C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodged a bullet

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Dodged a bullet

Have been looking at a new vehicle for a bit now, specifically a larger car that was well equipped and comfortable. Issue has been SWMBO was having nothing of it. She truly loathes car shopping...

Decided the new Impala was right up our alley and the local dealership actually brought in the exact car I wanted (color/options) so WE went to take a look. Begrudgingly, SWMBO really like the car when she saw it... And asked what they would give us in trade for the 'Vette. She was all about a new vehicle but was insistent the deal was trading my beloved C6 convertible. I was immediately no longer interested...

Took the new Impala for a test ride anyway. Amazingly, she mentions she likes it better than her vehicle (a 2012 Range Rover Evoque) and it seems to have much more room... I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel, this was my plan all along!

Fast forward a couple of hours, we trade her Evoque for the Impala and the 'Vette is saved! The worst part is we (this being the woman who hates car dealerships) actually wound up buying two vehicles- NOT MY IDEA! The dealership had a BRIGHT GREEN 2015 Chevy Sonic RS sitting on the showroom- and couldn't hardly GIVE it away. This thing was WAY over optioned and overpriced for the market here and had been sitting on their lot for close to a year. My teen age daughter "had" a '98 Tahoe 2DR/4WD that we traded as part of the same deal- knocked $4500 off of sticker on the Sonic and gave us $6000 in trade for the old Tahoe.

Mama's happy with the new Impala and feels better with the youngest in a more reliable car. Daughter is ecstatic- or will be when we take delivery since it has a minor mechanical issue they are fixing before delivery. And I dodged a bullet and get to keep on driving my dream car!

Just realized we are now an all Chevy family!

/r

Allen
Old 05-28-2016, 03:09 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

At least your story has a happy ending!
Old 05-28-2016, 04:37 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I am single and had to look up "SWMBO". I have to admit, I did laugh when I read what it meant on the ubran dictionary. Glad things worked out. That Impala looks great!
The following users liked this post:
Allen_B (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:16 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank god i am also one of those sworn bachelors. 64 old years, never made that mistake. I always say there is only one child in this family and he gets everything he wants, and that is me. Some one else making decisions and spending my money, not in this life time. In due respect to op, read your post with interest and smile, not in any judging way mind you. And i got on my knees and thanked lord again, probably the thousand time.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:07 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool story but you better set that woman of yours straight...

No sella the corvetto...

im sure you were just kidding...

I can't imagine the day a significant other be it a wife or husband tells their spouse sell their corvette for an impala...

thats a dangerous day....

Glad your daughters happy too.

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-28-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Darryl Yata (05-30-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Glad you dodged the bullet and in the end everyone walked away happy. But I had to laugh. When we went to go buy my wife her new vehicle a couple years ago we went to the same dealer we had bought my Camaro from & had driven the Vette. When we sat down to make the deal on the vehicle she had chosen, the dealer asked if we would be using the Vette as a trade in. Before I could answer, my wife laughed & said the only thing we'd be trading it in for is for a new one.

Last edited by Welker1; 05-28-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Thank god i am also one of those sworn bachelors. 64 old years, never made that mistake. I always say there is only one child in this family and he gets everything he wants, and that is me. Some one else making decisions and spending my money, not in this life time. In due respect to op, read your post with interest and smile, not in any judging way mind you. And i got on my knees and thanked lord again, probably the thousand time.
A bit tongue-in-cheek, but the Boss Lady does manage the finances.

I was married previously and was a train-wreck on a number of levels, not the least of which was money. I make a modest living on the military and SWMBO makes Lincoln squeal which makes it possible to afford things I want within reason.

She was half-serious about trading the 'Vette but knows all to well that it would be an instant deal-breaker! I'm convinced it was to check my resolve on a big (for us) financial decision. I'm the type what was made for a car lease- swap every few years but unfortunately never actually owning it and never shaking the payment. Guess that's why we balance each other well! As for setting her straight, she's a big mean woman who keeps me outta trouble...

Didn't think I'd be excited about a sedan since I sold my 300 SRT8 a number of years back but the Impala is a pretty solid piece of kit. In the end, I think it all worked out!

/r

Allen
JerriVette (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
No sella the corvetto...
This is ironic since she is very Italian!!
JerriVette (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

So you're probably Irish. Italian men know better.
Impalas are cool, though.
Allen_B (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Very nice ride, I really want one of those for my next daily but can't quite convince myself to spend the coin on one. Yet.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe B.
So you're probably Irish. Italian men know better.
Impalas are cool, though.
Italians are direct, no doubt and yes part-Irish...

Sometimes it's better to play chess when they think the game's checkers...
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Not sure I would have traded a range in on an impala. I had the supercharged range for a week and was totally in love! Not sure on the evoque. I do have to say Chevrolet really stepped it up when it came to the Impala (Still want a 1996 LOL)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

The Impala is absolutely gorgeous!!! Gives Lexus and Acura a real run for the money.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:00 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Similar story..was at Chevy dealer with wife looking to trade her Equinox in on a Camaro SS. Salesman mentioned a Corvette that was just traded in the day before! Result was she kept her Equinox, and we ended up with a third car!! The 08 Corvette!!! Win Win!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jshot00:
Allen_B (05-29-2016), JerriVette (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Allen....I'm sure what your saying is you let your partner "think" she's the boss...that's cool and a good way to keep the piece on a strong willed fiesty woman...

And We knew you and her were kidding that the vette was going to be traded in on the impala as nice as the impala is.

It's like a tease game I'd imagine because she thinks you pay more attention to the corvette than her sometimes..

It came across she was a strong willed and beautiful Italian siren.

Enjoy her and that new Impala and your daughter gets a new ride too,.,
Allen_B (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:57 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Isn't the Impala basically the same as a Caddy ATS? We have one of those and love it. Major problem is that it depreciates very rapidly, so we'll keep it for a while. Why get rid of a good paid-for car that's not worth much on paper?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:51 PM
voodoochikin04
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the new impalas cheap feeling inside? Cheap plastic, creaking noises and such? Never been in the evoque, so can't compare. Also I've never understood how marriages work where one spouse runs the other.. doesnt compute.

Get notified of new replies

To Dodged a bullet

Old 05-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Isn't the Impala basically the same as a Caddy ATS? We have one of those and love it. Major problem is that it depreciates very rapidly, so we'll keep it for a while. Why get rid of a good paid-for car that's not worth much on paper?
Actually the new Impala is based on the LWB Epsilon chassis, shared (for now) with the XTS and the Buick LaCrosse. The ATS rides on whats called the Alpha platform, shared with the CTS and new Camaro.

Based on the previous generation Impalas, you couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me one much less pay money for it. I drove an LT appointed new Impala awhile back which is what piqued my interest.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
Are the new impalas cheap feeling inside? Cheap plastic, creaking noises and such? Never been in the evoque, so can't compare. Also I've never understood how marriages work where one spouse runs the other.. doesnt compute.
Surprisingly, the Impala is much quieter with better fit and less rattles, creaks and pops than the Evoque.

The Evoque is a pretty cool vehicle, but it just never "fit" me. The interior looks nice but just seems to be set up odd- meaning the armrests, steering wheel and such never seemed properly placed. Sure it is a personal preference but even with all of the adjustments in the cockpit, it never felt "right". Fell in love at 1st sight but after a couple of years the oddities became more apparent.

I have to say that I was impressed with an Impala LT I rented a year or so ago, but blown away with the LTZ we bought. The fit and finish is some of the best I've seen in any vehicle. I was also looking at the Cadillac CTS, Audi A6 and (briefly) at BMW but surprisingly, the Impala felt better. No, it doesn't have the moniker but it is also $20k or so less expensive and VERY well equipped, rides nice and is almost eerily quiet. I did like the new CTS but there was something about the lines in the interior that I just didn't care for.

Go drive one (LT or higher trim) and see for yourself. It may not appeal to everyone, but is sure as hell isn't the Chevy from 10+ years ago!

/r

Allen
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Not the car I would buy. I'm more of a RWD, all wheel drive type of person. However if it makes you and your wife/daughter happy that's all that counts. Enjoy your new rides and of course your continued use of your Vette.

Quick Reply: Dodged a bullet