C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Driving my Vette

I've had my base 2007 C6 since March. I drive it on the weekend and it has been kept in the garage since I got it. Well, my daily driver (2000 Jeep Wrangler) which I love and it has 190K miles on it, is been having issues with the front end. I work 60+miles from my house each way and I decided to take the Vette to work. It just happened that the whole week that I was using the car it rained cats and dogs every day with nasty traffic. UNBELIEVABLE !!! The only time that I really enjoyed driving the car to/from work was Sunday morning coming home...beautiful Sunday morning with no clouds and beautiful blue skies !!! I turned off the stereo and just listen to the beautiful sound of my car humming all the way home.

Believe it or not, the Vette survived the rain !

The Jeep is back in service...Tires were bad and needed replacement. Jeep is back on the road.

The Vette is cleaned and waxed and back in the garage. I enjoyed using the car. Our Vettes were meant to be driven, period. I should use it more often.
The following 3 users liked this post by corvette312:
BrknWndC6 (05-24-2016), Cyber Grey (05-25-2016), OlyC6 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

We drive the heck out of our '06 vert. Rain, snow whatever. American muscle is meant to be driven.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:47 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

And all is right with the world!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I got spoiled early by driving it from the dealer to home, which happened to be 1250 miles away, and really enjoyed the driving experience. When I joined the forum, it seemed like a lot of owners only used their C6 on weekends, mostly to car shows, and didn't drive them much at all.
I almost got swept into that trap, but soon realized that I loved driving the C6, so I made a decision to enjoy it as much as possible.

My wife really likes it as well, so we take it on "all" our summer road trips, and we both find it very comfortable, with lot's of storage for suitcases.
We can't avoid rain, because during a 7-14 day road trip, it would be a miracle to not get rain.
I try to keep it clean, polished and looking as nice as possible, but I never worry about a rock chip or anything of that sort.
I even wash it after every day on our road trips, just so it's looking good for the next day of driving.
I plan on keeping it, and I'm not worried about the resale value when I do decide to sell it.
I don't do car shows, so it doesn't have to be squeaky clean on the underside.

I've created one sin that is looked down upon by a few forum members, but I don't give it much thought. Yes! I only use Non Runflats, and have been for the last 70K miles. I know, I should be ashamed, and scared to death during the many road trips.

Hopefully, you will enjoy your car as you see fit. There is no right or wrong.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by corvette312
Our Vettes were meant to be driven, period. I should use it more often.
Yes, yes you should.

Daily driver here...over 30K smiles in 2 years!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

While mine isn't a dd, We do plan on using it as often as we see fit, trips and such are in the plans.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Lately, if we didn't drive them in the rain, we'd be stuck at home. So… they get driven in the inclement weather.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I got spoiled early by driving it from the dealer to home, which happened to be 1250 miles away, and really enjoyed the driving experience. When I joined the forum, it seemed like a lot of owners only used their C6 on weekends, mostly to car shows, and didn't drive them much at all.
I almost got swept into that trap, but soon realized that I loved driving the C6, so I made a decision to enjoy it as much as possible.

My wife really likes it as well, so we take it on "all" our summer road trips, and we both find it very comfortable, with lot's of storage for suitcases.
We can't avoid rain, because during a 7-14 day road trip, it would be a miracle to not get rain.
I try to keep it clean, polished and looking as nice as possible, but I never worry about a rock chip or anything of that sort.
I even wash it after every day on our road trips, just so it's looking good for the next day of driving.
I plan on keeping it, and I'm not worried about the resale value when I do decide to sell it.

I've created one sin that is looked down upon by a few forum members, but I don't give it much thought. Yes! I only use Non Runflats, and have been for the last 70K miles. I know, I should be ashamed, and scared to death during the many road trips.

Well said.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

So true ! So True ! Life is just too short to have a beautiful super car to sit in the garage. Might as well use it while you can because for sure you can't take it with you when the time is up !!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

yup I'm with Paul.. Drive it like you stole it.. Rain ok and I actually like seeing the water bead up and fly off the car and my windshield.. I usually wash it twice a week and wax it once a month or so.. I DO however have runflats... :-)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 AM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette312
So true ! So True ! Life is just too short to have a beautiful super car to sit in the garage. Might as well use it while you can because for sure you can't take it with you when the time is up !!
This is my philosophy. Some day I'll be dead, and someone else will pick it up at my estate sale ... I may as well use it first!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 AM
jhawk127
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Daily Driver here. Perhaps I've taken for granted how awesome it is to drive daily. Don't get me wrong - I do love it, and driving other vehicles is........boring now. I'm not afraid to drive in the rain, snow, etc., but will generally avoid taking the Vette when bad weather is imminent (and especially recently when there's been a possibility of hail).

Great reminder of how cool it is to drive a Vette daily! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 AM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, the main reason I got my Vette (apart from always wanting one) was that the Shelby Cobra I had (the one in my avy) was just soooo super impractical & uncomfortable. I mean it's a beautiful car, scary fast but we just weren't driving it enough.

Since it's a roadster, with no roof, no windows, no radio, no A/C....basically no comfort, the times we would drive it was very limited.

Especially here in South Florida where it is HOT AS HELL 360 days of the year & it rains just about every day during the summer (no guys, summer in Miami is not all Super Models in bikinis & parties. It's brutal heat, afternoon thunderstorms & mosquitoes).

To go out in the Cobra it had to be a perfect day: not too hot, not too cold, no chance of rain & we couldn't go anywhere where we would dress nice because she was going to get there with her hair all messed up & we both would be sweaty & smelling of gas & fumes.

So I decided to sell the Cobra & use that money to buy a Z06, which I always wanted. Picked it up last Friday & Jesus, that thing is a Cadillac compared to the Cobra! Just as, if not more scary fast, but much more refined & Waaaaaaaaay more comfortable. I was thinking about that as I was driving it home, doing about 75mph on the highway in total air conditioned comfort.

I've had the Vette less than a week, but I'm sure we are going to enjoy it much more than we did the Cobra. We're already planning a weekend getaway to Key West (another thing we would've never done in the Cobra).

My daily driver is my Nissan pick up work truck. But my weekend driver is my new beloved Z06!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

It's fun to drive them on a daily schedule, but I often find I'm cleaning as much as driving it. I'm mostly cleaning it because I want her to look good. It's hard letting them look dirty.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

April to November daily driver here too. It stays in the driveway though for tropical storms & severe weather.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

yes, that's true....especially with a black one

I think I've spent as much, if not more, time researching cleaning products as I've had researching performance parts, lol.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

April thru Oct for my Z. I drive it like life is going to end soon and I enjoy the heck out of it!

This car spent its first 6 years in someones garage on a battery tender... When I bought it, it was still virtually brand new, and I couldn't help but wonder why the guy paid $78K for a brand new car and never drove it?! Crazy if you ask me. So, he took the $40K depreciation hit and I am steadily trying to make up the mileage difference, while wearing this silly grin

Get notified of new replies

To Driving my Vette

Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *El Ocho*
Well, the main reason I got my Vette (apart from always wanting one) was that the Shelby Cobra I had (the one in my avy) was just soooo super impractical & uncomfortable. I mean it's a beautiful car, scary fast but we just weren't driving it enough.

Since it's a roadster, with no roof, no windows, no radio, no A/C....basically no comfort, the times we would drive it was very limited.

Especially here in South Florida where it is HOT AS HELL 360 days of the year & it rains just about every day during the summer (no guys, summer in Miami is not all Super Models in bikinis & parties. It's brutal heat, afternoon thunderstorms & mosquitoes).

To go out in the Cobra it had to be a perfect day: not too hot, not too cold, no chance of rain & we couldn't go anywhere where we would dress nice because she was going to get there with her hair all messed up & we both would be sweaty & smelling of gas & fumes.

So I decided to sell the Cobra & use that money to buy a Z06, which I always wanted. Picked it up last Friday & Jesus, that thing is a Cadillac compared to the Cobra! Just as, if not more scary fast, but much more refined & Waaaaaaaaay more comfortable. I was thinking about that as I was driving it home, doing about 75mph on the highway in total air conditioned comfort.

I've had the Vette less than a week, but I'm sure we are going to enjoy it much more than we did the Cobra. We're already planning a weekend getaway to Key West (another thing we would've never done in the Cobra).

My daily driver is my Nissan pick up work truck. But my weekend driver is my new beloved Z06!
A trip to Key West on the Overland (Overseas) Highway in a C6 is a great ride for sure. We were on 3 week road trip in our C6, and driving to Key West was definitely a highlight.
Enjoy your Z06!

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-24-2016 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
*El Ocho* (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:08 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Drove mine to the hardware store today, and felt like such a hero. It's deffo the best looking car around. It makes cool noises, is very shiny, and chicks dig it because it doesn't wear any underwear.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
Drove mine to the hardware store today, and felt like such a hero. It's deffo the best looking car around. It makes cool noises, is very shiny, and chicks dig it because it doesn't wear any underwear.
Couldn't of said it better myself!

Quick Reply: Driving my Vette