C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer and Key FOB'S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 PM
OPOS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer and Key FOB'S?

I took my 2011 Grand Sport to the dealer for an oil change and to service the rear end. I had also ordered two key fob's. The oil change and service went ok, when they tried to program the fob's it wouldn't work. They worked on it for two days with GM tech line to no avail, the only thing they managed to do is erase my key fob's from my system. Now they cant even start the car. They tell me its the module that receives the signal is bad and has to be replaced. Has anyone run into this before?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:16 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

I have never heard of that issue before but it does sound reasonable if the car isn't reading any FOB and there is still power to the car. Let us know if that is the issue and how much the repair costs.

Last edited by 69 L46 4 Speed; 01-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Are the FOB's being recognized in the glove box slot when trying to program them. Another poster had this issue and it turned out to be the antenna for the FOB slot was not lined up behind the glove box. He dropped the glove box door and repositioned the antenna and the FOB was then recognized and programed properly. Just something to look at before they replace anything.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Could removing the battery cable for a few seconds reset the system? May be a good, and much cheaper place to start. If it works, you're good. If not you ain't out anything. Good luck.

P.S. If that works, don't forget the re-index the windows.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-03-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by OPOS
I took my 2011 Grand Sport to the dealer for an oil change and to service the rear end. I had also ordered two key fob's. The oil change and service went ok, when they tried to program the fob's it wouldn't work. They worked on it for two days with GM tech line to no avail, the only thing they managed to do is erase my key fob's from my system. Now they cant even start the car. They tell me its the module that receives the signal is bad and has to be replaced. Has anyone run into this before?
Although I'm not one of them, there are some geniuses here on CF that will likely get to the bottom of this.

Just a random thought: The odds of the module crapping the bed while they were trying to do this seems quite unlikely to me UNLESS they did something to screw it up.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a link to that thread I was talking about in my last post. It sounds very familiar to what you have described where the dealer could not program the fobs and was ready to replace something that did not need to be replaced. Imagine that.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM
OPOS
Advanced

OK. second round. The dealer replaced the RCDLR and Antenna and got two fob's to program. Now the fob's work, but the start button won't start the car. Any ideas? I don't think the dealer does!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What exactly does happen when the start button is pushed? Is there power, any message on the dic, any loud click sound? They may have run down the battery but without more detail, who knows.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Stupid question, but the dealer doesn't sound so bright, do they have their foot on the brake
Old 01-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Although I'm not one of them, there are some geniuses here on CF that will likely get to the bottom of this.

Just a random thought: The odds of the module crapping the bed while they were trying to do this seems quite unlikely to me UNLESS they did something to screw it up.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 AM
615C6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mcandrew67;1591270997]Stupid question, but the dealer doesn't sound so bright, do they have their foot on the brake

I programmed my fobs with a tech 2 scanner. All you need is the tech 2 or MDI. You do not need the original fob if you have either of these scan tools which the dealer has. I lost my only fob and purchased two new fobs. You have to clear the RCDLR's memory of the original fobs and program the new fobs into it. The RCDLR communicates with BCM and ECM to start the car. It actually very easy to do. The reason I have my own tech 2 is because my local dealer is horrible service. Good luck!

Last edited by 615C6; 01-08-2016 at 04:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OPOS (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:19 PM
OPOS
Advanced

After 10 days I have the car back. They had to replace the RCDLR and the Antenna the fob's were programed. Now the car wont start, the BCM and ECM went to sleep. Holding the start button down for about a 60 sec. it beeped and started. Everything is working great now. Still a little costly, but the car is home. 615C6 you are right about horrible service. Next time something goes haywire I'll shop around for a better shop. Thanks to all for helping.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by OPOS
After 10 days I have the car back. They had to replace the RCDLR and the Antenna the fob's were programed. Now the car wont start, the BCM and ECM went to sleep. Holding the start button down for about a 60 sec. it beeped and started. Everything is working great now. Still a little costly, but the car is home. 615C6 you are right about horrible service. Next time something goes haywire I'll shop around for a better shop. Thanks to all for helping.
Bank that the first problem with the fobs was that the glove box antenna was not in the location slot for it, and the reason that when the fob was not in the slot, the RCDLR could not tell the difference in signal strength between the fob slot antenna, and the antenna in the RCDLR itself to allow the fob to be programmed in (could not tell if it was a fob in the slot for programming, or one up on the dash not to be programmed isntead).

As for the starting problem now, would bank that the new RCDLR was not flashed with the correct program, and what is causing the problem.
Note, when you hit the start button, look at the DIC to see if it reading "No Fob detected". If it is, then pull the fob out of your left pants pocket (or shift your left hip up) so when you push the start button, the antennas can see the fob and will allow the car to start.
Hence the C6 has a blind spot down low on the left hand side next to the seat when the fob is there, and you have to raise the Fob up so the antenna can see the fob.

As for Fob antennas, one in each side of car just about the gas door location, one at the back of the car at the hatch latch, the one in the fob slot in the glove box, and an antenna in the RCDRL itself. So when you are starting the car, it looking for the fob to between the RCDLR antenna and the two in the sides of the car. Hence fob in left hand pocket, drivers side antenna picks up the fob, but either the RCDRL does not see the fob, or thinks it still outside the car instead.

And yes, all the fob antenna's can be check with a tech II for there signal strength to make sure that they are working correctly (just move a programmed Fob around the car). Hence if the rocket boys that where having problems programming the fobs in, would have check the signal strength between the RCDRL antenna and the fob slot antenna with the fob in the slot with the tech II to begin with, would have show them that the Fob slot antenna did not have the highest signal strength, and it was the fob slot antenna that has was not correctly in it slot retainer bracket to begin with. and the problem as hand.

So yes, the shop sucks, and bank that you got charged for parts not needed a well.
Note, vet tax is bad enough, but replacing parts that don't need to be replaced is over the top isntead.

As for why the antenna was not in the slot bracket, bank that someone pulled the glove box to do some work behind it, and forget to plug the antenna back in slot bracket when they put the glove box back in.

Hence here is where the bracket that the antenna should have been snapped into,

And bank that it was here loose in the bowels of the dash instead,

Last edited by Dano523; 01-12-2016 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Bruze (01-12-2016), OPOS (01-10-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

And here's one of those geniuses now ^

Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

And here's one of those geniuses now ^
Just pisses me off when someone is gouged for thousands of dollar of good parts swapped out, when the problem could have been solved with just a screw driver and about 3 mins of work instead to put the fob antenna back in it's clip slot.

And again, rocket boys had a tech II to program the new RCDLR, so we know that all they had to do was test the signal strength of the slot antenna and the internal RCDLR in the first place to tell if the fob antenna was in the the correct slot to begin with.
Hence have a expensive GM tool to quickly trouble shoot problems, but don't have not clue how to use it fully isntead.

Hence the strength of the fob slot antenna signal if in the clip slot and the fob in the slot, is so much stronger that the signal strength difference from the RCDRL internal antenna fro the start on a signal check reading, you don't even need any batteries in the fob for that slot antenna to see the fob in the slot. So just a quick check to begin with on signal strengths via the tech II would have clued them in from the start that the fob antenna was not in it clip slot to begin with, and the problem at hand.

Better yet, if the RCDRL was bad to begin with, there is not way in hell that he would have been able to start the car to take the car to the shop in the first place. So this right here weeds out any problem with the RCDLR and it needing to be replace to begin with.

Truth is, if this was me and my car, the dealer would be handing me a check for all the money he charged me for the repair, and one hell of an apology on the techs incompetence as well that worked on the car.
Short of that, GM corp would be involved, as well a lawsuit to take them to court for the 3X the cost of the repair instead. Again, if the RCDLR was bad, there is no way that you would have been able to start the car to take it to the shop with the old fobs to begin with!!!!

Last edited by Dano523; 01-12-2016 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (01-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer and Key FOB'S?

Quick Reply: Dealer and Key FOB'S?