C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:48 AM
teddycarnut
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default front camera

always scrapping bottom of car. Need advise on camera. Best prices and where to purchase. How difficult installation Do they really do the job.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:00 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I did this many years ago. I attached the camera on top of the center air dam under the front bumper. I had made a mount and attached the camera to it, then using the center bolt of the air dam, attached the mount/camera to it.
I ran the camera wires through a wire loom, under the coolant overflow tank, and under the brake booster, and into the cabin just above the dead pedal.
I mounted a monitor into the driver sunvisor, so it's stealth until I need to use the camera for parking.
I put some heat insulation over top of the camera to protect it from radiator heat.
I used a camera from Amazon that is a non reversing parking camera, meaning that it shows the image as you would see it.
The normal back up cameras are revered images.
Here is my camera.

And my monitor

It was less than $30.00 for both the camera and monitor back 4-5 years ago.
They still work as intended.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-28-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm not sure how a front camera will be able to help with scraping your air dam, if that's what you're referring to.
The way our cars are built, it is inevitable that occasional rubbing of the air dam on the pavement is going to happen. If your car is lowered, the problem gets much worse. Eventually, you can simply replace the air dam if it gets more damage than you prefer to accept. The part is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

Learning how to approach rolled curbs and depressions in the road surface on an angle can go a long way to minimizing the amount of contact that occurs. Going slower than normal over these spots also can help. But even with all that, I still lightly rub my front air dam almost every time I drive my car.

A camera will simply show you something you already know is there... IMHO it's not going to prevent the car from rubbing.

Garry
Old 05-28-2016, 11:06 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
I'm not sure how a front camera will be able to help with scraping your air dam, if that's what you're referring to.
The way our cars are built, it is inevitable that occasional rubbing of the air dam on the pavement is going to happen. If your car is lowered, the problem gets much worse. Eventually, you can simply replace the air dam if it gets more damage than you prefer to accept. The part is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

Learning how to approach rolled curbs and depressions in the road surface on an angle can go a long way to minimizing the amount of contact that occurs. Going slower than normal over these spots also can help. But even with all that, I still lightly rub my front air dam almost every time I drive my car.

A camera will simply show you something you already know is there... IMHO it's not going to prevent the car from rubbing.

Garry
Good point, but the camera will help you see a parking curb before you crash into it with your front bumper.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes, I can understand a camera for parking, I went a different way and use proximity sensors. It seemed to me the OP was talking about rubbing the air dam though.

Garry
Old 05-28-2016, 11:23 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I always back in. Problem solved.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:30 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

You could try the Curb Alert that many vendors offer. It emits a beep before you hit the air dam on curbs, etc. I like mine. Does emit a few but obvious false warnings. I've had mine for 7 months.

Get notified of new replies

To front camera

Quick Reply: front camera