C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership Strikes Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 PM
sonic1519
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stealership Strikes Again

I'm not a mechanic and not very good at working on my vette so i have to bring it in to the dealer when something needs fixed. so the check engine light comes on so i go by Advanced Auto Parts and they are kind enough to run a code on it. turns at to be some kind of solenoid emissions part. so i take it by the dealer to let them know about it.

and the service guy goes i know what part that is and it will be around 300 dollars. and i go WHAT NO WAY... he say's let me call parts, he does and they have the part and it's 29.00. then he gets that oh crap i'm busted look on his face and tells me it will be 129.00. 100.00 labor to install a part that will take maybe 20 minutes. i know the game still and they wonder why they get a bad rap sometimes. sorry to vent.....
Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

A few things: there are other places to service cars other than dealers. You can find all sorts of information like prices and install times with Google. I'm hoping they diagnose the problem and verify the fix, which would account for the $100 labor, regardless, they go by book time so how long you think it will take is irrelevant.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

How do you know it will only take 20 minutes to replace the part? What part exactly is it?
Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There are plenty of honest auto repair garages around that are cheaper than dealers that can work on your car.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds like an evap canister purge solenoid, which is a $20ish part and not a lot of labor. I think a lot of dealer personnel get a piece of the action if they can up-sell the customer and get you to part with more of your money, hence all the BS. Ediit - what was the actual obd code that was triggered? That would help confirm what repair was required.

Last edited by v26278; 02-26-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:09 AM
sonic1519
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my homework and try to fix another shop
Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not too sure about other dealers, but the dealer I go to charges 1 hour minimum for labor which as of last summer equate to $129 plus parts. Your dealer may be doing the same. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:34 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I love my local dealership. And I always let them know I appreciate them.

I went in there yesterday and ask my service writer if she ever gets to see the comments from the surveys.
She says, "no." The service manager was there and he says," I do."
I say to him," what do you think about all the bu11sh1t praise I give her for doing a good job."
She gave me the finger and he laughs.

Dealerships are really good to the customers who are really good to them.
I mainly use my dealership for parts, tire changes and alignments.
I take them homemade cookies randomly throughout the year, the service tech who always works on my car gets a 12oz Mexi-Coke every time I stop in.
I have never been thrown out of the shop area when they are working on my car. They are always willing to share information.
I have even learned the basics of how to use an alignment machine from them.
You bought a $50-100K car. You have already gained the service folks respect.
The Corvette is extremely easy to work on and every mechanic in the back wants to wrench on it.

Don't let a few bad service writers ruin your dealer experience. Next time go to a different writer.
I would even point at the other guy and say," don't try to screw me out of 100.00 like that jacka$$." <- - Don't say that if you can't back it up. You might get your a$$ kicked.
I am a former Marine and look like it. Most folks find me intimidating and avoid me. I am just a teddy bear somewhere deep inside.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

I had the Blank Screen on the radio/nav. Took the car to the local dealer to have them do the reflash. The tried to get it reflashed for about an hour but it would not take. They gave me the keys and said 'no charge'.

The dealer here has always been good to me.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought emissions related parts were covered for 10 years?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:23 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC

I went in there yesterday and ask my service writer if she ever gets to see the comments from the surveys.
I say to him," what do you think about all the bu11sh1t praise I give her for doing a good job."

I take them homemade cookies randomly throughout the year, the service tech who always works on my car gets a 12oz Mexi-Coke every time I stop in.
I have never been thrown out of the shop area when they are working on my car. They are always willing to share information.
The Corvette is extremely easy to work on and every mechanic in the back wants to wrench on it.

Don't let a few bad service writers ruin your dealer experience. Next time go to a different writer.
I would even point at the other guy and say," don't try to screw me out of 100.00 like that jacka$$." <- - Don't say that if you can't back it up. You might get your a$$ kicked.
I am a former Marine and look like it. Most folks find me intimidating and avoid me. I am just a teddy bear somewhere deep inside.
Im with you ... I LOVE my dealership too.... Its also good having your good friend being the service/parts director.and also being good friends with the owners of the dealership....
Our dealer is Very involved in the corvette community as they sponser a ton of vette clubs and vette events....the shop is always filled with vettes from all over the state ...
I myself drive 1.5 hours to have my car worked on...and in some cases they will come and get my car and deliver it for me....
Also they are big racers and very involved in the race scene ....
AS a matter of fact we are out at the track right now with Optima Ultimate Street Challenge.... Rich Willhoff the Service director is racing for a golden ticket this weekend.. as he made it to the finals last year on his first attempt.....
Get to know your dealer and build that friendship and you'll never get screwed

Abel Chevy in Rio Vista Ca FTW...........

Thunderhill Raceway
Old 02-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC

Very true Mike. I have gotten to know the Service writers at my local Chevy, and Ford (Wifey's car) dealers. I treat them right, and they make sure I get a fair price, and a job done right the first time. I'm sure this may be harder to do at some of the bigger dealers, but in a small town with small dealers it's the way to work it.

And, thank you for your service to our great country Marine.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 02-27-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic1519
I'm not a mechanic and not very good at working on my vette so i have to bring it in to the dealer when something needs fixed. The service guy goes i know what part that is and it will be around 300 dollars. and i go WHAT NO WAY. $100.00 labor to install a part that will take maybe 20 minutes.
For someone who admits that he doesn't know enough about his car to work on it, you seem to have some pretty developed ideas about how much a job should cost and how long it should take. Somebody intimated that most mechanics will charge a minimum of 1 hour, regardless of how quick the actual repair is. That is true everywhere I have ever gone for service. Beyond that, I found as a small business man that you should never quote a low ball price to a customer. Once you've said "Oh yeah, this is a $150 repair" and it turns out that you were wrong and it is $250, the customer will never believe you, will feel ripped off by the old bait and switch and will not be back. If you tell him "I might be as much as $300" and then you get back to him with the good news that it is only $129, you're a hero in his eyes and he believes that you are 1) honest and 2) looking out for him. The "low ball" approach might get you a one time sale, but the latter approach gets you a customer for life.

Last edited by RagTop69; 02-27-2016 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Stealership Strikes Again

Quick Reply: Stealership Strikes Again