C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headed to Bowling Green in couple weeks, like some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Headed to Bowling Green in couple weeks, like some advice

Wife and I are going to BG in 3 weeks, we are going to spend 3 nights in Nashville and then head over to BG

We will leave from there and head to the Bourbon Trail area (I am a bourbon drinker ) and then home

Recommendations on where to stay in BG and can we see museum and do plant tour all in one day .

From what I see it is about an hour from Nashville to BG, really want to do the plant tour but do not want to cut my time short at Corvette museum either .

Also places to eat in BG appreciated as well
Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I recall the public (non-car pickup) PlaNT tour to be about an hour, and the Museum as long as you want. Frankly, including the Museum store, and even lunch at the Museum restau, you can do it easily in two hours, or linger another hour or so. So, that's two plus one (equals four or five).

As to restaus for din or lunch you won't find much better for a good food and price than Montana Grille on Scottsville Rd. about an easy 7 minutes from the Museum. Easily seen from road but a bit difficult to actually get to, but worth it!!!

Stay anywhere. The Super 8 across road from the Museum is very good imo (not the one on Scottsville) at 110 Willamette Lane. It's half way betw. the Plant and the Museum. If you want better, Hampton, Holiday Express, Hilton, et al are all there--it's just a matter of price and distance.

Have a great time!

Last edited by AORoads; 04-29-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: I misspoke...
Old 04-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Smokey Pig Bar-B-Que for an authentic southern BBQ dive - the barbecue is authentic and to die for, but the place is a dive. Great lunch place.

Love the museum, but it is hard to make it last a day, and yes, it is about an hour north of Nashville.

The bourbon trail is great fun (I'm a die hard bourbon and scotch whisky-whiskey guy myself). The Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve tours are the best, with Four Roses down a notch. The rest are so-so - maybe good bourbon, but not so great tours. The Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort is not on the official bourbon trail but should not be missed.

I actually keep about 2 dozen single barrel bourbons and just as many single malt scotches in the bar.

Sounds like a great trip.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 AM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Montana Grill great place to eat.Had a bourbon filet you could cut with a fork.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My wife and I are thinking about flying up from Florida to Nashville in a month or so. Will be gone for maybe 3 or 4 days.

I was just going to rent a car at the Nashville airport and drive up to Bowling Green for the museum and maybe the factory tour ... Do you need to get advance reservations for either of these (museum or / factory tour), or just pay at the door when you get there?

Don't really know where to go in the rental car for the rest of the time, but I have already been to the Jack Daniels tour before.

They have a train tour that lasts about 3 hours called 'Big South Fork Scenic Railroad' which is about a 2 hour drive east of Bowling Green
http://www.bsfsry.com/

Any other suggestions ?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Wife and I are going to BG in 3 weeks, we are going to spend 3 nights in Nashville and then head over to BG

We will leave from there and head to the Bourbon Trail area (I am a bourbon drinker ) and then home

Recommendations on where to stay in BG and can we see museum and do plant tour all in one day .

From what I see it is about an hour from Nashville to BG, really want to do the plant tour but do not want to cut my time short at Corvette museum either .

Also places to eat in BG appreciated as well
The NCM is handling the plant tours now, so you need to start there or give them a call ...

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/plant-tours/

have fun !
Old 04-29-2016, 06:41 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Check out The Lane Motor Museum in Nashville in addition to the regular attractions downtown.

The Opryland Hotel is a must see as well. Just park at the Opry Mills mall lot next door and walk over to avoid the hotel's outrageous parking fee.

I believe you need to reserve a spot for the Corvette plant your through the Museum website.

Another interesting attraction not far from Bowling Green is Mammoth Cave. Make a reservation there if you go.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Taking your time, you can easily do the museum, factory tour, lunch (at the museum) and a little shopping in the gift store in one morning/afternoon. Have a great time & trip
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 73ls1
Montana Grill great place to eat.Had a bourbon filet you could cut with a fork.
Montana Grill is a must stop for dinner...
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Smokey Pig Bar-B-Que for an authentic southern BBQ dive - the barbecue is authentic and to die for, but the place is a dive. Great lunch place.

Love the museum, but it is hard to make it last a day, and yes, it is about an hour north of Nashville.

The bourbon trail is great fun (I'm a die hard bourbon and scotch whisky-whiskey guy myself). The Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve tours are the best, with Four Roses down a notch. The rest are so-so - maybe good bourbon, but not so great tours. The Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort is not on the official bourbon trail but should not be missed.

I actually keep about 2 dozen single barrel bourbons and just as many single malt scotches in the bar.

Sounds like a great trip.
I'm with you on all points!!! The Makers and Woodford were the best tours....and even if you do all of 'em ...there is something a bit different you learn at each!! PS: I just managed to snag a Pappy 10 the other day at the distillery price!

Last edited by blittle; 04-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:41 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Exit 28 and 22

The Museum and factory are located at exit 28 of I65 N from Nashville.
There are hotels very close to the Museum. Exit 22 is restaurant row in
Bowling Green. Longhorn, Rafferty, Montana Grill, Olive Garden,etc.
Another tip, across the street from the Museum is a Muscle Car show room with 100 plus muscle cars, low admission, and is worth a look.
You can google the National Corvette Museum and get the phone # and make your reservation for the plant tour. There is a slight fee for the plant tour, and I think the Museum fee is $8.00 for seniors.
This weekend would have been a great time to visit. The Corvette Bash was there. 2000 to 3000 Vettes there, plus the 2017 Vettes were there
along with many factory engineers explaining the the new features of the 17 models. The road course was open offering rent a rides. The plant is a 1/2 mile away.
As you come off the ramp at exit 28 go to the first stop light, turn left go past a Shell Convenience store and Museum is 1/4 mile back. The Museum and Factory tour are a fun time.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by blittle
I'm with you on all points!!! The Makers and Woodford were the best tours....and even if you do all of 'em ...there is something a bit different you learn at each!! PS: I just managed to snag a Pappy 10 the other day at the distillery price!
]
Due to the hyper-grabs for the 20+ year old Pappy, it's hard to find any of it at any price. Good catch.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Stayed at the Sync Hotel. Could just about walk to the museum.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks everyone for all the info
Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I second the Tapoco Lodge, even if you are not staying there, go to the restaurant/patio by the white water stream for lunch or cool beverages . . . your wife will love that. Also, the Foothills Parkway is supposed to be spectacular and they just opened the last segment to traffic. In Bowling Green, the Montana Grill is hard to beat. I also like the Mellow Mushroom there for casual pizza dining. Be sure to stop at Deal's gap for your souvenir T-shirt and photo of you driving the Dragon The photo's are nice, I got one poster size hanging in my garage next to my car.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Ira T
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by redman76
I second the Tapoco Lodge, even if you are not staying there, go to the restaurant/patio by the white water stream for lunch or cool beverages . . . your wife will love that. Also, the Foothills Parkway is supposed to be spectacular and they just opened the last segment to traffic. In Bowling Green, the Montana Grill is hard to beat. I also like the Mellow Mushroom there for casual pizza dining. Be sure to stop at Deal's gap for your souvenir T-shirt and photo of you driving the Dragon The photo's are nice, I got one poster size hanging in my garage next to my car.
I think they probably went a little over three years ago...
Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

LOL, I accidentally replied to the "Related Thread" instead of the current one.

Get notified of new replies

To Headed to Bowling Green in couple weeks, like some advice

Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by redman76
LOL, I accidentally replied to the "Related Thread" instead of the current one.
They really need to **** can that feature.....
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 11:00 AM
TERRY CLARK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, Drag Strip & Camp Ground there.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
They really need to **** can that feature.....
Originally Posted by TERRY CLARK
Also, Drag Strip & Camp Ground there.
Point made again ...

Quick Reply: Headed to Bowling Green in couple weeks, like some advice