C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 auto won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
donkt88
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 auto won't shift out of park

I have an 05 auto corvette that occasionally will not shift out of park without restarting the engine.
Anybody have a clue what might be wrong?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Do a search for "stuck in park" and you'll find lots of info about it.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:21 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Same problem on my 05. 4 times now and managed to wiggle and beat on it and got it to release. This past Friday did it again so got out and went to call the tow truck but decided to give it another try and it worked. Called the chev dealer and he knew exactly what the problem is (happened to his vette) has the parts on hand and have an appointment on Monday. Didn't say what the part needed is but will let you know when it's done.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:33 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by donkt88
I have an 05 auto corvette that occasionally will not shift out of park without restarting the engine.
Anybody have a clue what might be wrong?
I believe it's a cable linkage from your shifter to your tranny that is worn out on the ends. My '09 does the same thing occasionally. I find that pushing forward on the shifter in "PARK" and then moving back usually solves the problem. Speaking of solving problems, where is Chevrolet on correcting this well known flaw in their design. I guess all their engineers are busy working on the cheesy plastic fuel tank and pump assembly "redesign".
Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It happens to almost all c6 auto's because the transmission lock out solenoid is too slow to react, and does not disengage the locking pawl.
It happened occasionally to my 2006, and I just tied back the locking pawl, basically bypassing the solenoid, so no more worries.
Sometimes, the shifter can come out of Park, but unable to get past drive, or back into park easily.
The other issue could be the shifter cable end(s) bushing breaking. This usually causes the shifter to move but not engage the transmission.

For the Solenoid issue, some owners just run a wire from the pawl to their console, and disengage the locking pawl whenever the solenoid does not disengaging it.

Here is a PDF of the DIY. This also works for the A4 shifter as well.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 PM
donkt88
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I had no idea this was a design flaw. I'm going to make an appointment at my chevy dealer to have it repaired.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

The dealer will replace the entire shifter - $450-$500.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
The dealer will replace the entire shifter - $450-$500.
and the new shifter is not immune to the "stuck in Park" phenomenon.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Got back from the dealer this afternoon. After their test drive and mine and numerous shifts from park to drive all appears normal. What they told me was that "the computers were throwing codes and not communicating with the solenoid and there was service bulletins that had not been done and they did them so it's good to go." I have new Michelins ordered (they price matched the cheapest) so will drive it a week while waiting for them to see what, if anything, happens.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by xtroms
Got back from the dealer this afternoon. After their test drive and mine and numerous shifts from park to drive all appears normal. What they told me was that "the computers were throwing codes and not communicating with the solenoid and there was service bulletins that had not been done and they did them so it's good to go." I have new Michelins ordered (they price matched the cheapest) so will drive it a week while waiting for them to see what, if anything, happens.
If whatever they did fixed it for good I will be shocked.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xtroms
I'm giving that GM dealer service department an A+ for trying something other than just replacing the shifter.
If it ever does it again, I bet they will just replace the shifter with another, or you can do a DIY and never have to worry about it again.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 auto won't shift out of park

Quick Reply: 05 auto won't shift out of park