C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan off at times

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 PM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling fan off at times

happened few times,the fan just stopped and the temp got to 250 deg!
I bought the new control module and after few days same thing happened.I was thinking that maybe the temp sensor that modulates the fan speed is bad,but then again it shouldn't happen while the AC is on-fan should be on with AC.All connections look great,wander if the fan motor overheats ?
Thanks.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:52 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Check the three wire connector that leads to the fan module. They have a habit of heating up to the point of melting. You may not see it from the exterior, so take it apart and inspect the inside. My original failed and so did a GM replacement. After the second one, I just bypassed the connector. That was over 4 years ago.
Plenty of threads about this connector if you do a search.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Check the three wire connector that leads to the fan module. They have a habit of heating up to the point of melting. You may not see it from the exterior, so take it apart and inspect the inside. My original failed and so did a GM replacement. After the second one, I just bypassed the connector. That was over 4 years ago.
Plenty of threads about this connector if you do a search.
thank you!
When yours failed was it permanent or come and go kinda thing?
I'll check the connector .Also run a wire from the actual wires going to the fan motor itself and routed it inside with the volt meter on it.So next time it happens I'll know for sure if the power to the fan motor is gone or is it motor itself.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:29 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wildbadbill
thank you!
When yours failed was it permanent or come and go kinda thing?
I'll check the connector .Also run a wire from the actual wires going to the fan motor itself and routed it inside with the volt meter on it.So next time it happens I'll know for sure if the power to the fan motor is gone or is it motor itself.
I don't know for sure if it was an instant death or if there was some agony involved. By the time I noticed a problem, it was already too late. The connector is not watertight, so I suspect that's the cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan off at times

Quick Reply: Cooling fan off at times