C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Runflat nail in center of tire, store says still have to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Goodyear Runflat nail in center of tire, store says still have to replace?

I got a nail dead center of the tread in my rear tire. Discount Tire says Goodyear Runflats cannot be repaired, they can only replace them. Claim that Michelin and Bridgestone can be repaired.

Never heard of this so I called Goodyear. The guy there says any run flat has to be replaced if you have a nail, no matter what brand.

I did not lose pressure, tires have been holding air just fine. Happened in the last week as I just had new TPMS sensors put in and the nail was not there when I had that done. I just noticed the nail in the garage today, so I pulled the wheel off to get the tire repaired.

What gives? Nobody will repair it. Can I just plug it myself? I hate to do that, would prefer dismount and patch.

The tires still have 9/32" tread on them and are new, so I hate to buy a new tire for no reason.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Find you a local tire shop that'll repair it. They're around.
The following users liked this post:
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Crow Hunter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had two repaired successfully. As long as the nail is in the tread and not too close to the sidewall. Be sure the shop uses a plug and a patch. Mine ran for many miles after repair w/ no issues.
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

That's BS and I'm surprised Discount would tell you that. The puncture has to be in the tread area "only" (generally the center 1/3 but Goodyear says "within the outside grooves" and it has to be repaired properly; ie: plug and patch, but it is repairable.

Since your nail didn't seem to actually puncture the tire there is no need to fret any more but just for future info, here's an excerpt from the Goodyear Warranty that came with C6 Corvettes:

Goodyear Run Flat Repair Procedure

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. CAREFULLY REMOVE THE TIRE COMPLETELY FROM THE RIM.
2. Locate the puncture on the inside of the tire and circle with crayon.
3. Remove puncturing object if it is still in the tire.
4. Carefully inspect tire on a good tire spreader, with ample light, which will show any cracks, breaks, punctures, damaged or broken beads.
5. Check liner for cuts, cracks, or holes which may cause the tubeless liner to lose air.
6. Check the injury with an inspection awl:
(a)Determine size and angle of injury.
(b)Check for ply or belt separation.
7. Reject any tire that has separation, loose cords, damaged bead(s), or any other non-repairable injury.
8. If the hole is simple and round, steps 9 through 17 of the puncture repair procedure will be successful.
NOTE: If the hole shows evidence of fabric splitting, such an injury cannot be properly repaired using this puncture repair procedure. Such an injury must be skived out and repaired as a section (reinforced) repair, which will maintain the serviceability of the tire, but will invalidate the tire's speed rating. If a section repair is necessary, the customer must be advised, before the repair is made, that the tire will lose its speed rating, and must not exceed operation at normal highway speeds.
9. Use a pre-buff cleaner and a scraper to remove contaminants from the liner in the area to be buffed around the injury.
10. Use a 7/32"carbide cutter for 1/4" repairs to clean out the puncture.
(a)Make sure that the drill follows the direction of the puncturing object.
(b)Always drill from inside to outside of tire.
11. Using chemical vulcanizing cement, lightly coat at least 1/2 of the tapered end of the repair plug. Install the plug in the prepared puncture according to the manufacturer's instructions. Trim the liner side of the plug slightly higher than the surface of the liner without stretching the plug.
12. Center the patch (or patch template) over the injury without removing the backing. Adhere to patch or template instructions, as to positioning as related to bead location. Mark around the outside edge of the patch, approximately 1/4" larger than the patch.
13. Buff the liner and plug at the puncture location. The buffed area should be slightly larger than the patch. The buffed surface should be finely grained (RMA 1 or 2 texture) and even for proper bonding. Use care to prevent burning the rubber with the buffing tool. Do not buff through the liner. Do not buff into the marking crayon.
14. Clean the buffing dust from the tire using only a vacuum or brush. Do not use gasoline or other petroleum solvents on the buffed area.
15. Coat the buffed liner surface and the patch with one evenly applied coat of chemical vulcanizing cement in accordance with the recommendations of the repair materials manufacturer. Allow the cement to dry thoroughly. Do not touch the cemented areas.
16. Install the patch with the beads of the tire in the relaxed position. Position the patch over the puncture according to the markings on the patch. Stitch the entire patch starting from the center, keeping the strokes close together to avoid trapping air under the patch.
17. Cut off the protruding end of the plug about 1/8" above the tread surface.
18. FINAL INSPECTION - The repair must seal the inner liner and fill the injury. After remounting and inflating check the repair, both beads and valve with a soap solution to assure a complete seal.

Goodyear Speed-Rated Tire Repair Limits
II. DETAILED POLICY - Puncture Repair of Goodyear Speed-Rated Tires

The puncture must be confined to the tread area only.
(See "Repair Area", item III-B).

Restrictions on the number and size of repairs must be followed.
(See "Puncture Repair Limits" table, item III-C).

A detailed repair procedure must be followed.
(See "Repair Procedure", item III-E).

A Goodyear speed-rated new tire repaired in strict accordance with items II-A, B & C, will retain its speed rating.

III. REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR SPEED-RATED TIRES

GENERAL
The objective of the puncture repair is to seal the tire against loss of inflation pressure and to prevent damage to the carcass from moisture. In all puncture repairs approved by Goodyear, the hole must be filled with a plug, and a patch covering the hole must be applied according to repair material manufacturer instructions to the inside of the tire. Never repair tires which are worn below 2/32" tread depth.

NOTE: No tire is to be repaired without first being removed from the rim.

REPAIR AREA
Repairing is limited to the tread area only within the outside grooves. No repairs are allowed in the tread area beyond the outside grooves or sidewall.

PUNCTURE REPAIR LIMITS
TIRE SPEED...............MAX. NUMBER...........MAX REPAIR
(SPEED SYMBOL)................................. ....DIAMETER
130 mph and over ...........1......................1/4 in. (6mm)
(H, V, Z)
The following 2 users liked this post by RicK T:
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016), TxLefty (02-26-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Easy repair don't let them BS you. I plugged 2 of mine in the driveway.
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I had a plug-patch with no problems. I was always told you could patch them as long as they didn't get hot running flat.
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:29 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

A few years back, I took my Vette with a nail in the OEM Goodyears to Discount Tire. They patched it for me with no issues. Take it to another shop.
Marcho Polo (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:29 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by RicK T
That's BS and I'm surprised Discount would tell you that. The puncture has to be in the tread area "only" (generally the center 1/3 but Goodyear says "within the outside grooves" and it has to be repaired properly; ie: plug and patch, but it is repairable.

Since your nail didn't seem to actually puncture the tire there is no need to fret any more but just for future info, here's an excerpt from the Goodyear Warranty that came with C6 Corvettes:
Oh it lost pressure once I pulled the nail so it did go through. What I meant is that I never drove on the tire with low or no pressure so I know the tire is fine in that regard.

I found those same repair instructions just a moment ago, so I'll be going to find somewhere to repair this tire tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Oh it lost pressure once I pulled the nail so it did go through. What I meant is that I never drove on the tire with low or no pressure so I know the tire is fine in that regard.

I found those same repair instructions just a moment ago, so I'll be going to find somewhere to repair this tire tomorrow.

Stick to your guns. I had my run-flats repaired twice and they performed flawlessly afterwards. They used a very wide flat bottomed plug and lots of extra goo to ensure it sealed. I had them balanced and mounted and ran them for over a year before they wore out due to normal usage. I also had my car towed on a flatbed after seeing I was losing air. Since I was in a safe area there was no sense in using the run-flat feature needlessly.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My local Discount Tire repaired a puncture - dismounted the tire, patched the puncture from the inside, re-mounted the tire and balanced the assembly - No charge - I'll admit that I have bought several full sets of tires from them and my profile is in their system.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Lonestar13
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrtng
My local Discount Tire repaired a puncture - dismounted the tire, patched the puncture from the inside, re-mounted the tire and balanced the assembly - No charge - I'll admit that I have bought several full sets of tires from them and my profile is in their system.
The issue with Discount Tire and many other stores is not whether the tire can be repaired, it is liability.

Can it be repaired yes!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 PM
triple black c4
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Repair

I put new Goodyears on last fall and after we got home from a 1500 mile trip I noticed a small screw in the outside groove, I took it back to the Goodyear store where I purchased them and asked if it could be repaired and they said yes. They repaired the tire and the car has set since because of the weather but has not lost any air pressure. I asked the service manager about it and told him I liked to do a little spirited driving and he said that it would be fine.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

That the tire cannot be repaired is total BS.
On my original GY F1 Supercars, I picked up a nail and had it repaired by a local shop without any issues. In fact, that patch was still there and holding when I replaced the tires the following year.
BTW, I did not buy another set of GY tires.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I got the same B.S from my local Discount tire store when I picked up a screw so I went & got a plug kit & fixed myself, a month later got a nail in the same tire I also plugged that myself, lost no air until I replaced the tires 9k miles later >> <<
Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in my experience, most simple punctures can be plugged and the tires typically will be fine for most normal road conditions; I got tired of tire shops giving me a hard time so I carry plugs in my road kit; have used them a few times with no issues, even autocrossed my Legacy GT fine with plugged tires; personal judgement and competent risk assessment, only tires that ever came apart on me were due to age, not plugs
Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

I had a nail in one of my OEM GY runflats. Two shops refused to patch it. Firestone agreed to but only after I told them that the tire never completely lost air which was true. I was told they felt the integrity of the tire carcass could be compromised once they are driven on with no air. No issues with the repair afterwards.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

plug it at home with a kit, if I can do it then anybody can

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyear Runflat nail in center of tire, store says still have to replace?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
A few years back, I took my Vette with a nail in the OEM Goodyears to Discount Tire. They patched it for me with no issues. Take it to another shop.
Same here and for free.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:03 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Down here I got the same answers on repair. I called GY Corp office and was told to contact a GY "Gemini" dealer store as they are certified to repair the RF tires. Found one not too far away and sure enough, they repaired with no problem. See if you have such a GY store in the DFW area. If not, the Woodlands store is only 4 hours south of you
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had one repaired with no problem. The tech told me as long as the puncture wasn't in the sidewall chances are the tire can be patched.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Runflat nail in center of tire, store says still have to replace?