C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lousy Chevy/GM Parts Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Indy-V
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lousy Chevy/GM Parts Service

I am in the process of upgrading my stock brakes to the Z51 rotors. I ordered all of my parts from GMPartsHeadquarters.com since they had the best price including shipping. I received everything within a week except for one bracket PN 88964167. I keep getting the same excuse that the part will ship next week. I've been wating for nearly two months now. Please help me Chevy Customer Service.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Summit has a ship date of 6/27 for the same part. Several other vendors also show they have the bracket in stock. So for a few extra bucks, you could get on with it... or you could just wait for the one you ordered to arrive. You just need to decide whats more important, saving some money, or getting the car back on the road.
Stuff like this seems to happen to me all the time. No use getting too wound up about it. Best of luck to you either way.

Garry
Old 05-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-V
I am in the process of upgrading my stock brakes to the Z51 rotors. I ordered all of my parts from GMPartsHeadquarters.com since they had the best price including shipping. I received everything within a week except for one bracket PN 88964167. I keep getting the same excuse that the part will ship next week. I've been wating for nearly two months now. Please help me Chevy Customer Service.
Good Morning Indy-V,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing a continuous delay on the bracket for your Corvette, and can understand your frustration with the long wait. However, as GMPartsHeadquarters.com is a third-party website that we don’t own or maintain, we are unable to track your order. I would suggest you continue to work with them, as they are in the best position to look further into this for you.

Please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you might have in the meantime.

Best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Get it at the dealer. I went to my local Chevy dealer and had one of those brackets in 10 minutes. I think it was $60.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

You order from the cheapest 3rd party parts house you can find online, and then say its "lousy Chevy/GM service" when the service is slow and inaccurate?

Hmmm... let's examine that and see if we can find the root cause of your issue...
The following users liked this post:
ruxvette (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kent1999
You order from the cheapest 3rd party parts house you can find online, and then say its "lousy Chevy/GM service" when the service is slow and inaccurate?

Hmmm... let's examine that and see if we can find the root cause of your issue...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Check with Gene at Cultrag...he likely has it in stock...
Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

I was looking at a Corvette catalog yesterday because my '09 base 1LT seems to have developed that low speed bump, bump, bump when stopping at a light. My past experience with several other cars, GM and Japanese, is that the front rotors may have warped and need to be either turned or replaced. The catalog showed a kit that included ceramic pads, new red calipers and cross drilled rotors for my base Vette. They also had a kit for Z51 brakes that had larger rotors for about $300 more. The stockers are 12.8"/12.0" and the Z51s are 13.4"/13.0". The catalog says "must have 18" front wheels" on the Z51 kit and to see their page 240 where the wheel selections are, but my base car does have 18 x 8.5s in front stock. Does anyone know if the Z51 kit will fit inside a stock "Gumby" '09 wheel, because I like the idea of more swept area, but I'm definitely not buying wheels to make that happen.

Last edited by RagTop69; 05-25-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I was looking at a Corvette catalog yesterday because my '09 base 1LT seems to have developed that low speed bump, bump, bump when stopping at a light. My past experience with several other cars, GM and Japanese, is that the front rotors may have warped and need to be either turned or replaced. The catalog showed a kit that included ceramic pads, new red calipers and cross drilled rotors for my base Vette. They also had a kit for Z51 brakes that had larger rotors for about $300 more. The stockers are 12.8"/12.0" and the Z51s are 13.4"/13.0". The catalog says "must have 18" front wheels" on the Z51 kit and to see their page 240 where the wheel selections are, but my base car does have 18 x 8.5s on it stock. Does anyone know if the Z51 kit will fit inside a stock "Gumby" '09 wheel?
Yes, it will. Z51 rotor/calipers will fit inside any set of factory C6 wheels.

Last edited by Kent1999; 05-25-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I was looking at a Corvette catalog yesterday because my '09 base 1LT seems to have developed that low speed bump, bump, bump when stopping at a light. My past experience with several other cars, GM and Japanese, is that the front rotors may have warped and need to be either turned or replaced. The catalog showed a kit that included ceramic pads, new red calipers and cross drilled rotors for my base Vette. They also had a kit for Z51 brakes that had larger rotors for about $300 more. The stockers are 12.8"/12.0" and the Z51s are 13.4"/13.0". The catalog says "must have 18" front wheels" on the Z51 kit and to see their page 240 where the wheel selections are, but my base car does have 18 x 8.5s in front stock. Does anyone know if the Z51 kit will fit inside a stock "Gumby" '09 wheel, because I like the idea of more swept area, but I'm definitely not buying wheels to make that happen.
Z51 brakes, more correctly known as J55, front calipers are identical to base (JL9) brakes. The actual swept area of front rotors is barely 2% greater, but with almost no additional reduction in stopping distance. Additionally, ceramic pads have less stopping power than semi-metallics. You'd increase performance far more by swapping to better pads.

The bump, bump, bump you feel is more likely to be spots of pad compound build up, since modern rotors don't warp like the old single thickness ones did. Try a few higher speed 60-80 mph hard stops in quick succession to clean and re-distribute the pad material.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Most likely an independent GM car dealer similar to GMPartsDirect.com. Don't expect any help from GM because you didn't buy from GM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Z51 brakes, more correctly known as J55, front calipers are identical to base (JL9) brakes. The actual swept area of front rotors is barely 2% greater, but with almost no additional reduction in stopping distance. Additionally, ceramic pads have less stopping power than semi-metallics. You'd increase performance far more by swapping to better pads.

The bump, bump, bump you feel is more likely to be spots of pad compound build up, since modern rotors don't warp like the old single thickness ones did. Try a few higher speed 60-80 mph hard stops in quick succession to clean and re-distribute the pad material.
If he wants to do it to get the look of the drilled rotors, that's fine, but he shouldn't be kidding himself about much better braking performance...it's about the looks.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
If he wants to do it to get the look of the drilled rotors, that's fine, but he shouldn't be kidding himself about much better braking performance...it's about the looks.
To add to that I did a little research on drilled VS slotted because of some controversy on another thread.
Not knowing much about it I was surprised to find that indeed SLOTTED are better than Cross drilled, at least in the reviews I read
NSF
Old 05-26-2016, 01:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Real race cars never use drilled rotors, they are for looks. They look good...it's OK, but they are for looks not performance. Every hole drilled in a rotor is a potential starting point for cracks.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Check with Gene at Cultrag...he likely has it in stock...
Thank you for the kind words. This item is and has been on backorder with no ETA for quite a while now.

I do have to question the OP going to a non-forum vendor and then complaining and asking for help on the forum? A bit contradictory?

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Last edited by Gene Culley; 05-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Way to go Gene!

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Thank you for the kind words. This item is and has been on backorder with no ETA for quite a while now.

I do have to question the OP going to a non-forum vendor and then complaining and asking for help on the forum? A bit contradictory?
I respect the way you responded to Mr. Shovel. You met your obligation and sometimes you have to bottom line and draw the line. You will never please everyone, but you sure do try to do so. I wish I had a $ for everyone who threatened me.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Culley (06-23-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Lousy Chevy/GM Parts Service

Quick Reply: Lousy Chevy/GM Parts Service