C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a CAI change my exhaust note?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:54 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Default will a CAI change my exhaust note?

I am thinking of getting a CAI, then a tune. I have Corsa Extremes that sound perfect. Will a CAI change the sound of my exhaust?

Also, are there any cheap mods to open the airways that does not require a $500 CAI? I read about zip tie method but think it applies to a C5.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

It wont change your exhaust note. You could remove the baffle over the filters and open up the shroud at the bottom to allow for more cold air in, many have done this with great results. Longer bolts and spacers, etc should do it. I've found it several timeduring a search.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Remove all the cats and do straight pipes?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Only if your engine backfires through the throttle body...
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
... Will a CAI change the sound of my exhaust?....

No.... did CAI on two Vettes, no change at all in exhaust notes.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It could make more sound from the engine compartment but not change the sound of the exhaust.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:35 PM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on which CAI, but my Vararam sounds like it takes a deep breath when you punch the throttle. No exhaust note change.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Thank you all.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:42 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the k&n intake that I ordered from 4 wheel online. Didn't notice any change in the sound of my exhaust but I like how it sounds under the hood.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

If you have a Grand Sport or Z06, you can buy or make this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ke-shroud.html

I bought the plastic and fasteners from Amazon, cut a cardboard template, cut the plastic with a jigsaw, heated it with a good hair dryer to bend it, and had less than $20 in mine.

I've been monitoring my intake air temp for a long time with this device ( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html ) and I've found it does make a difference in keeping the intake temps lower while idling in hot sunny Florida traffic.

The tuner was amazed that engine timing was not pulled during dyno tuning with my header install, even on a 90 plus degree day.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Seadawg
If you have a Grand Sport or Z06, you can buy or make this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ke-shroud.html

I bought the plastic and fasteners from Amazon, cut a cardboard template, cut the plastic with a jigsaw, heated it with a good hair dryer to bend it, and had less than $20 in mine.

I've been monitoring my intake air temp for a long time with this device ( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html ) and I've found it does make a difference in keeping the intake temps lower while idling in hot sunny Florida traffic.

The tuner was amazed that engine timing was not pulled during dyno tuning with my header install, even on a 90 plus degree day.
I like the kit but doesn't look like it will work on a stock C6. BTW, did you get your tune in FL?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:15 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg

Have you done a test of the temps prior to installing this device? I'd be curious to know exactly how much it lowers the temperature.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:31 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default yup

Originally Posted by AORoads
It could make more sound from the engine compartment but not change the sound of the exhaust.
alittle "sucking" noise and maybe alittle quicker on the rev's but nothing on the exiting portion..............
Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Exhaust tone....I'd say no.
More backfire on deceleration...maybe
Cabin noise...yes (more intake roar)

Have fun.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rckt
I like the kit but doesn't look like it will work on a stock C6. BTW, did you get your tune in FL?
yes, unfortunately, it will not work for a base C6. yea, Xxposive Motorsports coordinated the tune with a local shop near Sanford. They impressed me with their approach. As many know, you can really get in trouble with a bad tune, but these guys tune track cars, and mine has passed the test of daily driving and over a year of good performance.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 11Black-GS
Have you done a test of the temps prior to installing this device? I'd be curious to know exactly how much it lowers the temperature.
I did measure it before and after, and it was about a 10 degree drop. But it is "your mileage may vary". Meaning, with any car, if you sit still, it will raise temp to ambient eventually.

How I came up with a 10 degree difference average was comparing two different "fun day" drag strip runs at Orlando motor speedway, in 90+ degree temps Without the mod, I saw about 20 degrees higher temps on my IAT indication (when sitting idling, waiting for my turn), and I saw about a 10 degree higher temp the last time I was there (compared to the indicator on my HVAC unit) for IAT temps with the mod installed.

On a long interstate run, all designs should be about the same IA temps. But You theoretically get more of a ram air effect with some mod of a CAI.

It's really hard to tell any difference "seat of the pants" difference for any fresh air intake system, but this was a good compromise for me, to do this mod, since I have a GS.
The following users liked this post:
11Black-GS (10-11-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

No, no impact at all.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Originally Posted by JoshBarber
Depends on which CAI, but my Vararam sounds like it takes a deep breath when you punch the throttle. No exhaust note change.
I have the halltech intake...^^^ agreed same with halltech.

Get notified of new replies

To will a CAI change my exhaust note?

Quick Reply: will a CAI change my exhaust note?