C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd circumstance..........

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bruze
Yes, just because it's warranteed for six years doesn't necessarily mean it will last that long. Its actual life depends on the conditions under which it is used.
Exactly...and charging them up from flat takes a lot of life out of a battery.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, just because it's warranteed for six years doesn't necessarily mean it will last that long. Its actual life depends on the conditions under which it is used.
I realize that. I'll check it out today
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

And not being driven that much over those years,means it hasn't been charged much by the alternator. Do yourself a favor,don't charge the old one,replace it with a new one,before your out on a road trip and get stranded at a place like Bates Motel.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Exactly...and charging them up from flat takes a lot of life out of a battery.
It's never been completely dead. Not charging them for only 2-3 weeks won't run them down completely.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
It's never been completely dead. Not charging them for only 2-3 weeks won't run them down completely.
But just letting it sit for a few weeks, on occasion, over several years will weaken any battery -- even one that isn't hooked up to a car. One that is hooked up to a car that draws a tiny amount will be weakened even more.

And at that point, simply recharging it won't reverse the damage.

How much will the battery be weakened -- even though it is "fully charged?" Maybe enough to give the (especially the C6) electrical system diarrhea.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The chemistry of a normal lead acid car battery is such that it does best when it is stored at a full charge. This is just chemistry. The vast majority of cars out there are driven every day or at least every second day. This usage in itself means that most batteries are kept at a full charge. Leaving the Vette to sit for a couple of weeks at a time will mean that while not dead, the battery is spending much of its' time in a less-than-full charge condition. This somewhat shortens the life, even though the battery may always have enough oomph to start the car. This is the reason for a battery tender to be on the battery all the time.
In contrast, a lithium ion battery like those in a laptop computer are best stored at a 50% level of charge...this produces the best long term health for them. Not all batteries are best left at a full charge, but a regular car battery is.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

The way I figure it, if I keep charging it, I can probably get it to last at least another 5-6 years.Maybe more.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 05-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:46 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

The way I figure it, if I keep charging it, I can probably get it to last at least another 5-6 years.Maybe more.
Yup! As long as you have a long extension cord.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

That's not how it works, but good luck with that anyway.

I would opt to replace the battery BEFORE I get stranded. It's a lot cheaper that way.

At any rate, as has been posted here a zillion times, if you want to take the guess work out, get it load tested (at nearly anyplace that sells batteries).
Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

I'm just pulling yer guys legs.

I checked it with a hydrometer this morning and all of the cells were even, but they all read right on the fair/bad line. It's been charging for two days (after I charged it Sunday). And after I charged it with my big charger all morning, it still read the same. So it wasn't talking a charge. It started right up fine all along. I never had any problems with it except for the hood light not coming on. Which I guess isn't supposed to work that way anyway.

So I went down and got a new battery. The new one charges about 14.2 with the AC, lights and everything on, so it carries the load pretty good. Thanks for all your help.

Sorry I teased you guys a little with my joke. I couldn't resist.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 05-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Quick Reply: Odd circumstance..........