and really liked how tight they felt, not sure I want to settle for less unless it comes with quite a bit less price. It's one of those things I really don't need but sure want it.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:42 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

not sure how important that is for you but it sounds like you're somewhat handy, new cloth haartz stayfast or similar tops sell on several websites for about $600.

installation doen't appear too complicated, although I didn't try yet, but its bookmarked for me, never know..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...easy-pics.html

Quick Reply: A little buying help please