C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant shift from 6th to 5th it locks up - please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 AM
MD Doc
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant shift from 6th to 5th it locks up - please help

My 2007 6 speed Manuel trans will not down shift from 6th to 5th, it locks up and I cant make my down shift. All other gears are fine, going from 4th to 5th is ok. I changed the trans oil it did not help. I had a 2005 and never had a problem ever. can ya all help.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:06 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be as simple as a linkage adjustment, any trouble with reverse?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I may be able to add just a little. First though is the issue you are facing occurring all the time?

I too have a 2007 M6. I too have experienced an issue where I could not shift from 6th to 5th. In my case this occurs LESS THAN once per year. It has only happened to me 2 or three times. I quickly assumed it was my bad shift pattern so I'm interested to hear someone else has a similar problem.

I do know that in my case this occurs when starting to ascend a hill and I want to down shift.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 PM
MD Doc
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't down shift to 5th

Originally Posted by shakinrock
I may be able to add just a little. First though is the issue you are facing occurring all the time?

I too have a 2007 M6. I too have experienced an issue where I could not shift from 6th to 5th. In my case this occurs LESS THAN once per year. It has only happened to me 2 or three times. I quickly assumed it was my bad shift pattern so I'm interested to hear someone else has a similar problem.

I do know that in my case this occurs when starting to ascend a hill and I want to down shift.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your reply.
It happens all the time. Other then that the trans if fine.
When I changed the oil in trans, I ran a strong magnet through the oil and there were no metal shavings at all. Not even a tiny speck.
It can't be the gears.

The car was really taken care of, so I don't understand this. I am going to change the clutch fluid today to see if that that helps. It's a dark color. It must have clutch dust in it, or it's never been changed.
If I find out the problem, I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Cant shift from 6th to 5th it locks up - please help

Quick Reply: Cant shift from 6th to 5th it locks up - please help