C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor Replacement

Old 10-31-2015, 08:03 PM
SigmaChiVetteGuy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visor Replacement

My 2013 C6 did not come with a garage door opener integrated into the sun visor. Is it practical or feasible to replace the existing visor with one that has a garage door opener?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It's an easy swap. The power for the homelink or Lear garage opener on the visor comes from the same source as the vanity mirror lights.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yes, many here did it. Consider first if you want the later Lear2U unit or the earlier Homelink. There is a general consensus, I think, that the Homelink is easier to program. There was a recent post in the Tech Forum where a member couldn't get his Lear to program with his new gate opener. When I referred him to an old post with Lear's Customer Service phone he replied back that that number is no longer in service and he can't find any way to get help from that company. So I don't know what's going on with them.

Some here have found less expensive OEM visors on ebay.

Here's just one quick example of folks who have done the swap but not much specific info:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ge-remote.html

Last edited by RicK T; 10-31-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Bought mine on eBay , it's the Lear

make sure u download or Google the instructions on how to remove your old visor .it's easy but if you don't do it right it can be a headache

Dave
The following users liked this post:
SigmaChiVetteGuy (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
SigmaChiVetteGuy
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It's an easy swap. The power for the homelink or Lear garage opener on the visor comes from the same source as the vanity mirror lights.
Thanks for the info......
Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 AM
SigmaChiVetteGuy
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yes, many here did it. Consider first if you want the later Lear2U unit or the earlier Homelink. There is a general consensus, I think, that the Homelink is easier to program. There was a recent post in the Tech Forum where a member couldn't get his Lear to program with his new gate opener. When I referred him to an old post with Lear's Customer Service phone he replied back that that number is no longer in service and he can't find any way to get help from that company. So I don't know what's going on with them.

Here's just one quick example of folks who have done the swap but not much specific info:

Thanks for the info...
Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RicK T

Good post.

We had a 2006 with the Homelink visor, and two Toyotas with the same system. The 2006 is gone and we now have a 2009 with the later Lear unit.

The Lear on our "new" 2009 easily programmed with our 1985 era door openers, which use the older dip switch codes. Many people have had problems programming, but ours worked fine on the first try for each of the three doors.

The Lear unit has much better range for us, the Homelink on any of the 3 cars often required being within 10 feet of the door, before it would open. Few others seem to have that problem.

The vanity mirror covers often break their hinges and want to leave the mirror light on, no matter how careful you are or how you lube those hinges. Repair is difficult even if you can find the parts (I tried, and made a mess of it).
Instead, I recommend what we did on our C5 and many others have done-

Take your original transmitter and use sticky-back Velcro to attach it to the bottom of your steering column, just be sure it won't hit anything as you move the column up/down and in/out.
This method is cheap, programming not needed, hidden but easily felt, easily removed for security or repair, and doesn't involve the complications of keeping your visor in good condition.

Not my idea, I got it here on CF.

Get notified of new replies

To Visor Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visor Replacement