C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Corvette C6 Z51...Need more power

Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Why do u need more power? These cars have tons of ponies under the hood. Need more top end or just acceleration.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com

I had always "heard" the 05 differentials were weaker than the 06+ differentials.

But when you "see" the difference

Here is a picture of an 05 diff case next to a 06+ diff case:

OP, if you have a manual transmission 05 Z51, you are at most risk due to the short gears and chance for wheel hop during hard shifts. I broke my diff TWICE just with full bolt-ons (Z51 6-speed). Honestly, GM should have recalled the manual tran Z51 05 diffs. and allowed them/us to upgrade to the newer case design upon breaking. I knew I was going to supercharge my C6 and do Methanol injection so I upgraded to a 2013 Diff after my GM warranted Diff broke again within a year (I paid the dealer the price difference to upgrade). You also have to change the transmission extension case as the 06-13 diff does not line up with the 05 Z51 manual transmission without it. Zip Corvette sells the trans ext. case kit for like $850.

Expect a 6K bill for the new diff with install unless you can find a used one and also find a cheap place to install it.

I've spent over 35K on performance modifications alone. I don't know what the heck I was thinking (could have bought a ZR1 or C7Z instead). BUT, I love my C6 Z51 Vert' and plan to keep her forever (it was my 1st real sports car I bought during residency and has a lot of sentimental value/great memories). PLUS, having a base C6 Convertible that dusts a C7 Z06, C6 Z06 and ZR1 is priceless. Oh, and that SOUND!!!!!

Last edited by dr.stephan; 02-13-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Just a tune will p/u a little horsepower /throttle response. ....but nothing like you are stating. I have a supercharger and am at 585whp......mine surely won't break loose at 140mph....lol
Your not understanding the answer I gave.

HP dyno tweaks are one thing, but its the reaction times of fuel/spark, and even TB opening rates of the ECM (what Hp tuner and EFI live will not mod on a tune) that the is holding the motor back for a great deal of power to begin with (now allowing the motor to instant rev to redline, and instead the slow ramp up that the motor does now to save the drive line/make the car soccer mom drive able instead.

LS2 base motor in the vet makes 411hp, and not the 390hp of the truck motor in the below video.

So again, de-soccer mom'g the ECM mapping in regards to response times and limits, so the motor will instant response/ instant rev to red line on demand, makes a huge difference to start with.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-13-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Your not understanding the answer I gave.

HP dyno tweaks are one thing, but its the reaction times of fuel/spark, and even TB opening rates of the ECM (what Hp tuner and EFI live will not mod on a tune) that the is holding the motor back for a great deal of power to begin with (now allowing the motor to instant rev to redline, and instead the slow ramp up that the motor does now to save the drive line/make the car soccer mom drive able instead.

LS2 base motor in the vet makes 411hp, and not the 390hp of the truck motor in the below video.
https://youtu.be/UEaAfFMx3JE

So again, de-soccer mom'g the ECM mapping in regards to response times and limits, so the motor will instant response/ instant rev to red line on demand, makes a huge difference to start with.
So what tuning program is being used?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Corvette C6 Z51...Need more power