C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather wrap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:08 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Leather wrap

wonderring if anyone has purchased the leather wrap kits they have on sites, and eBay for the heads up display, and information center buttons on the gauge bezel?? I am looking at black leather with blue stiching to match my blue diamond interior. It says you have to trim the pieces, and glue them on. Never done that before. Is it a pita, or simple??
Old 11-19-2015, 11:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-v6
wonderring if anyone has purchased the leather wrap kits they have on sites, and eBay for the heads up display, and information center buttons on the gauge bezel?? I am looking at black leather with blue stiching to match my blue diamond interior. It says you have to trim the pieces, and glue them on. Never done that before. Is it a pita, or simple??
I have bought the leather /w Yellow stitching from "topgaiters" for the Auto shift ****, the shifter boot, and the e-brake handle, and e-brake boot.

I am going to get the guage surround Pod leather this winter. I'm sure that it will be tight fitting for around the pods, and trimming needed where it meets the gage cluster portion, as per the arrows point to.

The leather is really rich looking and thick.
All the pieces need a little trimming, because they make it just a bit bigger than what is needed. The e-brake handle and shifter leather was tight fitting, and didn't need a lot of trimming. I just removed the leather part from the ****, slipped the new one over, and manipulated the edges over as required and glued it so it would hold.
The same for the shifter boot and the e-brake boot. The OEM leather had to be removed from the plastic pieces, and the new leather glued on. I used contact cement for my applications.
It was not that difficult, just have to take your time and trim to fit before you glue the leather on. They all turned out really nice.
Unfortunately, I have not taken a pic of them installed in the car.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-20-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I was considering those pod covers to match my leather console/radio surround but wasn't sure how it would work out.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:25 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
I was considering those pod covers to match my leather console/radio surround but wasn't sure how it would work out.
Interesting. Last year, I sent them an e-mail wondering if they made the leather for the radio surround console, and they don't. I have the old style surround console without the leather sides.
They offered to do me a set for free if I sent my console to them so they could get themselves a pattern. It was so expensive to send the console to the UK, that I didn't follow through with it.
I do have a spare console, so it wasn't like I was afraid of it getting lost, because it needs a repaint job anyway. If they glued the surround on the spare console, then it would be hard to repaint it without getting paint on the leather. I'm sure it would turn out OK, and the stitching would be a perfect match.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-20-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I got my leather wrapped console from DoubleD Dennis. He had a few already made for sale and I grabbed one. I'll get a picture of it on here later.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
I got my leather wrapped console from DoubleD Dennis. He had a few already made for sale and I grabbed one. I'll get a picture of it on here later.
I saw that post by DD, but I was too late in getting one at a great price.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome. Thanks guys. I found those kits on ebay for a great price. Might give it a shot. LV2Tour, you notice any issues with the glue not holding over time? Guess it would really only effect the shifter ****, and the ebrake handle.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slow-v6
Awesome. Thanks guys. I found those kits on ebay for a great price. Might give it a shot. LV2Tour, you notice any issues with the glue not holding over time? Guess it would really only effect the shifter ****, and the ebrake handle.
The shifter **** and e-brake handle leather is really tight fitting to the main plastic parts. I only used the glue on the top of the e-brake handle where the leather wraps down under where the push **** goes in, and none at the bottom part, where it comes fitted.
I only used glue on the shifter **** where it wraps under the ****, and under where the trim cap goes on.

Use a good glue, and you will have no issues. Contact cement, when used properly as per directions, will not move once it is set.
Neither the e-brake handle, or the shifter **** leather move at all when in use, they are that tight fitting without glue.

Hope this helps explain it.

As a further note, the shifter boot and the e-brake boot are fitted on the top portion where they meet the handle, and the ****. The only part of those that are glued is to the plastic bottom pieces, just as the OEM ones are glued to the plastic pieces.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather wrap

Quick Reply: Leather wrap