C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl wrapping interior, center console, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 AM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vinyl wrapping interior, center console, etc

Looking for what I want to do for my next mod and I'm really considering giving vinyl wrapping a go on some interior trim pieces, center console, etc. I've got a 2007 C6 for reference. (I know the center console differs some from model/year I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) I've done some vinyl camo wraps on gun stocks and such in the past but thats about the extent of it. I watched several videos on YouTube and it looks to be pretty straight forward, but wanted to ask around for those of you that have actually done it. I think the trim pieces will be pretty easy but the center console will obviously be not so much the same story... please post some opinions, tips, pointers, and maybe some pictures if you go em!

How much material did you guys use and what all did you cover.. etc. I've read some threads where people had to do the center console 3 or 4 times before they got it right, does that entail scraping the whole piece into the trash and starting over or just pulling the sheet back off and reapplying? Trying to figure out how much material to buy, and want to make sure I order extra as I'm sure I'll mess up a few times...

As for brand/type I see 3m 1080, 3m di-noc, and 4D vinyl... any opinions on which?

Last edited by ajohnson1995; 05-02-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 AM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And before anyone badgers me, I did search the forum a bunch and found some good threads. But always good to bring up some past thread for people who may have done it more recently and have some good pointers, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Sanya Kim
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Not to be critical but there is another thread about what a member used to wrap his, I would try to stay within the bounds of Corvette reasoning as his is not, sorry
NSF
Old 05-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I had my '06 wrapped by a guy who has wrapped interior pieces in the past and he had a very tough time doing my console (and couldn't get the pods on the speedo surround done at all). The console looks MUCH better with the carbon fiber wrap but he had to put a seam at the bottom left of it which I'm not super happy about.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

UGHHHHH I don't know why it comes out sideways- can someone fix it???
Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I wrapped my 06 in DiNoc. It was a bear to do, looked great for a week until it got warm in the sun, then it curled. I finally just bought an 08 CF center console.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Dakota Hitchcock
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a reference i am the one not so fast is speaking of about the wrap. The console was actually not hard at all and when done correctly the dic controls can be wrapped with out any issues. You just have to take your time and prep the hell out of it while using the right material. The irony of posting my own work is that I could care less if others like that design because the only reason I printed that is the material and print cost me nothing. It was only created so that I could see if I could do the console without over stretching the pattern or tearing it since it is such a complexed piece. Even carbon fiber can get over stretched and mess up the way the pattern looks of you are not careful. If you want any help with figuring out what you need and have to do please feel free to pm me and I will help you out in any way I can.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM
outdoor_funguy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's vinyl wrap, contact Gatorwraps, they wrap all kinds of crazy things. You might also want to check Gatorprints.They have branches and installers located in just about every large city and they have lots of vinyls to choose from.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

I have seen professionally wrapped interior pieces which look great. Since some of the pieces are small there is a level of skill that professional shops have. the center console should be no problem and not too expensive is you remove it and take it to the shop. Several members have gone the DYI route with good results. It just depends on your confidence.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Vinyl wrapping interior, center console, etc

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrapping interior, center console, etc