C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud ticking and oil pressure drop

Old 02-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Wes
When you say low oil pressure, how low did u see? Is the gauge registering any oil pressure? Could be a failed oil pump and the ticking could be lifter noise due to oil pump failure....if that's the case and it won't crank now it's not going to be a favorable ending. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.....keep us posted and good luck.

Stuck pressure regulator in the oil pump.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Travis S
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

If your not a mechanic then this might not be the time to try and figure things out on your own. You could do a lot more harm then good! JMO
Good Luck
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Silver07vetteman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say low oil pressure, how low did u see? Is the gauge registering any oil pressure? Could be a failed oil pump and the ticking could be lifter noise due to oil pump failure....if that's the case and it won't crank now it's not going to be a favorable ending. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.....keep us posted and good luck.
When I start the engine it is at 40psi and if I give it gas and bring it back to idle it drops to about 25-30, I haven't been wanting to run it too much so I've only been running it about a minute or so, I get off work in a couple of hours and will get more info for y'all.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver07vetteman
When I start the engine it is at 40psi and if I give it gas and bring it back to idle it drops to about 25-30, I haven't been wanting to run it too much so I've only been running it about a minute or so, I get off work in a couple of hours and will get more info for y'all.
This is normal pressure, but accompanied by knocking and oil is not low. Have it towed to a shop and do not start engine.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Silver07vetteman
Cruising

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
This is normal pressure, but accompanied by knocking and oil is not low. Have it towed to a shop and do not start engine.
Started it with valve cover off and there is no oil getting to the top end but I'm still reading 40lbs on start.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Stingray Wes
Instructor

Based on your latest piece of information it sounds like the oil pump O-ring to me......JMO
Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Silver07vetteman
Cruising

Based on your latest piece of information it sounds like the oil pump O-ring to me......JMO
Cut the oil filter open and no metal shavings at all so now just waiting on my paycheck to get parts, any recommendations on oil pump brands, and I am also going to change timing chain and my power steering pump has been leaking so that also, anything else I should look into while I'm this deep in there.
Also thank y'all for all your help and opinions so far!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:41 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Silver07vetteman
Cut the oil filter open and no metal shavings at all so now just waiting on my paycheck to get parts, any recommendations on oil pump brands, and I am also going to change timing chain and my power steering pump has been leaking so that also, anything else I should look into while I'm this deep in there.
Also thank y'all for all your help and opinions so far!
You will need to take the Balancer off to R&R the oil pump and no way would I put the OEM back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud ticking and oil pressure drop