C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Interior Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default 2005 Interior Rear View Mirror

Does anyone have an exploded view or instructions on how to disassemble the rear view mirror?

My mirror wobbles and I'd like to take it apart to fix it, but my dealer says it's a sealed unit and the whole thing has to be replaced for $600.

I have the mirror with the OnStar and the compass display, and the auto dim.

Alternatively, can I replace the mirror with a non OnStar and/or no compass mirror? I don't use OnStar and likely never will and the compass, while nice to have, is not necessary.

Thanks.
Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 05-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
C7-Daddy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Zeeman, I just fixed min last night because the prior owner mounted a laser detector on it.

Mine wobbled at the connection to the window, not the connection that the mirror swivels on. Mine was a super easy fix.

So to remove it, just grab the base that is connected to the window and swing it 1/8 turn tword the passenger side. The full mirror will disconnect from the window, but the wiring will still be attached.

I grabbed some black foam tape about a 1/2" thick and 3/8" wide and placed a 3" piece along the area in the back where there started to be ribbing. The foam will help to take up the slack.

Reinstall the mirror in the same way you took it off. It helps to have a second person there to line you up so nothing gets broke. I was trying to reconnect mine with a slight angle down and I was not able to get it the first three tries.

Once it is connected, the wobble should be gone. Total cost is under a dollar and less than 10 minutes.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

That is how you remove the mirror from the base. The reason the mirror shakes is that the pins that keep it solidly in place on the windshield mount get bent from adjusting the mirror a lot.
I removed my mirror, removed the (3) pins, straightened them out and re-installed. The shake was gone. I try not to adjust the mirror too much, just so the pins will stay straight.
Here is a PDF of how to remove, fix and re-install.
Attached Images

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-19-2016 at 05:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
BRussell (05-19-2016), Zeeman28a (05-21-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Thanks for the reply guys. I will give this a try.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:03 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi Stan

I had the same problem a few years back and instead of tearing it apart and fixing the pins I put a grade school style eraser and wedged it between the top of the windshield and the mirror. No wobbles till this day . You cant see the eraser from the outside of the car because of the tint running across the top of the windshield

Someone on the form posted the eraser fix and so I though I would give it a try

Nice fast and easy fix

One day I will tear into it and straighten the pins though

Last edited by crusher1; 05-19-2016 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zeeman28a (05-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:58 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'd be afraid to touch mine at this point. It would probably fall off into my lap.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Thanks for the assist guys. That PDF really helped.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Is it easy to replace? I don't need to fix the old one, they're giving me a complete new assembly. The mirror backing on mine is deteriorating around the compass and there are lines that go across the entire mirror (from edge to edge) that are in the backing material, ie, inside the unit.

So in order to take off the old one:

1. unhook the electrical

2. grasp the base of the mirror, turn it clockwise so the top rotates to the 2 oclock position. It comes free.

3. Rotate the new mirror towards the 2 oclock position, push it onto the windshield mount and turn it counterclockwise to the 12 oclock position. It snaps in place.

4. Re-hookup the electrical, you are good to go.

Seems that should only be like a 7 - 8 min job tops.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Not a sealed unit. The pins get bent. I took my pins and turned them 180°. Some people have fabricated new pins out of drill bits.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

It took about 10 minutes. The pins in the mirror are not that stiff. The mirror was ok for a bit but it's back to doing the wobble thing again. Going to try that drill bit idea. Should last longer using a steel bit.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:10 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
It took about 10 minutes. The pins in the mirror are not that stiff. The mirror was ok for a bit but it's back to doing the wobble thing again. Going to try that drill bit idea. Should last longer using a steel bit.
The drill bits work better then any of the other fixes I have tried...The problem with the original pins is they're to flexible and bend to easily allowing the mirror to wobble...The drill bits are stiffer and won't bent out of shape , allowing you to adjust the mirror without bending the pins......WW
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by crusher1
Hi Stan

I had the same problem a few years back and instead of tearing it apart and fixing the pins I put a grade school style eraser and wedged it between the top of the windshield and the mirror. No wobbles till this day . You cant see the eraser from the outside of the car because of the tint running across the top of the windshield

Nice fast and easy fix

One day I will tear into it and straighten the pins though

The crazy stuff we do to our cars. I've seen and done some interesting things as well. I guess thats the fun of the toys.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Seems like a poor design. Like I said mine doesn't wobble, just getting it replaced due to a defective mirror. Once mine is adjusted I rarely move it. Can the pins be bent during installation? so the dealership might inadvertently bend them while mounting the new mirror? Mine is nice and tight now, no wobbling issues....but there are blemishes inside the mirror on the backing. Streaks going across the entire length and the edges deteriorating around the compass window. There since new....but postphoned the replacement just for this issue, didn't want to trade in one defect for another (the wobbling).
Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by crusher1

I did the eraser fix also...

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Interior Rear View Mirror

Quick Reply: 2005 Interior Rear View Mirror