C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM NavTraffic

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts
Default XM NavTraffic

I know there are old posts on this topic but the last one was 2010 and I have 2013 so thought I'd ask again. I received a letter offering 2 free months of XM radio so I called them up and activated it last night. I got an email from them today showing 2 items, the XM Select radio and NavTraffic.

I've read the NAV manual and watched the three 20 minute tutorials, I don't remember anything about NavTraffic. Anybody know if the factory '13 NAV can use NavTraffic and just what it does?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I know there are old posts on this topic but the last one was 2010 and I have 2013 so thought I'd ask again. I received a letter offering 2 free months of XM radio so I called them up and activated it last night. I got an email from them today showing 2 items, the XM Select radio and NavTraffic.

I've read the NAV manual and watched the three 20 minute tutorials, I don't remember anything about NavTraffic. Anybody know if the factory '13 NAV can use NavTraffic and just what it does?
The short answer is that the C6 Nav will NOT do anything with the XM Nav/Traffic info. Enjoy the radio and move on.

BTW, XM would also like to sell you their Weather Info. But, again the C6 doesn't have the capability to deal with this data.

The Nav system in my wifely-unit's Acura has these features and the weather is a waste, but the Nav/Traffic is marginally useful. Too bad we can't use it.
The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 02:15 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Another Don
The short answer is that the C6 Nav will NOT do anything with the XM Nav/Traffic info. Enjoy the radio and move on.

BTW, XM would also like to sell you their Weather Info. But, again the C6 doesn't have the capability to deal with this data.

The Nav system in my wifely-unit's Acura has these features and the weather is a waste, but the Nav/Traffic is marginally useful. Too bad we can't use it.
Thanks. Weird that XM would put it on the invoice (at no charge) if the head unit can't use it. They know what the vehicle is.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Thanks. Weird that XM would put it on the invoice (at no charge) if the head unit can't use it. They know what the vehicle is.
XM thinks that their customers are morons. When your free period runs out, they will want to charge you for that "service". My advice is to call them on the 59th day of your 2-month freebie and tell them to cancel all of it. They will be reluctant to let you do that and shift your call to the "canellation department". They will then try to keep you as a user and this is where you negotiate your renewal price. If you read the fine print, you agreed that after this 2 month period you will be automatically renewed at the then current prices.

They have probably one of the worst business models on Planet Earth for how to deal with customers.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:33 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Another Don
XM thinks that their customers are morons. When your free period runs out, they will want to charge you for that "service". My advice is to call them on the 59th day of your 2-month freebie and tell them to cancel all of it. They will be reluctant to let you do that and shift your call to the "canellation department". They will then try to keep you as a user and this is where you negotiate your renewal price. If you read the fine print, you agreed that after this 2 month period you will be automatically renewed at the then current prices.

They have probably one of the worst business models on Planet Earth for how to deal with customers.
Yeah, on slightly better than the cable company. They don't have any credit card info so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Norskie
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They will renew at the going rate and send you a bill. Experience here. You should be able to get six months for $20 plus $4 for fees and taxes for total of $24.02. Just did this last week.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Mavrick1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I receive no less than 2 calls a day from Sirius/XM trying to get us to keep their service. I am annoyed to the point of blocking the number but they just call from a different one. It does not sound very good on my 11 GS with Bose. Sounds like AM radio. My wife loves it in her 15 Mustang GT.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Had the opportunity to use it on a 1300 mile road trip last weekend. I wouldn't say it sounds like AM radio, more like FM or MP3's except it's affected by anything overhead. Just a 2 lane overpass or tree cover make it drop out. I thought this system might be better than the one in my Dodge truck but it's not. If anything, it has more dropouts. Oh well, shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth. It will be different when they come back asking for money.

Get notified of new replies

To XM NavTraffic

Quick Reply: XM NavTraffic