C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement brake pad clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM
ricarr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement brake pad clips

Anyone know where I can get both front and back sets of the clips that hold the brake pads in the brackets? I saw some on Autozone but they do not specify if you can get them for the Z51/ J55 package, which I have on my car. I am guessing the Autozone ones are for the standard size brakes. Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Rockauto.com About $8 each.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Rockauto dot com ,about $8
Old 03-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Itshakes
Rockauto.com About $8 each.
Hahahaha! ! You beat me.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 AM
ricarr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Hahahaha! ! You beat me.
I see quite a few choices....did u guys see specifically for the Z51 fronts? (bigger brakes/ heavy duty)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ricarr
I see quite a few choices....did u guys see specifically for the Z51 fronts? (bigger brakes/ heavy duty)
Except for the size of the piston in the rear caliper of the J55 brakes (it's smaller), the calipers are identical to JL9 brakes.

Only other differences between J55 and JL9 are, rotor size, bracket size, and pad compound.
The following users liked this post:
ricarr (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM
ricarr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Except for the size of the piston in the rear caliper of the J55 brakes (it's smaller), the calipers are identical to JL9 brakes.

Only other differences between J55 and JL9 are, rotor size, bracket size, and pad compound.
Great to know, thank you very much
Old 03-09-2016, 11:04 AM
ricarr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

Looking at your post a little further, when you say bracket size, that leads me to think that the clips I am looking for are a different size between the JL9 and J55, being the clips fit in the bracket....are the front brake pads bigger in the J55 than the JL9? Your thoughts on that?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:30 AM
C6_ZFTY1
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your post a little further, when you say bracket size, that leads me to think that the clips I am looking for are a different size between the JL9 and J55, being the clips fit in the bracket....are the front brake pads bigger in the J55 than the JL9? Your thoughts on that?
Just get the top of the line brake pads at Autozone. They will come with the clips you're looking for. No issues with my 07 Z51...
Old 03-09-2016, 02:31 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default same

the pads and clips on both are the same
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Can you reuse the original clips? While we are on this subject I have one 'watch out' for you. When I replaced my rear pads the Autozone pads came with new clips. So I took out the old and put in the new. The problem came when I did not install the new clips correctly.

In my car (vert w Z51) for some reason there was very little extra room with the brake line so after I removed just the top caliper bolt I could only pivot the caliper down a little. This made it real easy to accidently install new clips incorrectly without knowing it. You may notice that the trailing edge of the clips (before you remove your old pads) fits between the caliper and bracket. Make sure when you reinstall your new clips you have the trailing edge in the same position.

I did not and when I pulled the caliper back into place I didn't realize that the training edge was now bent up inside the caliper. Boy did that make a bad noise when I test drive the car as the clip was now rubbing the top edge of the rotor. So I pulled an old clip from the garbage can, installed it correctly, and all is good.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The bracket I mentioned is only a mounting for the caliper to space it the correct distance from the hub to accommodate the size of the rotor being used.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement brake pad clips

Quick Reply: Replacement brake pad clips