C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk lid wont pop correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Trunk lid wont pop correctly.

I suspect this has been covered before but I didn't find the same issue I have.

When I go to pop the 06 convertible trunk it pops up a bit but remains latched. I have to put the popper button again and then the trunk will open.

Anyone solve this issue?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

This was an issue that another experienced here is what they said:

I noticed the latch on the lid was off to the right a little, so I got my torx, loosened it and slid it to the left.....now my lid opens every time

try adjusting the latch on the trunk lid left or right
Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Most of us have this small problem. I read where some company made an assist coil spring to remedy this. I still live with this. You would think this high end Chevy would be perfect. It should have been designed by Toyota sad to say. Years ago I gave my 97 Camry to my daughter and it's still running fine. Corvette is a labor of love and I love them all. Good luck with your car

https://www.corvettemods.com/mobile/...st_p_4978.html

Last edited by enventr; 05-10-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Katie22
I suspect this has been covered before but I didn't find the same issue I have.
When I go to pop the 06 convertible trunk it pops up a bit but remains latched. I have to put the popper button again and then the trunk will open.
Anyone solve this issue?
Katie, my sweets, you are beginning to be a pain!
Ah, just funnin ya...bring it on. We have answers to questions you have not even thought up yet.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

There are two rubber-tipped bumpers that support the trunk lid corners. You can unscrew/raise them slightly to increase the closing pressure. Don't overdo it though, else the corners won't close flush.

The helper struts for an '06 are probably just about worn out by now. They're the skinny shock absorber looking things, one on each side. I'll guess that you're probably also having problems with the hood not staying up in the slightest breeze. Those struts are probably worn out too. You can buy genuine OEM replacements from Gene Culley:

Trunk "lift-cylinder" (two each):
http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...=lift-cylinder

Hood "lift-cylinder" (also two each):
Old 05-10-2016, 05:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by crusher1
This was an issue that another experienced here is what they said:

I noticed the latch on the lid was off to the right a little, so I got my torx, loosened it and slid it to the left.....now my lid opens every time

try adjusting the latch on the trunk lid left or right
Likely the issue is a misalignment of the striker as it slides into the latch. If it is not centered, then it will scrape and produce friction that keeps the trunk from popping open easily. The striker is not properly aligned from left to right. As stated above, you can loosen slightly the screws holding the striker...they are made with some adjustability for exactly this purpose. You can actually watch as you get the trunk lid very near closing and sometimes see an obvious off-center of the striker. To me, adding an extra spring is treating the symptom and not the problem, but many have done this. The nice thing about good alignment is that it helps in both the opening and the closing of the lid. Mine pops up all the way when I push the button but it also closes completely in one drop from the fully open position. One gentle push with a finger and it goes "whump" and is closed...no final push needed.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
There are two rubber-tipped bumpers that support the trunk lid corners. You can unscrew/raise them slightly to increase the closing pressure. Don't overdo it though, else the corners won't close flush.

The helper struts for an '06 are probably just about worn out by now. They're the skinny shock absorber looking things, one on each side. I'll guess that you're probably also having problems with the hood not staying up in the slightest breeze. Those struts are probably worn out too. You can buy genuine OEM replacements from Gene Culley:

Trunk "lift-cylinder" (two each):

Hood "lift-cylinder" (also two each):
Thank you for the referral. We would certainly be happy to help out.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes

The helper struts for an '06 are probably just about worn out by now. They're the skinny shock absorber looking things, one on each side. I'll guess that you're probably also having problems with the hood not staying up in the slightest breeze. Those struts are probably worn out too.
Agree ... My trunk sometimes didn't pop up quite enough. I replaced the lift supports and no longer have that problem.

It's an easy DIY. But hold a towel under the old support when you go pry the C-clip with a screwdriver, because when it slips (and it will), you won't scratch the car or hurt yourself. Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:38 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LedZepper
Agree ... My trunk sometimes didn't pop up quite enough. I replaced the lift supports and no longer have that problem.

It's an easy DIY. But hold a towel under the old support when you go pry the C-clip with a screwdriver, because when it slips (and it will), you won't scratch the car or hurt yourself. Good Luck!
The bottom of the struts look harder to remove the C clips
All you use is a screwdriver? I will probably order the new struts as well. I have centered the latch and it works a hair better. I played with the bumpers. The only other correct fix is to replace the 2 struts.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

You all are awesome. I ended up buying new struts for the trunk lid and sure enough the thing is working correctly now.

It turned out the struts were working ok except at the down position where they wore out and were not pushing on the lid to open at all.

Go figure.

Katie
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Some white lithium grease in my latch helped a ton too.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 PM
enventr
Safety Car

I just ordered the lift supports. I'm not familiar with them and they should be here sometime next week. When I take the old c ring off do I put it on the new one then just pop it in or put the c ring on after I position the lift support in the trunk. I hope there is instructions.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 01:24 AM
LedZepper
Drifting

Originally Posted by enventr
I just ordered the lift supports. I'm not familiar with them and they should be here sometime next week. When I take the old c ring off do I put it on the new one then just pop it in or put the c ring on after I position the lift support in the trunk. I hope there is instructions.
Thanks
You won't have to reuse the old C rings because the new supports will already have them on. You will just tap the new supports into place on the ball studs at each end. A mallet may be helpful, but be gentle.

Before you remove the old support, hold the new one up next to it so you can observe the proper orientation. Remove and replace one side at a time.

If you ever do the ones for the hood, get someone to help you by holding the hood up, because it is much heavier than the trunk lid.

Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 AM
enventr
Safety Car

You won't have to reuse the old C rings because the new supports will already have them on. You will just tap the new supports into place on the ball studs at each end. A mallet may be helpful, but be gentle.

Before you remove the old support, hold the new one up next to it so you can observe the proper orientation. Remove and replace one side at a time.

If you ever do the ones for the hood, get someone to help you by holding the hood up, because it is much heavier than the trunk lid.

Good Luck!
Thanks for clarifying
Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Thanks for clarifying
You're welcome!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Installed today and works like it should when new. Great thread
Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Installed today and works like it should when new. Great thread
Happy to hear that! Hey, I've been to St. Lucie. Nice town and good people.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Happy to hear that! Hey, I've been to St. Lucie. Nice town and good people.
I have been here a little over a year and a half and I like it. No more snow for me lol. I go boating but you have to be careful in the St Lucie River ( I saw 8 alligators in 1 hour.) I usually take some of my pistols with me just in case) They filmed a lot of movies on that river because it looks like you are in s jungle with no civilization in sight. Moonraker with Roger Moore was filmed here( just the boat chase scene. About 5 miles from my house.
A lot of car shows golfing if that's what you like and shopping. One day would like to see the famous Alamo in Texas

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk lid wont pop correctly.

Quick Reply: Trunk lid wont pop correctly.