C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dallas car sharks c6 -> gold wrapped 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:11 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Default dallas car sharks c6 -> gold wrapped 2007

I was watching an episode of Dallas car sharks that I had recorded from a few days back. One of the people on the show (Martha Davis) purchased an 07 black on black A6 coupe (black wheels) and proceeds to have the car wrapped in gold chrome vinyl. The outcome wasn't as terrible as you would think, but even my wife was looking at the TV and just shaking her head. The show reported that the cost to wrap the car is $5000. For those that are wondering, she paid just under $26k at auction for the car and the show reported she intended to sell it for $35k.

So it got me thinking, if you were to drop $5k upgrading your corvette what would you do?

P. S. I looked online and couldn't find any pictures of the car. if somebody has better google foo than me and can find pictures of the actual car please post them.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:16 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw the episode as well. The $5K would definitely not be spent on a gold wrap. maybe a supercharger?
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I saw the episode as well. The $5K would definitely not be spent on a gold wrap. maybe a supercharger?
i have done the supercharger thing on other cars (not on the vette) and its hard to argue with the performance increase...

I don't know what I would do. Probably something like; speaker upgrade, z51 sway bars & upgraded shocks, repro chrome spyder wheels /w new tires, and a short throw shifter.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:27 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

I saw that episode last night. The finished gold product was hideous. I would be embarrassed to be seen in that thing. The car was a base 2007 C6 and I have no idea how sweet old Martha is expecting to sell it for $35K. She coughed up $25,750 for that '07 and, unless it had about 500 miles on it, that was already retail for it. That whole show is a joke. Ever notice how only the four main characters wind up bidding on the interesting cars? They had an episode on a few days ago where the three male members of the group all bought Mustangs at the auction. A '66 convertible, a '67 fastback and an '83 hatch back. That Ash guy (do you suppose his name is Ashley?) bought the '83 and was talking about how much better off he was because it had the "big 5.0 engine" while the other two had the smaller V8. Duh! Martha's son had the '66 vert and he "restored" it by pulling the engine and painting it black. The '66 Mustang's block was correctly painted Ford Corporate Blue. The early '65s had black blocks. The other guy, Frank, "restored" the '67 fastback (a rattle can resto at best) and they suggested he would sell it for $35K. Has everyone at the Velocity Channel lost their minds or is it just a Texas thing? And don't get me started on that azz hat Richard Rawlins. How about one more bangle bracelet and one more Miller Lite, Dick? That guy just screams "class" doesn't he?

Last edited by RagTop69; 10-11-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:31 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I saw that episode last night. The car was a base 2007 C6 and I have no idea how sweet old Martha is expecting to sell it for $35K. She coughed up $25,750 for that '07 and, unless it had about 500 miles on it, that was already retail for it. That whole show is a joke. Ever notice how only the four main characters wind up bidding on the interesting cars? They had an episode on a few days ago where the three male members of the group all bought Mustangs at the auction. A '66 convertible, a '67 fastback and an '83 hatch back. That Ash guy (do you suppose his name is Ashley?) bought the '83 and was talking about how much better off he was because it had the "big 5.0 engine" while the other two had the smaller V8. Duh! Martha's son had the '66 vert and he "restored" it by pulling the engine and painting it black. The '66 Mustang's block was correctly painted Ford Corporate Blue. The early '65s had black blocks. The other guy, Frank, "restored" the '67 fastback (a rattle can resto at best) and they suggested he would sell it for $35K. Has everyone at the Velocity Channel lost their minds or is it just a Texas thing? And don't get me started on that azz hat Richard Rawlins. How about one more bangle bracelet and one more Miller Lite, Dick?
On one of the episodes that was on my DVR they had ash buying a Ford 500 Galaxie... The car had rust HOLES and he claimed he got it fixed and resprayed factory color for $2500. I understand that dealerships get pretty big discounts on that type of service because they are regular consumers, but are we really supposed to believe a full respray that is worth anything was $2500 including rust repair?

P.S. Google thinks galaxie is spelled wrong, so is Ford wrong, or google?
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Must be Ford, because Google is so now and hip. I mean, dude, that whole generation goes around screwing up prepositions constantly. I remember when my kids came home from jr. high school saying they were "embarrassed of" something. It's embarrassed "WITH" or "BY", but not "of". You can, however, be ashamed "of" something like not knowing the correct preposition. It started in school for my kids and I hear it all the time on TV now, so you have to wonder which pencil eraser their teachers were sucking on when that whole "preposition" thing went blowing by in "E School". Oh, that's right, they're busy teaching the Kindergarteners how to critically think and identify their sexual orientation.

BTW, that Galaxie was a heap. And four doors to boot. Ash kept saying some "collector" was going to pay him big money for it after he and his boys packed it full of Bondo and did an el cheapo scuff and spray on it. How long do you think those door corners and rockers are going to last? Any real collector would have to be demented to buy that thing. I remember a guy on a Mustang forum thinking he had just scored a major coup by buying a '69 SportsRoof because it was an I6 and there were so few of those built in '69. His premise was rarity = value. There was a reason why so few I6 SportsRoofs (fastbacks) were built in '69. Can you say Mach 1? Nobody wanted a puny I6 in that sexy '69 SportsRoof body. Even the 302 V8 SportsRoofs are hard to find out there and aren't worth half of what a minimum engined 351W 2V Mach 1 is. Now, if you did a gold vinyl wrap on that I6 SportsRoof all bets are off.

Last edited by RagTop69; 10-11-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Come on, no pics? People get banned for less...
Old 10-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

The show is at the bottom of car shows. The other one is Grave Yard Cars, because of that Butthole Worman, he is hard to take but he knows Mopars!!
Bitchin Rides has the best cars and Rawlings is entertaining to say the least Counting Cars is pretty good also, love Danny, some of his lowriders have "heart" and lastly, I want Wayne Carini's job on Chasing Classic Cars, flying around the globe buying cars, WOW!!
NSF

Last edited by Not So Fast; 10-11-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Saw that last night, what a waste of a nice 2007 coupe.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

That show is crap & it doesn't cost $5k to wrap the car & get $35k for it?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:01 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I saw that episode. They never mention the mileage or trim level. I'm sure it had higher miles and even if it was at least a 3lt she still paid retail or more at auction. She mentions that the buyer she has in mind has a chrome wrapped C6. If he knows Corvettes, there's no way he would pay that kind of money for a base 07 wrapped or not.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Geez guys take it easy.......I was enjoying the delusion that my 07 was still worth 35k. Talk about a buzz kill.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback
Geez guys take it easy.......I was enjoying the delusion that my 07 was still worth 35k. Talk about a buzz kill.
wrap it in gold vinyl and put it on a car lot that traditionally sells late 80's honda preludes...
Old 10-11-2015, 07:34 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Worst show on TV. Selling price is a guess or wishful thinking
Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I've seen some pics of your 07. Your Vette at least looks like it's worth 35k.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:08 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Reality tv is not reality. On Dallas car sharks what they say they will sell the cars for is a big joke.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
The show is at the bottom of car shows. The other one is Grave Yard Cars, because of that Butthole Worman, he is hard to take but he knows Mopars!!
Bitchin Rides has the best cars and Rawlings is entertaining to say the least Counting Cars is pretty good also, love Danny, some of his lowriders have "heart" and lastly, I want Wayne Carini's job on Chasing Classic Cars, flying around the globe buying cars, WOW!!
NSF
So true!!

Get notified of new replies

To dallas car sharks c6 -> gold wrapped 2007

Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF
Chasing Classic Cars is the only show of the group with any class and any real educational value. Wayne talks about the cars and in the end, we usually see a real auction value.
The other shows typically break down into trash talking d-bags who may know a little something but are so obnoxious and personified that I can't stand to watch them.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:34 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by unixcorn
Chasing Classic Cars is the only show of the group with any class and any real educational value. Wayne talks about the cars and in the end, we usually see a real auction value.
The other shows typically break down into trash talking d-bags who may know a little something but are so obnoxious and personified that I can't stand to watch them.
Wayne is one of the best. Overhauling is another good car show with heart. I like Wheeler Dealers cause they show Ed doing some repairs.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:47 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like builder shows. I build hot rods as a hobby. The best builder show is on MAV-TV It is called Full Custom Garage. Ian is a amazing fabricator. I watch most of the shows mentioned. I like Graveyard Cars because it is produced locally. I have met Darren who is now off the show. Don't care to meet Mark. Overhaulin and Garage Rescue are OK also.

Quick Reply: dallas car sharks c6 -> gold wrapped 2007