C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery for 2006 ZO-6

Old 11-26-2015, 08:48 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default New Battery for 2006 ZO-6

The original Delco battery in our 2006 ZO-6 was replaced under warranty in 2008 with another Delco battery. The replacement was an AC Delco Professional, 90-6YR. For the last year it has not wanted to hold a charge and since we weren't driving it at the time I just did a bit of research looking for a replacement.

I have had terrific luck with AGM's so my preference was to replace it with an AGM as well. With at least one battery that I would not purchase under any circumstances, it doesn't leave a lot of options for an AGM battery. Considering the requirements of the rear compartment and orientation of the battery in the ZO-6, options are even fewer.

A lot of folks here did seem to like the Odyssey battery and having never owned one, I did a bit of research on them and specifically if they made one for the ZO-6. It turns out that they do make one that meets all the requirements and it weighs no more than the Delco I took out. The Odyssey PC1200MJT fits in the compartment with room to spare and once I removed the 1/4" spacer (placed under the Delco battery), the original hold down strap works as well. The biggest challenge is moving the positive cable out of the way to remove the original and install the new battery. (There is a bit of a trick involved.)

As others have mentioned before, the Odyssey does not have a provision for connecting the vent hose to the battery, but AGM's typically do not out-gas as a normal wet cell battery does. If it is a concern, you can set the battery into a "plastic" bag when installing it and then place the vent hose into the opening and seal it with tape or a rubber band.

The cost, shipped to my door was just $212, which is not much more than what I would have paid for an original Delco replacement battery. This is also the same battery Odyssey lists for the non-ZO-6 Corvette.

Hope this is of value and good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-26-2015, 09:18 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Why not just go back with a Delco from your post seems like they have worked pretty well for you. I don't have a Z06 but the OEM battery has work well for me.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Good question... the answer is that my experience over the past 18 years with AGM's has been that they last 10 or more years. In that time I purchased 2 Delco batteries (for my '73 & my '85) that both failed prematurely. Both were bought from our local Chevrolet dealer. The one I purchased for my '85 started leaking acid out of the side terminals in less than a year. This was 3-4 years after the early 2000's leaking Delco battery issue was supposed to have been resolved.

Since I already had an AGM in my C5 and a Miata, I decided to switch to AGM's for the 2006. Yes they cost more, but they have all lasted 10 years or longer.

I like to stick with what works for me.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-26-2015, 10:47 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah with history like that I may be looking at different brands. I don't know anything about AGM batteries so can't help much. I know the battery location in the Z06 makes the battery even more important. Good luck.

Last edited by okie08vette; 11-26-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

If your battery is an enclosed battery you need a vented battery.
The Optma and Odyssey claim you don't need venting but read their website and they can still create hydrogen gas in uncommon situations. Worth the risk...? Probably not,,,
Here is a link in the forum with discussion on this topic..Post #1 and Post #7 ...: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-options.html

Last edited by Cor430vette; 11-26-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Battery for 2006 ZO-6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Battery for 2006 ZO-6