C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Simple Green

There was a thread some time ago about engine cleaning. Several posts said that they used Simple Green to clean their engine and wheels. There is a significant use of bare aluminum on our cars and one should use caution when using Simple Green IMHO.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
The following 4 users liked this post by PaulEddie:
AORoads (02-11-2016), art staggs (02-11-2016), cclive (02-11-2016), JDKnuguy (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good post; seen the caution in different forms before.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Use it all the time on aluminum parts, just don't let the product dry.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I use this one:

http://simplegreen.com/products/extr...ner-degreaser/
Old 02-11-2016, 03:34 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Never had a problem with it. Have been using it on all my cars for years but like some one here said, maybe if you spray it in and let it dry.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Good post...I just figure that in general, leaving any cleaner on the aluminum for a long time is a bad idea...I rinse quickly. As stated, aluminum is a fairly reactive metal, so lots of things can have an effect on it...especially anything even slightly acidic. I've always had good luck cleaning the engine, I just cover the alternator and the fuse box and keep the water away from the big connectors behind the fuse box... and never use high pressure water. I am lucky though because it is very dry where I am, so things dry very quickly.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulEddie
(snip)
However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water.
(snip)

I'm no metallurgist, but I thought one of the reasons aluminum was used extensively in the marine industry was its *resistance* to damaging corrosion from water exposure?

I thought that aluminum reacted with water/air and formed a thin skin/surface layer of oxide, preventing further corrosion? (so in effect, technically, yes, it does corrode, but its self-limiting to an almost cosmetic level)

Maybe Simple Green removes the oxide, and allows further corrosion?

We've probably got some folks here that can shed some light...

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-11-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

What about the barrels of the wheels that were powder coated? Is that extreme simple green safe on powder coating? If not, what would be?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

I use super clean. The purple bottle.

Works great. But on wheels I just reg soap and water.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The one you have to be real careful with is "Purple Power".. I used this on my engine and it corroded my aluminum valve covers so bad , I had to remove them to buff it out and they never shined the same again........WW
Old 02-11-2016, 07:32 PM
1RB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulEddie
There was a thread some time ago about engine cleaning. Several posts said that they used Simple Green to clean their engine and wheels. There is a significant use of bare aluminum on our cars and one should use caution when using Simple Green IMHO.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

PE - I use the aircraft quality Simple Green on the engine and wheels. Does a great job, better than regular SG, and safe.

Check these links:

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/in...ts_extreme.php

http://simplegreen.com/pdfs/TDS_EN-U...tPrecision.pdf

Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

I'm no metallurgist, but I thought one of the reasons aluminum was used extensively in the marine industry was its *resistance* to damaging corrosion from water exposure?

I thought that aluminum reacted with water/air and formed a thin skin/surface layer of oxide, preventing further corrosion? (so in effect, technically, yes, it does corrode, but its self-limiting to an almost cosmetic level)

Maybe Simple Green removes the oxide, and allows further corrosion?

We've probably got some folks here that can shed some light...
But the key word in your post is 'cosmetic'...which is what Corvette owners are usually all about. Wheels and valve covers being the prime examples.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 1RB
PE - I use the aircraft quality Simple Green on the engine and wheels. Does a great job, better than regular SG, and safe.

Check these links:

http://simplegreen.com/pdfs/TDS_EN-U...tPrecision.pdf

Interesting writeup. I read them and wonder if you can answer this question: does this mean it does not corrode or change aluminum in any way? I ask because washing/degreasing aluminum parts on industrial or aircraft may not be a beauty contest type of event. As "cclive" Chris says, for many C6 owners, cleaning is also about keeping/preserving the wheel's original condition, i.e., shine, "chrome" look even if it's merely polished metal.

Get notified of new replies

To Simple Green

Quick Reply: Simple Green