C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-07 steering wheel spoke covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 05-07 steering wheel spoke covers

Attempted searching Google and here, can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe they don't exist.

Looking for steering wheel spoke covers, preferably snap-on so I don't have to dismantle the wheel, but want them in matte black. Not carbon (not my thing) and not gloss (also not my thing). I have to steering wheel controls, if it matters.

At this point I'd take any snap-on covers and just paint them myself if need be.

Anyone seen 'em?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Have you tried looking here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-wanted-115/
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
Attempted searching Google and here, can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe they don't exist.

Looking for steering wheel spoke covers, preferably snap-on so I don't have to dismantle the wheel, but want them in matte black. Not carbon (not my thing) and not gloss (also not my thing). I have to steering wheel controls, if it matters.

At this point I'd take any snap-on covers and just paint them myself if need be.

Anyone seen 'em?
To make it simple if you just want them flat black, tape everything off, scuff them up with a scotch bright pad and paint them. I'd personally pull the airbag, two little torx screws hold them in place, un plug the wire harness, un clip the button module from the cover so you don't have to tape around the buttons and paint them. Would look perfect! Probably take 30 minutes! Do you have blue tooth buttons? I have an extra set that I could do for you!
The following users liked this post:
LifeInAVette (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 PM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spokes

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
To make it simple if you just want them flat black, tape everything off, scuff them up with a scotch bright pad and paint them. I'd personally pull the airbag, two little torx screws hold them in place, un plug the wire harness, un clip the button module from the cover so you don't have to tape around the buttons and paint them. Would look perfect! Probably take 30 minutes! Do you have blue tooth buttons? I have an extra set that I could do for you!
I agree--it's not hard to remove and install the spoke covers. It probably take less time to remove them than it would to mask around them. Matte black could be done nicely with rattle can paint in no time.

Doing stuff like this for yourself gives a feeling of satisfaction as well as getting to know your car better. Do this small job, and you'll not only have a great looking steering wheel, but you'll be intimately familiar with what is under those spoke covers. Enjoy the project!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 AM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by PacificaVette
I agree--it's not hard to remove and install the spoke covers. It probably take less time to remove them than it would to mask around them. Matte black could be done nicely with rattle can paint in no time.

Doing stuff like this for yourself gives a feeling of satisfaction as well as getting to know your car better. Do this small job, and you'll not only have a great looking steering wheel, but you'll be intimately familiar with what is under those spoke covers. Enjoy the project!
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of masking everything off and rattle canning them (krylon fusion is fantastic) but thought I'd see if there were covers to fit instead. Knowing me I'd forget one important area to mask and have a black streak somewhere unpleasureable in the car lol. Also knowing me I'd mess up the air bag removal and installation.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of masking everything off and rattle canning them (krylon fusion is fantastic) but thought I'd see if there were covers to fit instead. Knowing me I'd forget one important area to mask and have a black streak somewhere unpleasureable in the car lol. Also knowing me I'd mess up the air bag removal and installation.
Seriously, pulling the airbag is a piece of cake! I've swapped out two steering wheels, one on a cobalt, (same wheel) and the airbag is the easiest part. I'm not recommending this but I've even swapped out those spoke covers a few times without even disconnecting the battery. You don't need to disconnect the airbag to pull those covers. In fact I'd recommend not pulling the airbag because you may break the little locking tabs in the process, they are brittle sometimes. But to make things safer, disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes or so for the cap to discharge and take it apart. Very easy
Old 05-19-2016, 01:06 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Seriously, pulling the airbag is a piece of cake! I've swapped out two steering wheels, one on a cobalt, (same wheel) and the airbag is the easiest part. I'm not recommending this but I've even swapped out those spoke covers a few times without even disconnecting the battery. You don't need to disconnect the airbag to pull those covers. In fact I'd recommend not pulling the airbag because you may break the little locking tabs in the process, they are brittle sometimes. But to make things safer, disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes or so for the cap to discharge and take it apart. Very easy
Agreed. I think I could pull airbag and both spoke covers in four minutes.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Lol, okay okay okay. I'll pull the airbag and paint this weekend.

Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I got mine a few years ago from ApsisUsa.com… Some 3m tape and your done… 5 min install…

http://apsisusa.com/?page_id=10496

Get notified of new replies

To 05-07 steering wheel spoke covers

Quick Reply: 05-07 steering wheel spoke covers