C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy A6 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Default Noisy A6 shifter

In my last post I asked for help or info on my A6 shifter noise. It kinda sounded like metal to metal rubbing. Today I removed the console to get access to the shifter. After observing the mechanical operation of the shifter and not finding any problem, I decided to remove the 4 nuts securing the shifter to see if there was a problem with the cable bushing that so many of you have said could be the problem. The cable has no play on the shifter rod, and seemed to operate just fine. But I did find that the noise I'm hearing is not in the shifter, but in the cable itself. So now I'm not sure if it is normal, or if the cable just dried out (if it was lubed in the first place). I guess I'll just not worry about it. I don't see any was to stop the noise.

UPDATE: Got the car on jack stands this afternoon and watched the shifter cable (trans end) as my wife shifted from neutral to drive and back. I found that the locking pin for the adjuster had somehow come out, and was allowing the cable to move slightly without the shift lever on the trans moving. The noise I heard was the locking pin just slightly rubbing on the teeth of the adjuster. Anyway, I pushed the locking pin all the way in until it snapped into place, and all is well now (see post #2 for a photo of the adjuster). It amazes me that the sound could travel through the cable and make it appear that it was coming from the shifter itself. In case there is a problem in the future, I still have a new cable on hand.

Last edited by unclecookie; 01-23-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The cable can be pulled and re-greased, but if you going to remove the shift cable, just pick up a new shift cable ,and add some grease to it instead. The plastic grommets on the shift cables are short lived, and a brand new cable is only around $50.

As for the cable, it has an adjuster on it, being the clip piece on the shifter lever bushing side.

If you go the below link, the side clip piece has been removed in the first photo, and reinstalled on the second photo. Hence with the both the trans shifter in park, and the trans shifter lever in park on the trans with cable installed both ends, the side clip is installed to lock that cable in its needed length.
https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...-shifter-cable

As for the noise, best best is that if not the cable being dry, then the noise is coming from the trans shift lever on the trans instead. Here, just clean the parts and add a little lube to the parts to solve the steel to steel noise instead.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dano523:
Enterprisehunter (01-24-2016), JagNorb (01-23-2016), unclecookie (01-17-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If the cable breaks you will be stranded. Mine (2006 conv.) had no warning, no noises, or anything unusual. It just broke. Since I was 500 miles from home I had to get it towed and rely on a dealer in the area to get it fixed. Wasn't much fun.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 01-18-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
If the cable breaks you will be stranded. Mine (2006 conv.) had no warning, no noises, or anything unusual. It just broke. Since I was 500 miles from home I had to get it towed and rely on a dealer in the area to get it fixed. Wasn't much fun.
New cable is on order. I will replace it as soon as it arrives.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
New cable is on order. I will replace it as soon as it arrives.
Before you install the new cable, add some extra lube (white spray lithium grease) to the cable from the start. GM does not lube the cables well to being with, and may well lube the cable on the heaver side from the start, then having to pull it later to lube in again then.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

I just updated the original post to share what the actual problem was with my shifter, and the fix.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good info, thanks for posting.

The following users liked this post:
unclecookie (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Had the same problem, my shifter cable broke. Had to have car towed. Luckily car was still under 30 day warranty. Not a big job to replace but it will leave you stranded.

Thanks for the write up and photos.

Last edited by Enterprisehunter; 01-24-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy A6 shifter

Quick Reply: Noisy A6 shifter