C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 AM
zras01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2008 Recall

I took my 2008 vert into the a dealership the other day for some routine maintenance and they told me that there was a recall on my vehicle for a headlight module. They said they had to order the parts and it would take about a 1/2 day to fix it. I went on line and I am unable to find a recall on my vehicle by VIN #. Has anyone had this work done or know about the recall?

Last edited by zras01; 12-19-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've never heard of a recall for a headlight module. The only recall I'm aware of regarding headlights is the low-beam fix, but that's just a wire, not a complete headlight module.
The following users liked this post:
zras01 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:08 AM
zras01
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I've never heard of a recall for a headlight module. The only recall I'm aware of regarding headlights is the low-beam fix, but that's just a wire, not a complete headlight module.
Thanks...........for some reason in the back of my mind I felt a little suspect of this deal and that is why I checked online. I will wait and see.............
Old 12-19-2015, 07:14 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by zras01
Thanks...........for some reason in the back of my mind I felt a little suspect of this deal and that is why I checked online. I will wait and see.............
If you subscribe to OnStar, open recalls are listed in your monthly email report also.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:24 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by zras01
I took my 2008 vert into the a dealership the other day for some routine maintenance and they told me that there was a recall on my vehicle for a headlight module. They said they had to order the parts and it would take about a 1/2 day to fix it. I went on line and I am unable to find a recall on my vehicle by VIN #. Has anyone had this work done or know about the recall?
Are you a registered user of this site?

https://my.chevrolet.com/home

If not, you could check for recalls.
Also it's useful to keep a log of all your maintenance stuff there as well.
I use it primarily for the above reason, since I do all my own work and like to keep it up to date.
The following users liked this post:
zras01 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

And it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to fix.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

My guess is this is what he was talking about.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:04 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Ask the service dept for the number of the recall. It will probably be something like "N14xxx". Post that number here and we can tell you what it covers.

If it is the C6 low-beam headlight issue, it takes between 15 - 30 minutes for a competent tech to complete.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Vettes4life11
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
And it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to fix.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Like most recalls, the problems that are being addressed have happened to only a very small segment of the cars produced. Some recalls even have limits of time or mileage, since it's not a significant issue or a safety concern.
I chose to avoid having my car in a dealer service area, due to the multiple times additional problems have been created while at different dealers.
Since I haven't had a headlight problem in 128K miles, my chance of getting one now is real slim. The worst that can happen is I'll have to use high beams until I repair it. Knowing how to handle emergencies is 95% of the battle.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
zras01
Instructor

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Are you a registered user of this site?

https://my.chevrolet.com/home

If not, you could check for recalls.
Also it's useful to keep a log of all your maintenance stuff there as well.
I use it primarily for the above reason, since I do all my own work and like to keep it up to date.
That is a neat website...........thanks. I went to it registered and immediately found the information on the recall. It is the low beam headlight issue. From what I can gather that is not a 4 hours job.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Posts about the recall in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6s-merged.html

plus several additional threads throughout the C6 General section of the forum.

Forum search engine will find them.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:06 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Maybe he meant a half day from the time you dropped it off till the time you picked it up. It'll sit around not being worked on for most of that time. Took our Caddy in for an oil change one time and we waited on it, and it took about 3 hours! Waiting doesn't guarantee immediate attention.

The fix, I think, is inside the underhood fuse box, which I suppose he may have referred to as a module. But it's not a headlight assembly, which is what it sounded like at first.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Like most recalls, the problems that are being addressed have happened to only a very small segment of the cars produced. Some recalls even have limits of time or mileage, since it's not a significant issue or a safety concern.
I chose to avoid having my car in a dealer service area, due to the multiple times additional problems have been created while at different dealers.
Since I haven't had a headlight problem in 128K miles, my chance of getting one now is real slim. The worst that can happen is I'll have to use high beams until I repair it. Knowing how to handle emergencies is 95% of the battle.

The chances of an incompetent dealer creating an issue I never had before, far outweighs the remote possibility that I'll even have a low beam problem.

It's unfortunate that so many dealers are totally incompetent, when it comes to servicing/repairing Corvettes.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 AM
zras01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hameister

The chances of an incompetent dealer creating an issue I never had before, far outweighs the remote possibility that I'll even have a low beam problem.

It's unfortunate that so many dealers are totally incompetent, when it comes to servicing/repairing Corvettes.
This was my first and last trip to this dealer, Henson Chevrolet in Madisonville Tex. The whole thing was a fiasco. It was so fouled up they ate the labor cost and only charged me for the fluids, ie. differental oil, motor oil and transmission fluid. That took from 10AM until 3PM, 5 hours, and that was with an appointment and them knowing what the work was 5 days in advance.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Most shops appointments mean nothing. They will always run into unforeseen problems and take the non appointment customer for a quick buck.

I usually try and request the first slot of the day and rarely does it work out this way. I always say I will wait, this helps some.

Talking about just general maintenance fluids and tires etc.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Recall

Quick Reply: 2008 Recall