C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recently Aligned my car and now it drifts a bit to the right. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Recently Aligned my car and now it drifts a bit to the right. Normal?

I recently had my C6 (base coupe) aligned front and rear. Today on the highway I noticed it wanting to drift to the right. Is this normal? I recall reading once that for safety reasons a bit of right-drift is built in, but never was able to confirm that.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the brakes and tires - then re-align
Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

No. Should track straight on a level road.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
No. Should track straight on a level road.
take it back. Make sure the road is flat. No crown on it when you test it..
Old 10-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have never done alignment on any of my cars (and I keep them at least ten years) and I can drive them with no hands!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check tires psi...sound's silly but you would be surprised how many shops do a 4 wheel alignment and don't!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I find that my 2011 GS does drift right or left as the road dictates, sometimes tracks straight. It is my opinion that especially with the wide tires on the GS that they will follow any abnormalities in the road surface. Crowns, slopes, grooves, joins etc. plus also have been informed of the "Trammel" effect which I don't really know too much about. I check tire wear constantly and all seems good.
So I'm leaving it alone
NSF
Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Mine will follow the crown in the road but on a flat road it will track straight as an arrow

Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 11:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Your profile only says you are a male, so with no info where you live doesn't help.
If you live where it rains a lot and/or occasionally has snow, then roads are crowned more than drier areas. A good alignment guy will compensate for that, but an average one won't and it'll drift to the right.

If you have a 3 lane divided hwy nearby, drive a couple miles each direction in the center lane. The results will tell you if the alignment is set for flat roads or crowned. Also fill the tank to equalize fuel weight and make sure tire pressure is the same on all 4 tires.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Your profile only says you are a male, so with no info where you live doesn't help.
If you live where it rains a lot and/or occasionally has snow, then roads are crowned more than drier areas. A good alignment guy will compensate for that, but an average one won't and it'll drift to the right.

If you have a 3 lane divided hwy nearby, drive a couple miles each direction in the center lane. The results will tell you if the alignment is set for flat roads or crowned. Also fill the tank to equalize fuel weight and make sure tire pressure is the same on all 4 tires.
Houston, and indeed I tried all three lanes on a couple of Interstate highways. Tank had just been filled. Tires are all good at 8/32+. However, once home I did check air pressures to find the left side a bit lower than the right. I'm going to test it again and if not improved head back to the shop.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Low tire pressure on the left would cause a drift to the left, more drag/increased rolling resistance.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I have never done alignment on any of my cars (and I keep them at least ten years) and I can drive them with no hands!
My DD 11 CTS has 31K on it. Never been aligned, wheels are balanced and have never rotated the evenly worn tires. Same on my last one. Unless you see uneven wear or steering issues why mess with the alignment? Same goes for balancing and rotation. I know that it is all dependent on how/where you drive but just because a certain amount of time and/or miles have passed does not always call for messing with things if they are fine. Was it drifting before? What was the reason for alignment? My car is going to be nine years old January 2nd. Nothing done with tires/wheels except for the alignment check after the oil pan gasket replacement.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 10-20-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Recently Aligned my car and now it drifts a bit to the right. Normal?

Quick Reply: Recently Aligned my car and now it drifts a bit to the right. Normal?