C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer or All Season Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Default Summer or All Season Tires??

Summer or All Season tires??

I do like to drive in winter temps as low as I can drive, but not in any snow. My car does not go out of the garage if there is any snow and if streets are slushy or salted. Just cold weather if applicable.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I put Michelin A/S run-flats on my '08 three years ago and I am very happy with them. Like you, I drive it year-round as long as the roads are clear and free of salt. They're very good in the rain, and cold temperatures have a minimal effect on traction. Summer tires can get a little scary as the temps drop.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
I put Michelin A/S run-flats on my '08 three years ago and I am very happy with them. Like you, I drive it year-round as long as the roads are clear and free of salt. They're very good in the rain, and cold temperatures have a minimal effect on traction. Summer tires can get a little scary as the temps drop.
I have the same tires....very good tires.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I live in FL and I use the Michelin A/S tires.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Ditto

Same experience for me
Old 10-13-2015, 12:16 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Michelin PS2 Zp's on mine and we are in the same area. Car will not go out in rain or snow anyway, but I will drive it if roads are clear in the winter. Just have to use common sense and you are fine.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Michelin A/S here. Makes the C6 a reasonable daily driver.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Michelin A/S here. Makes the C6 a reasonable daily driver.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Michelin A/S 3's non-runflat and very happy with them year round.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use summer tires (Firestone Wide Ovals atm).

You will purportedly have worse traction than a softer summer tire in all seasons, but winter, but if you want to do much driving on ground that gets a hard freeze, go A/S.

I was up in Illinois over last winter with GY supercars (summer) on the car. I decided to get my car out for a ride on a nice dry and sunny, but still well below freezing, day. I almost ended up in the ditch when the back end kicked out while getting on the highway, under mid-level acceleration. Although, it wasn't much of an issue just babying it around town. I think it would take longer to stop if I had to brake hard, with summer tires on frozen road.

From Mobiloil.com:

Tire performance differences
Winter tires, all-season-tires and summer tires differ in the pliability and durability of their rubber at different temperatures. Tire engineers call it "glass transition temperature”: Get them cold enough and every tire will have the grip of a Formica kitchen counter. For a race tire, it might be 40 Fahrenheit. For a winter tire it could be 60 degrees below zero. Summer tire tread starts becoming Formica-like somewhere just below freezing. Most all-season tires are still pliable below zero, but some "ultra-high-performance all-season" tires start losing grip well before that.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/trav...ires-in-winter

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 10-14-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:08 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I also drive in cold temperatures - but never when it's snowy or salty. I would prefer not to sacrifice traction & handling during the other 75% of the year, so I stayed with summer tires. I have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. They maintain excellent traction, and even ride quality, down into the 20's.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Summer or All Season tires??

I do like to drive in winter temps as low as I can drive, but not in any snow. My car does not go out of the garage if there is any snow and if streets are slushy or salted. Just cold weather if applicable.
We ran the Michelin Pilot Sport Z/P A/S tires on our C5 and on our '08 C6. You'll find them extremely quiet compared to the OEM Goodyear tires and the tread life improves considerably. We drove both cars 12 months of the year here in Wisconsin with a very definite improvement in handling and safety over the OEM tires.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Summer or All Season Tires??

Quick Reply: Summer or All Season Tires??