C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't things stick to my windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:56 PM
chandy116
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why won't things stick to my windshield?

So the rearview mirror is fine but above the passenger seat, there is a black rectangular piece with some cables coming out of it. No idea what it is but the dang thing keeps falling off the windshield! It has a piece of tape that used to hold it on and I tried using command strips to reattach it to that and that didn't work so I got regular windshield adhesive and put that on. That held for 2 weeks and now it's fallen again... what is this part and what can I do to get it to stick?!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by chandy116
So the rearview mirror is fine but above the passenger seat, there is a black rectangular piece with some cables coming out of it. No idea what it is but the dang thing keeps falling off the windshield! It has a piece of tape that used to hold it on and I tried using command strips to reattach it to that and that didn't work so I got regular windshield adhesive and put that on. That held for 2 weeks and now it's fallen again... what is this part and what can I do to get it to stick?!
It's the onstar antenna. If your not using onstar, get rid of it.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 PM
chandy116
Advanced

I'm definitely not using onstar but will getting rid of it limit my potential to use the microphone in the future? I intend to hook that up to the bluetooth unit I'm putting in eventually but haven't looked up the wiring map at all
Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I'm definitely not using onstar but will getting rid of it limit my potential to use the microphone in the future? I intend to hook that up to the bluetooth unit I'm putting in eventually but haven't looked up the wiring map at all
I don't believe so, hopefully someone will chime in on that. I have read before that if you pull the wires out from behind the trim, there is a connection that can just be unplugged. Maybe do a search on it.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Clean area with alcohol. Use 3M body molding tape.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:30 PM
chandy116
Advanced

I'm guessing the alcohol is to remove residue of old adhesive?

Also, after researching it it seems that removing the whole unit is a pain because one of the wire bundles is important... as in the car won't start without it. I'm too lazy to rewire other stuff so I'll go with the clean and 3M tape
Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 PM
M@tt
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try 3M VHB double sided tape.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I don't believe so, hopefully someone will chime in on that. I have read before that if you pull the wires out from behind the trim, there is a connection that can just be unplugged. Maybe do a search on it.

Randy got it exactly correct.

Our Onstar box was removed several years ago, we weren't using Onstar and the box annoyed my wife. We pulled out the wires, disconnected, and put it in the rear cubby in case I want to reinstall some day.

Didn't lose any function on the microphone, Bluetooth (2009 and later) works fine and the Nav voice commands are just as awful as they were before.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 PM
chandy116
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Randy got it exactly correct.

Our Onstar box was removed several years ago, we weren't using Onstar and the box annoyed my wife. We pulled out the wires, disconnected, and put it in the rear cubby in case I want to reinstall some day.

Didn't lose any function on the microphone, Bluetooth (2009 and later) works fine and the Nav voice commands are just as awful as they were before.
What did you do with the fourth wire I was reading about that can't be disconnected?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You aren't actually removing the OnStar module, just the 2 antennas. 1 for GPS (just OnStar nothing to do with the Nav) and 1 for it's cell phone.

Remove the visor clip screws and the header trim practically falls off, giving you access to the wiring harness. A-pillar trim just snaps off if you need more slack.

Unplug it and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What did you do with the fourth wire I was reading about that can't be disconnected?
IIRC, we had just 2 wires. Each had a connector, but one had to be pulled out much further than the other to find its connector. For sure, we did not have to cut any wires, just undo the small connectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Why won't things stick to my windshield?

Quick Reply: Why won't things stick to my windshield?