C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: What's a modded car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Feeler: What's a modded car worth?

I'm debating throwing my car up for sale due to some things coming about recently (found a car that struck my fancy). Car is paid off so I'm really in no rush but was giving it some thought.

Car has 65,000 miles
3LT
Manual
Navigation
NPP (well had now has B&B Fusion still a valved exhaust)
GM PAL

Basically a pretty well optioned out car.

Now add my mod list in signature. Basically blower, methanol, bilstein shocks, twin disc, upgraded fuel, upgraded rotors, upgraded wheels.

I know mods don't add much to it but what would be realistic offers to take for it both with and without the modifications left on the car.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:52 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Are you talking selling it yourself? Or trading it in?

In my experience, dealers don't want to deal with mods, and rather have stock, so won't give you much if anything for the mods.

If you are selling it yourself, then what would you buy it for, if you were in the market for your car?

eta: If you can afford to list it and wait until you get an offer you are willing to let it go for, then you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Last edited by owc6; 02-06-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Eyeing up the white basket case that recently came up for sale?

Add a few thousand to the selling price of similarly optioned cars to get a little for the mods and see if there are any takers. If you're lucky there will be someone out there interested in a modded car.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM
91RS
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Typically, mods add zero value to the car. Unless you happen to find someone looking for that exact car and are then willing to pay extra to get it. That's why its usually better to demod and then sell your parts and then sell the car stock (there will be a larger market for a stock car). I've learned this the hard way. If you try and trade it in, a lot of dealers will beat you up over the mods and tell you its worth less (but, of course, then turn around and advertise its modded and ask for more). If you're willing to sit on it, you might find someone willing to pay for it but that depends on how long you're willing to wait.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 91RS
Typically, mods add zero value to the car. Unless you happen to find someone looking for that exact car and are then willing to pay extra to get it. That's why its usually better to demod and then sell your parts and then sell the car stock (there will be a larger market for a stock car). I've learned this the hard way. If you try and trade it in, a lot of dealers will beat you up over the mods and tell you its worth less (but, of course, then turn around and advertise its modded and ask for more). If you're willing to sit on it, you might find someone willing to pay for it but that depends on how long you're willing to wait.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:26 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

This is just my opinion so don't be offended. Most people view modded cars as tracked,thrashed and abused. I personally wouldn't give you 2 nickels for it with all the stuff on it because that's how I see it. Take the stuff off and make it less noticeable. Sell all the parts and car separate. Hopefully the person buying it won't be able to tell if its been abused once the stuff is off. Dealer will like it better unmodded too. GL
Old 02-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Biggraz
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever is easy to take off take off because they're not gonna give you extra money for a supercharger, even the exhaust is a simple take off and mod money for the next car. Good luck brotha
Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

I just sold a built jeep to get into my Z06. Sold it private party. I got about 2/3 of the value of my mods. The Jeep was built right with all high end parts though which hold their value a little more in the Jeep world. I dont see many "cheap" parts in the vette world compared to the Jeep world. Took me around 3-4 months to sell it. If it had been stock I probably would have sold it in a week.

I would price the car at NADA/KBB/Edmunds(figure out an average between them) and then add between 50% and 66% of the cost of your mods and throw it up for sale and see what happens. That is IF you dont want to return it to stock.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

I believe there are a couple of modded Vettes that sold...check out the sold thread.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Okay multiple replies and NONE gave me a realistic value of what the car might be worth...$25k?, $30k?, $35k?, $40k?. etc. etc. etc.

That was kind of what I was looking for...just wanting a rough idea given 3LT, mileage, and other factory options.

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Eyeing up the white basket case that recently came up for sale?
White basket? Arctic? Nah I'm not doing a lateral change in vehicles. What I'm eyeballing isn't GM.

Originally Posted by RichKiss
This is just my opinion so don't be offended. Most people view modded cars as tracked,thrashed and abused. I personally wouldn't give you 2 nickels for it with all the stuff on it because that's how I see it. Take the stuff off and make it less noticeable. Sell all the parts and car separate. Hopefully the person buying it won't be able to tell if its been abused once the stuff is off. Dealer will like it better unmodded too. GL
Conversely someone who modded the car may have taken better care of the vehicle. A stock one could be some naive person who hasn't changed the oil in forever and so forth. I agree though I'm cautious on modded cars myself.

Originally Posted by Biggraz
Whatever is easy to take off take off because they're not gonna give you extra money for a supercharger, even the exhaust is a simple take off and mod money for the next car. Good luck brotha
I have a potential buyer for the supercharger so if I sell it I would more than likely remove certain things off the car.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

OK here's my opinion on value:
(Don't shoot the messenger...value is a guess)

2010 year, 65K mileage, heavy modifications.
Less than $20,000.

GLWS

Last edited by Kenny94945; 02-06-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Biggraz
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
OK here's my opinion on value:
(Don't shoot the messenger...value is a guess)

2010 year, 65K mileage, heavy modifications.
Less than $20,000.

GLWS

Kinda early to start drinking
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think 22k is reasonable I would definitely sell the blower separately though. I don't think you are looking at under 20 unless it is in bad condition. If you have a lot of $$ in your wheels rotors and exhaust it is very easy to find someone on here that will swap them with their stock equipment and you pocket the difference with negligible impact to your vehicle sale price
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Okay multiple replies and NONE gave me a realistic value of what the car might be worth...$25k?, $30k?, $35k?, $40k?. etc. etc. etc.
That was kind of what I was looking for....
My opinion? Not knowing coupe/vert, man/auto, fire sale/no hurry sale, private party/trade in, how the car really looks, etc...is $25k without the mods. Less with.
You asked.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-kyle
I think 22k is reasonable I would definitely sell the blower separately though. I don't think you are looking at under 20 unless it is in bad condition. If you have a lot of $$ in your wheels rotors and exhaust it is very easy to find someone on here that will swap them with their stock equipment and you pocket the difference with negligible impact to your vehicle sale price
$22K? Really? Are you saying that his car is worth less than a stock 2010 3LT with 65,000 miles? That seems very low to me. I tend to agree with others who say to remove the mods, and sell them separately. Here in the Phoenix area, 2010 3LT's with your mileage on them are asking in the $26K range. Kelly Blue Book says $26K from dealer, $24K from private party if in excellent condition.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Go to KBB: http://www.kbb.com/?psid=19999&siomi...|26285ajd51861

Gives you the value of your car without mods. You can then add around 33% to 50% of the cost of the mods to that price. You have essentially reduced your target market adding mods.. You now have a smaller target market and you have to find that special someone who wants the mods. This means it will take much longer and be more of a hassle to sell your car. However, you will find someone....I had a 2008 modified to 700hp and this is what I did so I know...

For the larger target market looking for a stock Vette...you would have to reduce KBB price a bit for a quick sale because mods are a negative more than a positive to the larger target market which are all the grey hairs with $$ who would buy it quickly...if it were not modded.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 02-06-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My thinking would be to remove the SC and put it up for $30k. Seems very likely to sell in that range to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Feeler: What's a modded car worth?

Old 02-06-2016, 12:09 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

It's going to take someone that wants a modded car, but if you are not in a hurry and are selling private party, I would bet you can get $2K-$3K over what a non-modded car of similar specs would bring. To determine what that value is, you'll need to check KBB and NADA for "list" values of your car as optioned, then check autotrader within 200-300 miles of your location for similar (non-modded) cars to see what they are listed for.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you can get more for the car with a blower as long as you have receipts. Info on who did the work, dyno charts, etc. I would have paid 2-3k more for the one I just bought if it has your mods.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
I'm debating throwing my car up for sale due to some things coming about recently (found a car that struck my fancy). Car is paid off so I'm really in no rush but was giving it some thought.

Car has 65,000 miles
3LT
Manual
Navigation
NPP (well had now has B&B Fusion still a valved exhaust)
GM PAL

Basically a pretty well optioned out car.

Now add my mod list in signature. Basically blower, methanol, bilstein shocks, twin disc, upgraded fuel, upgraded rotors, upgraded wheels.

I know mods don't add much to it but what would be realistic offers to take for it both with and without the modifications left on the car.
sorry for the dumb question -- but what does Upgraded fuel mean?

also same for upgraded wheels... are not the Corvette variety high quality?

Quick Reply: Feeler: What's a modded car worth?