Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

BEWARE!!! Dealer Damaged my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 PM
BlkC6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BEWARE!!! Dealer Damaged my Vette

For anyone who lives in the central Florida area beware. I dropped off my vehicle at Stingray Chevrolet dealership located in Plant City Florida for a starter issue. Late in the afternoon I receive a call from the service rep stating that they had damaged my pristine conditioned (always garaged and never repainted or body work) 2011 Grand Sport Vette. Apparently they had used a machine to push my Vette into the service bay. Common sense was apparently not used that day since one of the reps replied that the machine was actually used to move trucks. There were multiple scratches and gouges on the rear bumper cover. To add to the frustration, the rep that had taken in my car had the nerve to say that and I quote: "If I had not told you...you wouldn't have noticed the damage"...are you kidding me? Scratches and gouges and I wouldn't have noticed it. Plus...at no time did any of the 3 service reps I had interacted with apologize for the damage...great customer service. So I left the vehicle for the repair work since they have an in-house body shop. I let the repair rep know beforehand that he will not be able to match the paintwork since you were adding a new paint job on a car which paint was 5 years old. So when I pick up the vehicle...guess what? There is a noticeable difference between their repair work and the rest of my car. So I let them know my dissatisfaction with the paintwork and I'm asking for diminution of value due to the repair work, which will affect the resale value of the car. But they are stating that because the car was repaired, the resale value is not affected. I beg to differ. The same identical vehicle with no repaint compared to mine will not hold the same value. Even though the damage was cosmetic, it is still noticeable to me and anyone else who sees the car...it will definitely affect me trying to get the most for my vehicle in a private sale. To all, I just wanted to share my negative experience with this dealer and to let anyone in the area know how I was treated. I originally purchased my Vette from this dealer and have had it serviced there as well. I expected a little more from them...guess I was wrong...loyalty means nothing. After serving 27 plus years in the military, integrity is something I live by...guess this dealer doesn't believe in this principle.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:57 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Well, That truly sucks!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 PM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that you are having problems. The Honda dealer's body shop failed to match the paint on her CR-V so when I needed a new nose on my Corvette I took it to a custom body shop. He matched my Supersonic Blue perfectly. Take your car somewhere else and get the paint fixed.

We haven't settled diminished value yet. I am encouraged by the insurance company's reaction when I brought it up. Time will tell.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Oh, if you only knew the people they hire at dealerships. Yes, find a custom shop, get it fixed to your satisfaction.

If it were me, I'd send the bill to Chevrolet, but wouldn't expect any response.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Have them repaint until they get it right. I had to have my C5 bumper repainted by the dealership when they repaired it from a parking lot mishap. I took it back after the first paint job ans told them to take their time, I didn't want the car until it matched. Tell them you won't accept the job until it is done right. They can match it if they know they have to.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

It's a chevy dealer not a high end car dealer who treats people the right way. Have never had a problem with Cadillac dealers that i have been buyibg from since 1999.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

File a complaint with the BBB. You will see how fast they resolve it. I would rather take it to a high end paint shop and let them match your paint.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Get an estimate from a body shop of your choice and request that amount plus $1000 for diminished value from the dealer. If/when they tell you to pound sand, take them to small claims court and bump up the diminished value to $2500. Dealerships have insurance, make them use it.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Well as a fellow military guy, I suggest using the dealer's "coc", climb it as far high as you need it to get the proper resolution that you and anybody deserves. Good luck and let us know what comes of it...
Old 04-29-2016, 09:27 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Another good reason to stay out of dealerships!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Personally, I would have treated as any other accident or vehicle damage and contacted my insurance company. The dealership is going to go the cheapest/easiest way possible to 'fix' the damage they did. Going through your insurance company, you should be able to get it fixed where you want & your insurance company should help insure it is done right.

When I was stationed in Utah, took my new truck back into the dealership to have the tires/wheels that were part of the deal put on. While there, one of the technicians hit something, damaging the right rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel. Dealership offered to fix it; called my insurance company right in front of them. Insurance company informed me not to let them touch it and to bring it to have an adjuster look at it. Insurance had it fixed at a shop of my choice, didn't charge me a deductible and got the dealership to pay for all repairs.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 AM
BrknWndC6
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkC6
For anyone who lives in the central Florida area beware. I dropped off my vehicle at Stingray Chevrolet dealership located in Plant City Florida for a starter issue. Late in the afternoon I receive a call from the service rep stating that they had damaged my pristine conditioned (always garaged and never repainted or body work) 2011 Grand Sport Vette. Apparently they had used a machine to push my Vette into the service bay. Common sense was apparently not used that day since one of the reps replied that the machine was actually used to move trucks. There were multiple scratches and gouges on the rear bumper cover. To add to the frustration, the rep that had taken in my car had the nerve to say that and I quote: "If I had not told you...you wouldn't have noticed the damage"...are you kidding me? Scratches and gouges and I wouldn't have noticed it. Plus...at no time did any of the 3 service reps I had interacted with apologize for the damage...great customer service. So I left the vehicle for the repair work since they have an in-house body shop. I let the repair rep know beforehand that he will not be able to match the paintwork since you were adding a new paint job on a car which paint was 5 years old. So when I pick up the vehicle...guess what? There is a noticeable difference between their repair work and the rest of my car. So I let them know my dissatisfaction with the paintwork and I'm asking for diminution of value due to the repair work, which will affect the resale value of the car. But they are stating that because the car was repaired, the resale value is not affected. I beg to differ. The same identical vehicle with no repaint compared to mine will not hold the same value. Even though the damage was cosmetic, it is still noticeable to me and anyone else who sees the car...it will definitely affect me trying to get the most for my vehicle in a private sale. To all, I just wanted to share my negative experience with this dealer and to let anyone in the area know how I was treated. I originally purchased my Vette from this dealer and have had it serviced there as well. I expected a little more from them...guess I was wrong...loyalty means nothing. After serving 27 plus years in the military, integrity is something I live by...guess this dealer doesn't believe in this principle.

Yes sir! Dealerships are like Insurance companies, always looking to jib you out of all they can get from anyone. Hate it happened but they don't own a Vette so they could careless! I sure hope you reported them to the BBB of FL. I am a firm believer of the BBB. I have had businesses closed down by me reporting on their terrible workmanship.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ...

I have bought more than a couple of vehicles with "come back for free oil changes". Never used a one. And never will. Thank you for sharing your story. Makes for a useful learning lesson.

- JKHolman
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkC6
To all, I just wanted to share my negative experience with this dealer and to let anyone in the area know how I was treated. I originally purchased my Vette from this dealer and have had it serviced there as well. I expected a little more from them...guess I was wrong...loyalty means nothing. After serving 27 plus years in the military, integrity is something I live by...guess this dealer doesn't believe in this principle.

You might try filing a complaint with Chevrolet via their customer service rep that roams these forums.

I had a similar experience with the Chev dealer in Kewaunee , Wisconsin. My wife's (then) new '08 Corvette was struck from behind by a car that was pushed into her Vette. I took it to the dealer we purchased the car from who told us his shop didn't do body work but he had a shop across the road from him that "did all of his Corvette work". I was told the shop did outstanding work.

The night I got our car back (four months later, middle of winter) it looked OK but in the dim lights of the shop you couldn't really see much. In early spring when I finally could do a good hand wash of the car I found runs in the paint, dirt in the paint, a series of cracks about the size of a half dollar (something hit from inside the fender) and the paint was a horrible match (crystal red). I took it back to the dealer who said he could see nothing wrong with the work that had been done, but he did send an insurance adjust who photo'd the work. When I asked for a copy of his report the adjuster refused because it was "detrimental to his client".

I filed a complaint via the Chev Cust Serv. rep on the forum but in the end it was declined since the dealer only brokered the work and his company did not do the work themselves. I ended up paying a friend's shop (considered one of the area's best custom painters) to repair all the work that had been done by the Kewaunee bodyshop.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:17 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

They can match the paint, it just takes a little bit of time and effort. They've been able to match most paint since the 80's.

Metallics being a possible exception.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:37 PM
0J@stingraychevy
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately the rear fascia of this vehicle was scratched while it was in the possession of Stingray Chevrolet (see pics). We contacted the customer to let him know and apologized. We provided a loaner vehicle while the car was repaired and will warranty the repair for as long as he owns the car. Our Body Shop repairs over 300 vehicles each month including high end exotic vehicles, specifically a Lamborghini and Ferrari that were repaired here last month. We have some of the best painters in the business.

The following is a quote from BLKC6; BBB Complaint #67336094 - "Compared to another Corvette with the same options and no repair work performed, my vehicle will not resell for it's full estimated bluebook value of $35,000 due to the repair work now present which has to be disclosed to any potential buyers of the vehicle."

Actually, Stingray Chevrolet will purchase this car for $36,000 if it is still in the condition it was when it left our Body Shop last week. This is $1,000 more than BLKC6 said is full estimated bluebook value. We will purchase the car OR take it in on trade for $36,000. This clearly establishes that there is no loss of value, and therefore no diminution of value is necessary. We will honor this price even if he decides to trade the vehicle in at another dealer and they sell it to us. Because book value changes every month this offer is good through the end of May 2016 as long as the odometer is within 5,000 miles of when it was at Stingray last.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I dont care how good you think your painters are it will not be as durable as the factory paint.

Diminished value applies to the value of the car WHEN IT IS SOLD, not some date you set.

Get notified of new replies

To BEWARE!!! Dealer Damaged my Vette

Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I dont care how good you think your painters are it will not be as durable as the factory paint.

Diminished value applies to the value of the car WHEN IT IS SOLD, not some date you set.
I agree with Wayback, and this car should be worth more than $36,000 if it is in excellent condition and a GS.
This should have been fixed correctly the first time.

I would never take a car there
Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That really bites hope everything turns out right!!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 PM
0J@stingraychevy
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stingray Chevrolet is so proud of the work that our body shop does that we take a brand new $100k+ Z06 and paint them exciting colors that GM doesn't offer. We painted the Stingray that we gave away at the Strawberry Festival this year in a red candy metallic by House of Colors, we painted a Stingray in a Fuchsia for a customer, and painted a Z06 in a Lamborghini color "Verde Ithaca, and several others. These cars were painted with care and you would have a very hard time finding a flaw in it. We know what we are doing, that's why we repair Corvettes after collisions from all across the state, some $30,000+ in repairs.

Repairing a few scratches on a rear fascia of a black vehicle is something we can take care of quite well.