C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising the C6.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Raising the C6.

I've been having a lot of problems with my car scraping on the local roads around the area that I live. I've mounted rollers to the core support and skids under the rocker panels to protect it. I wish I could raise the car even one inch to help with this constant problem. Is there any cost effective solutions to raise the car a little?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 AM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Lowered???

Originally Posted by CadVette
I've been having a lot of problems with my car scraping on the local roads around the area that I live. I've mounted rollers to the core support and skids under the rocker panels to protect it. I wish I could raise the car even one inch to help with this constant problem. Is there any cost effective solutions to raise the car a little?
Has your car been lowered on stock bolts? What year? Do you have stock tires on it?
Old 12-27-2015, 08:34 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Either you have some really bad roads in your area or the car has been lowered. A stock height on a normal road surface you should not have an issue except for the front air dam scrapping at times. If you can get under your car look at the ride height adjustment bolts. If there is a lot of threads showing and the pad on the top of the bolt is down all the way to the spring then your car has been lowered. You can simply turn the bolt in the clock wise direction to raise it back up. You will need to take the tension off the composite spring with a jack so you can turn the bolt. it takes a 10mm wrench. I suggest that you raise the car up and put it on jack stands which will make it a lot easier. If you cannot do it any good auto shop should be able to in less then and hour. Just make sure you soak all 4 bolts with WD40 our something like it before you start.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Get the car raised on the bolts and an alignment afterwards.

Check condition of your shocks.

Buy a jeep.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Remove the air dams and problem solved...I remove my 3 years ago!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Drive more careful.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:13 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Just crank down the adjustment bolts at he ends of the leaf springs to raise it up. Be careful and adjust them all the same. If you still scrape remove the two front winglets from the bottom of the nose facia. Note: The winglets and the center rubber piece can be replaced very easy so I don't know if I would worry about them scraping too much. If you are bottoming out that is another story.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fred D
Has your car been lowered on stock bolts? What year? Do you have stock tires on it?

The car is an 07 Z51 with Firestone Wide oval runflats on it. It has not been lowered and is the stock height. Around here I have a problems with drainage areas built into street crossings which causes some good size dips in the road. I slow down to a crawl on a lot of them and there are certain streets I don't drive on with this car due to that. It's worse a passenger in the car.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:51 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Get the car raised on the bolts and an alignment afterwards.

Check condition of your shocks.

Buy a jeep.

The car is already raised as far as it will go on the bolts. The shocks are original at 36,000 miles and I have already inspected and tested them.
I have a pickup truck for other duties.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation

I've considered that.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:56 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Drive more careful.

I do. I take care of my baby. Trying to be proactive here.
Do you work at the Tonawanda engine plant? I was born in Buffalo and was raised in Ft. Erie. Live in Texas now.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Just crank down the adjustment bolts at he ends of the leaf springs to raise it up. Be careful and adjust them all the same. If you still scrape remove the two front winglets from the bottom of the nose facia. Note: The winglets and the center rubber piece can be replaced very easy so I don't know if I would worry about them scraping too much. If you are bottoming out that is another story.

The bolts are cranked down all the way. I realise the bottom air dam winglets and center piece are scraficial lambs on these cars. So far the front rollers I installed on the core support has saved me from damage. I'm more worried about hitting something at a higher speed that I can't see in time and damaging my car.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you tried taking the cattle crossings at an angle, driving up at a 15 to 30 degree angle to smooth out the crossing. It's what the ricers and other low cars do.

We have a lot of road humps here to slow traffic. In my Vette I take them at an angle to keep from dragging headers. In my truck I haul *** and jump them.

Last edited by Suds; 12-27-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I've considered that.
A lot of guys have and it Will Not affect your cooling. They look ugly anyway.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:14 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The bolts are cranked down all the way.
When you say they are cranked down all the way does that mean when you look under the car can you see just the end of the bolt or do you see the threads. If you see threads, then you car is not at the factory ride height, but it is lowered.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Spiderxkx
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Wouldn't that have negative consequences to engine cooling? I remember reading something about that.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Spiderxkx
Wouldn't that have negative consequences to engine cooling? I remember reading something about that.
No Sir! GM put them on for cooling, but they did not work as expected. In June 2013 GM talked about them in Car & Driver when they was coming out with the C7.Take off the end ones only and see if your temps change. The center one just adds more drag.

Get notified of new replies

To Raising the C6.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:21 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BWF07
When you say they are cranked down all the way does that mean when you look under the car can you see just the end of the bolt or do you see the threads. If you see threads, then you car is not at the factory ride height, but it is lowered.

I'll take a second look to be sure. The previous owner was very fussy about not altering anything from factory specs though. Which is the reason why I bought it.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:26 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suds
Have you tried taking the cattle crossings at an angle, driving up at a 15 to 30 degree angle to smooth out the crossing. It's what the ricers and other low cars do.

We have a lot of road humps here to slow traffic. In my Vette I take them at an angle to keep from dragging headers. In my truck I haul *** and jump them.

I take road humps at angles too. Up here in Arlington our streets are similiar to yours. Sometimes I like driving my truck better because of this and it's customized with a better sound system than the Bose unit in my Vette.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I do. I take care of my baby. Trying to be proactive here.
Do you work at the Tonawanda engine plant? I was born in Buffalo and was raised in Ft. Erie. Live in Texas now.
Sounds like Midland or Lubbock. Drove a 69 Coupe in both those cities .....could not drive over a beer can lying on it's side.

Just takes some time to adjust your driving habits. My 07 is lowered all the way and I have learned what I have to do to avoid bottoming out, it is second nature now.

Quick Reply: Raising the C6.