C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Z51 Harmonic Balancer Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 AM
dbielicke
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Man I wish I had access to a lift, because I would give this a try myself. $250 sounds a lot nicer than $1000 haha
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Just a note. If you create enough room to use one, an air wrench will usually get the bolt our without having to worry about holding the fly wheel. But then of course you may have to get inventive on how you hold the crank while torquing down the new one.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM
JEBmotorsport
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Just a note. If you create enough room to use one, an air wrench will usually get the bolt our without having to worry about holding the fly wheel. But then of course you may have to get inventive on how you hold the crank while torquing down the new one.
That could work, but on the C6 it is not room for any airwrench because of the radiators just in front of harmonic balancer. And as you mention, problems to fasten the new bolt to the right torque.

You also need a powerful torque wrench as the torque is 235 ft-lb. on a ARP bolt.

Last edited by JEBmotorsport; 02-25-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by JEBmotorsport
That could work, but on the C6 it is not room for any airwrench because of the radiators just in front of harmonic balancer. And as you mention, problems to fasten the new bolt to the right torque.

You also need a powerful torque wrench as the torque is 235 ft-lb. on a ARP bolt.
Understood JEB, but when I look at mine it looks as though there may be enough room if you removed the fan and that may not be needed depending on the gun. Heck, the steering rack has to come out anyway and I don't think a 600 lb gun would have a problem getting it loose, barring any un for seen hang ups of course. Just be sure you have that socket on flush cause you sure as heck don't want to round off that bolt...LOL.....
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Although I don't believe there was an actual proven direct correlation between broken timing chains and ASP balancers, the number of times the two were mentioned together was enough to steer people away from that particular brand. If you search you'll find a lot of info. I'm about to drop my car off to have my ASP swapped out for an ATI. During a recent rebuild, my shop discovered my double roller timing chain was locked up and about to fail. Could it have been related to the ASP? Who knows. But I'm not about to go through another rebuild so I'm spending the money for the proven and reliable ATI.

Quick Reply: 2006 Z51 Harmonic Balancer Question