C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:27 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Royal Purple Oil

Will the zinc in Royal Purple affect the cat convertors on a 13 GS C-6, The oil is 5-30 weight and I have 12 quarts that was won at a car show.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by bop
Will the zinc in Royal Purple affect the cat convertors on a 13 GS C-6, The oil is 5-30 weight and I have 12 quarts that was won at a car show.
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Check it occasionally to make sure it's not burning excessive oil. If it is then go back to Mobil 1 and use the free oil
in another car. Why would the zinc hurt? I believe the zinc is just an additive for older cars in the 60's and 70's. I don't see how it could hurt your car.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:47 PM
CallawayC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bop
Is the car stock?

Running an oil with a high zinc content will aid in the overall lubrication of internals. I hear of people running Royal Purple in built engines all the time. I'm not too familiar with it, so I can't advise for or against it. However, people buy additives such as Lucas solely for the zinc content, I'd imagine it couldn't possibly hurt your car in any way if you ran RP.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 PM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by joeking
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Check it occasionally to make sure it's not burning excessive oil. If it is then go back to Mobil 1 and use the free oil
in another car. Why would the zinc hurt? I believe the zinc is just an additive for older cars in the 60's and 70's. I don't see how it could hurt your car.
The 2013 is stock and the oil was won with my 71 LT1 that I have sold. The solid lifter cars had to run the zinc to keep from hurting the cam.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 PM
bop
Pro

Originally Posted by CallawayC
Is the car stock?

Running an oil with a high zinc content will aid in the overall lubrication of internals. I hear of people running Royal Purple in built engines all the time. I'm not too familiar with it, so I can't advise for or against it. However, people buy additives such as Lucas solely for the zinc content, I'd imagine it couldn't possibly hurt your car in any way if you ran RP.
The car is 100% stock and way more power than I can safely use in the mountains.

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple Oil

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil