C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is dead. Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:08 PM
dynarider68
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My car is dead. Help

Ok I posted something earlier about key fobs in the car, new cut key wouldn't open trunk and battery is dead. Anyways after working at it a better part of the day I was able to jack the car up and hook up battery charger to starter but still wasn't able to open car . So I finally get the drivers door open with a couple coat hangers and the car starts honking at me like the panic button was pushed. I grab the fobs and hit all buttons but they seem dead. It stops honking after about a minute or so. I open hood and put charger on battery but the windows still wont roll down, door locks do nothing. I put new batteries in the fobs and still nothing. It wont lock or unlock, windows wont roll down, car wont start. I was able to push the convertible release and open the top and store that away until I get this problem figured out. Did I pop a fuse? Is the battery that far gone that it wont even roll windows down? Do I need to go to dealer to get fobs reprogrammed? Damn car is making me MAD!! I hope someone on this forum is a lot smarter then I (which wouldn't take much). Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarider68
Ok I posted something earlier about key fobs in the car, new cut key wouldn't open trunk and battery is dead. Anyways after working at it a better part of the day I was able to jack the car up and hook up battery charger to starter but still wasn't able to open car . So I finally get the drivers door open with a couple coat hangers and the car starts honking at me like the panic button was pushed. I grab the fobs and hit all buttons but they seem dead. It stops honking after about a minute or so. I open hood and put charger on battery but the windows still wont roll down, door locks do nothing. I put new batteries in the fobs and still nothing. It wont lock or unlock, windows wont roll down, car wont start. I was able to push the convertible release and open the top and store that away until I get this problem figured out. Did I pop a fuse? Is the battery that far gone that it wont even roll windows down? Do I need to go to dealer to get fobs reprogrammed? Damn car is making me MAD!! I hope someone on this forum is a lot smarter then I (which wouldn't take much). Thanks
Take you battery out and bring it to your local auto parts store and have them load test it. I'll bet it is dead or has a bad cell
Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

1) Open Glove Box
2) Place fob in slot on left side
3) Press off on ignition
4) Try starting it now...

My guess is it is a FOB issue.

Good luck, hope this works.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Dead battery = 8-10 hours charging to bring up to full charge. Starter & windows need a solid 12 volt charge to work.

luck
Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by HK770
Dead battery = 8-10 hours charging to bring up to full charge. Starter & windows need a solid 12 volt charge to work.

luck
They can't even check the battery on a load tester until it is fully charged. 8-10, then connect the battery up when fully charged and try things. The horn will sometimes start honking when the battery voltage is very low, so that's not something to worry about. First thing after this is resolved is to get the metal key working properly.

Charge the battery while it is NOT connected to the car, then connect it back up.

Last edited by cclive; 11-22-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

IDK how long you've owned the car, but just about every conceivable problem you will have, has happened and been discussed on here, CF C6 Gen. So, after you get this issue fixed, go up to the section above the threads on C6 Gen and click on "The Official C6 Mega Thread..." FAQs. As I said, either by doing an advanced search (in the red bar) or reading the FAQs, most of your questions will be discussed.

Good luck with this one.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

If it was me I would just go get a new battery, unless yours is less than a year old. Everything except the metal key not working sounds like a completely dead battery.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

These cars get tourette syndrome when the battery is low....just buy a new one - dont waste your time getting it tested...or recharging. These cars need a strong battery or they freak out and cause all kinds of crap....just buy a new one for 125-150 bucks or so and be done with it.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 11-22-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Fobs should never need reprogramming, no matter what you do with or for the car battery.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Fobs should never need reprogramming, no matter what you do with or for the car battery.

If a new battery doesn't solve the problem, then it could be a fuse on the fob reciever or the fob reciever in the dash itself could be bad.

Do try to put the fob in the slot in glovebox and attempt to start it that way first after a full battery charge or swapped to a new battery.

When you opened the door manually it went into lockdown mode, as it thinks someone was trying to steal it.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 AM
dynarider68
Navigator

Originally Posted by Grimlock13

If a new battery doesn't solve the problem, then it could be a fuse on the fob reciever or the fob reciever in the dash itself could be bad.

Do try to put the fob in the slot in glovebox and attempt to start it that way first after a full battery charge or swapped to a new battery.

When you opened the door manually it went into lockdown mode, as it thinks someone was trying to steal it.
Thanks for all the advice..I have the charger on the battery. I left it on all night on 2amps. I will check and try what has been suggested after work today. Thanks for all the advice. Had I known all this crap ahead of time I would be much happier..thanks again everyone.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

http://www.howacarworks.com/electric...attery-charger
Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Once the battery is dead,replace it. It will never be the same after charging IMO. Mine is on the battery maintainer at all times when not driven.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:46 PM
dynarider68
Navigator

Being on the charger since last night and putting the fob in the glove box slot didn't help either. I am going to get a new battery since I don't know how old this one is. Where might I find the fob receiver fuse? under the hood or under the passenger side carpet? I am about to start the damn thing on fire..
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Being on the charger since last night and putting the fob in the glove box slot didn't help either. I am going to get a new battery since I don't know how old this one is. Where might I find the fob receiver fuse? under the hood or under the passenger side carpet? I am about to start the damn thing on fire..
The owners manual will give you a fuse lay out.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 PM
dynarider68
Navigator

Just want to take a minute to thank everyone who helped me through this ordeal with my car. A lot of lessons learned. The battery that was in the car was only 2 yrs old. I replaced the battery after I got off work and bingo it started and everything is golden. Thanks again everyone. This will not happen again. After I ran it for awhile I put a battery tender on it and left the windows part way down just in case..bye for know.
The following 2 users liked this post by dynarider68:
Landru (11-25-2015), okie08vette (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Now get the metal key working to open the trunk...for future reference...
Old 11-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Just want to take a minute to thank everyone who helped me through this ordeal with my car. A lot of lessons learned. The battery that was in the car was only 2 yrs old. I replaced the battery after I got off work and bingo it started and everything is golden. Thanks again everyone. This will not happen again. After I ran it for awhile I put a battery tender on it and left the windows part way down just in case..bye for know.
Glad you got it solved.

I once had a battery fail and was only 6 months old. Broke internally at one of the posts. It was warrantied though. Batteries like all things electronic can be defective. That 's why there are warranties on them, Some fail sooner, some fail right around the end, and some go longer.

These Vettes tend to be hard on batteries as the alternator is right on the edge of being under powered as far as output. Most say they are lucky to get more then 3 years out of them.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:44 AM
dynarider68
Navigator

Originally Posted by cclive
Now get the metal key working to open the trunk...for future reference...
That is the plan. I just want to get it somewhere warm so I don't bust all the plastic parts. I have a long weekend so maybe I will bring it home and put in the garage..

Get notified of new replies

To My car is dead. Help

Quick Reply: My car is dead. Help