C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse to pull so NPP stays open?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Default Fuse to pull so NPP stays open?

One of the guys in my Corvette club mentioned there is a fuse that can be pulled that will keep the NPP exhaust open all of the time instead of just when I'm stomping on the go pedal. I've been searching the forum but I can't find anything about this. Is this actually possible, and if so, which fuse is it?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

no 10, bottom right fuse under passenger floor
Old 02-05-2016, 05:57 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
One of the guys in my Corvette club mentioned there is a fuse that can be pulled that will keep the NPP exhaust open all of the time instead of just when I'm stomping on the go pedal. I've been searching the forum but I can't find anything about this. Is this actually possible, and if so, which fuse is it?

Thanks!
It is in the passenger foot well fuse panel under the carpet.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It is in the passenger foot well fuse panel under the carpet.

Yep that's the one. LV2TOUR did everything but come to your house and pull it for ya LOL

Clif
Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

You might want to put a switch in place of the fuse. In sixth gear at HWY speeds it gets loud with a droning sound. Can't even hear the radio.

Plenty of suggestions on You Tube on how to do the switch and where to place it.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Forum vendor sells "Wild to Mild" which is exactly what you are looking for. They work great!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I used the "Old School" Mild to Wild, which is a small button switch installed on the dead pedal where headlight dimmers used to be.

Cheap, easy to install, no clicker to break/lose/corrode or have a dead battery.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
BalloFruit
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mid-America has a switch that works really well. It's a really simple circuit you can probably build on your own, but Mid-America puts it into a very nice package that's easily installed and mountable.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:17 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Took the fuse out on my new 10' GS the day I got it home 5 years ago!!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:45 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Old 02-06-2016, 08:01 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
You might want to put a switch in place of the fuse. In sixth gear at HWY speeds it gets loud with a droning sound. Can't even hear the radio.

Plenty of suggestions on You Tube on how to do the switch and where to place it.
Agreed 100%. Sounds awesome in city driving but long highway road trips will drive you crazy.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

This is how I did mine

Materials Needed

• Switch kit

OR

• Mini add-a-circuit
  • 2 position switch/button
  • #16 gauge automotive wire
  • Electrical connectors (male and female)
  • Electric tape or wire shrink wrap
  • Wire cutter, stripper and crimp tool
  • Velcro or drill

A simple solution (that is, if you want the open, throaty soundat the tips) would be to simply pull the 10A fuse to the dual-mode exhaust. Ofcourse, you’ll completely lose the “quiet-side” of this bi-mode system. Theremay be times that you welcome the “muffled” purr, like early morning departures,late night arrivals, or the occasional important phone conversation to name afew. Plus, how cool would it be to impress your passengers with a flip of asecret switch or press of a button.

There are aftermarket “all-included” kits for such an install,as well as a complete DIY (gather components) method. This article is notintended to endorse either option, but instead to give you a step-by-step guideto the complete process.

Step 1 – Pull back carpet and remove floorboard/panel

Pullback the carpet on the passenger side foot well. Remove the floor board/panelto access the fuse block.

Figure 1. Location of fuse block.

Step 2 – Remove the 10A exhaust fuse

Usingthe fuse puller, remove the 10A exhaust fuse.

Figure 2. The factory fuse puller is attachedto a clip on the fuse block.

Step 3 – Wire/install a mini add-a-circuit

Strip#16 gauge wire and add a male spade clip by crimping (or solder if you prefer).You may need to cut the spade clip to fit in the circuit slot. Insert the spadeclip into the add-a-circuit to extend the wiring to the switch location. Usethe appropriate length of wire necessary to place the switch where desired. Youwill also need the same length of wire spliced to the existing wire of theadd-a-circuit.

Figure 3. Add-a-circuit.

Shrink wrap or tapethese connections as desired. Install the original 10A fuse in theadd-a-circuit and install the add-a-circuit to the exhaust fuse location in thefuse block.

Figure 4.Completed integration of add-a-circuit wiring.

Figure 5. Installation to fuse block.

Pro Tip

If you have purchased a kit, Step 3 will not be necessary as therevised wiring harness will be included. Simply install the 10A fuse intogiven add-a-circuit harness and plug the harness into the fuse blocklocation. Also, if the kit includes a wireless FOB for activation, thereceiving unit will need to be grounded.

Step 4 – Run (nest and hide) the wires to thedesired location for the switch

Thereare many places to install the switch. Some have installed it in the glove box,under the dash, at an unused switch location, and even on the dead pedal on thefloor. You may need to drill a hole for the switch if desired. Using Velcro isalso an option.

Step 5 – Secure the switch and attach the wiresto the switch terminals

Itdoes not matter which wire goes to which switch post terminal in order tofunction. It may, though, if your switch has a light or LED and you prefer“light on” or “light off” to designate “open” or original functionality.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Some will say that wide open is music for the ears.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Thanks to those who went that extra mile to include the installation instructions for a switch, but pulling the fuse is only a temporary thing to give the exhaust that little bit extra for a short time as I will be getting a Corsa Sport exhaust in the next month or two.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Beltfedbob
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked the switch idea so I went over to autozone and got the tap for about 5 bucks. Found a switch, box and some wire in the shop.

Left the tap off the wire to make it as small as possible. Pushed a length of solid copper core house wire from drivers side to fuse panel side.

Pulled it through and soldered the tap to the wire. plugged it in and tested 4-0.

Tied up wire and attached the box under the dash with Velcro.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse to pull so NPP stays open?

Quick Reply: Fuse to pull so NPP stays open?