C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flickering headlights? Can someone help me diagnose this?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 AM
skewzme
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flickering headlights? Can someone help me diagnose this?

I have a 2005 Corvette I purchased a couple of months ago 42,000 miles very good condition something seemed to be draining the battery. Took the battery to track auto and they told me to have a bad cell, so I replaced it. I went out to start it this morning would not turn over. When I pressed the start button to start it all of the dashboard lights go out. I tried it a couple times even with jumper cables. It would not turn over. At one point the headlights came on and flickered very fast for about five seconds then the passenger headlight came on and the driver side headlight did not, again for about four or five seconds. Shortly after I purchased the car I put some review and front view cameras in the car. I wondered if they may be draining the battery when the car is not running, but these flickering lights seemed very peculiar to me. Does anyone else ever experienced this?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 161 Posts

You may have more than one condition going on but the dash light flickering is almost always related to a battery issue.
1 - yes even your new battery might be bad
2 - check both ends of the positive cable - battery and starter side to make sure they are tight.
3 - check the solenoid wires on the starter to make sure they are tight
4 - check the negative battery cable at the battery and at the ground location

One of these should clear up the blinking light no start issue.
After that you can put a meter on the car to measure the drain on the battery, post up your finding and someone will chime in on what the typical discharge load is on the battery
Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
You may have more than one condition going on but the dash light flickering is almost always related to a battery issue.
1 - yes even your new battery might be bad
2 - check both ends of the positive cable - battery and starter side to make sure they are tight.
3 - check the solenoid wires on the starter to make sure they are tight
4 - check the negative battery cable at the battery and at the ground location

One of these should clear up the blinking light no start issue.
After that you can put a meter on the car to measure the drain on the battery, post up your finding and someone will chime in on what the typical discharge load is on the battery
sounds like lose battery cables, an u may need to replace the cables . like me u have an 05 an reguardless of the low milage your car is 10 years old. things will get old an wear out. try tighting the cables then see if u can move them, if u can move the cables after tightening mabe time to replace the cables.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your '05 a manual? If so you have to put it in reverse when you turn it off to prevent DBS. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-overview.html
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

When the headlights are doing that flickering, you need to put a volt meter on the system at the battery. My bet would be that the system voltage is very low...this would certainly cause the flickering as the ballast units in the headlights need a certain voltage to fire the light bulbs. It sounds to me like the voltage is low enough to be intermittently firing the lights. Low system voltage can make the C6 do lots of crazy stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Flickering headlights? Can someone help me diagnose this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flickering headlights? Can someone help me diagnose this?