C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have error code P0449: Emission Control system

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 PM
cowboy351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have error code P0449: Emission Control system

Hey everyone,

Is anyone familiar with On board diagnostic code P0449 (Emission Control System Vent Vlv/ Sol Malf)? Is this something I can fix without taking to dealer? Thanks.

Chris
Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...49-w-pics.html

Go check out that very informative thread.......
Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

First thing to check is the gas cap, but it is important to understand that the code will not clear immediately even if it turns out to be a gas cap problem. The system wants to make sure that an intermittent fault is actually cleared up, so it looks for a number of start/run cycles before it will clear the code after the gas cap is installed correctly. When I got that code once, I checked the gas cap and it was loose enough to almost fall off by itself. I put it on correctly but the code did not clear for a week. It was obvious to me that the gas cap was the problem, so I just was patient (not something seen often on the forum) and after about a week, it went away. If the car is driven rarely, it could take months to clear the code. A start/run cycle is not just a start and a couple of minutes at idle, it is actual driving for a while.

Also, mine never said CHECK GAS CAP, just the CEL and a code.

Last edited by cclive; 10-08-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:34 PM
DJM092485
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C6 Chevy Corvette

I have a 2008 Chevy Corvette. The check engine light came on. The code that I was told was P0049. I was told that the car will not pass the emissions test. Now it is due for that test. Is this something that someone can do other than the dealer. Don't have a lot of faith in them here lately.

I had the car at JBA and they just told me that but refused to give me the code unless I paid $115.00. The car was in for a recall that day. I told the guy that they should of just fixed it while it was there. No explanation of why they didn't. Just told it wouldn't hurt the vehicle. Just won't pass emissions. Now its time.

Is it very hard to replace this part. I need to get it fixes ASAP. Is there anyone on this site that lives near Anne Arundel County that can help me out with this.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:02 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM092485
I have a 2008 Chevy Corvette. The check engine light came on. The code that I was told was P0049. I was told that the car will not pass the emissions test. Now it is due for that test. Is this something that someone can do other than the dealer. Don't have a lot of faith in them here lately.

I had the car at JBA and they just told me that but refused to give me the code unless I paid $115.00. The car was in for a recall that day. I told the guy that they should of just fixed it while it was there. No explanation of why they didn't. Just told it wouldn't hurt the vehicle. Just won't pass emissions. Now its time.

Is it very hard to replace this part. I need to get it fixes ASAP. Is there anyone on this site that lives near Anne Arundel County that can help me out with this.
Check your keyboard. There is no P0049 code.

P0449:

1) check gas cap.

2) P0449 relates to the canister vent solenoid. At $23 bucks, may just as well replace than pay a shop you don't trust. May or may not cause the code to clear. Parts swapping and hoping for the best is not always the best way to fix your car.

3) Solenoid looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-911-07...=evap+solenoid
Verify fit and understand that there is an improved part number that requires a pigtail harness to connect some new solenoids with car plug.

4) The solenoid is at the right-rear. The shop manual says the automatics only need the right muffler dropped. Otherwise an easy swap.

Last edited by C6ToGo; 06-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6ToGo:
ClashBandicoot (08-09-2016), Landru (06-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Have error code P0449: Emission Control system

Quick Reply: Have error code P0449: Emission Control system